Rule#1 - Don't run your saw out of gas.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nhawlman

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Juniata County hills of central Pennsylvania.
An Amish neighbor spends his winters in the woods with a battered Husky in his hands. He cuts his own firewood for his house and Greenhouse, and any time left goes into Mill logs.

His #1 rule is not to run your saw out of gas unless you plan to vacation it. His reason is that he thinks the hot engine running out of gas will get minimal lubrication on the last revs. And there is less chance of running out of chain lube. Plus the saw is easier to start with gas in the carb, His saw looks really bad, but runs really good. Any comments on his rule?

Nevin

Sounds dead on, when the saw is running out of gas the RPM goes up and it stops 4 strokeing and starts 2 strokeing. It is running lean putting out more heat higher rpm and with less lubrication, not good, then it stops suddenly with no cool-down. Then when you go to restart it, it takes a lot more yanking that is also no good, just like cold starting a car engine, lots of metal to metal with little or no lube.

I have to admit I often forget to refill when cutting fire wood, but back off and shut it down at the first sound of running out of gas. I do make it a habit when milling to top up more often and not run out.

Is rule #2 something about using buttons instead of zippers or Velcro?

Please do not run out of fuel

Yep all of those things and more, remember the oil is in the fuel, no fuel then there is no new lube, only whats left around as residue, the modern 2 T synthetic oils are better nowadays, but when the fuel is spent.

The washing effect it has as its runs around the system evaporates leaving concentrates of burnt oil to gather, which can eventually bung rings, especially after leaving the engine to dry off what moisture is left and putting it away tillnext time you use her.

And if the saw is well worn and a amount of piston slap is present, when the fuel starts to run out and the revs go up, and over revving can cause big problems for older saws, this all happens over a longer period of time of course.

Saws with a primer are better at starting than others as any stale fuel left in the carb is flushed through as you prime her up prior to starting.

A 2 STROKE ENGINE IS A FINELY TUNED PIECE OF KIT, LOOK AFTER HER AND SHE WON'T LET YOU DOWN.

Davy.

then why is it recommended to empty fuel tank and burning fuel out of carb for storage? some thread i read recently suggested to do this if your not going to use the saw for a month even. others suggest there may be enough fuel stabilizer in todays oil mix to leave it in the saw. would it not be best then to top up fuel tank and add more fuel stabilizer when storing?

the reason you run it out when you are storing it is because the gas goes bad and causes carb problems.

Running out for storage is once in a long while, running out of gas on every tank could be 5 times a day or more.

I took one carburetor apart that sat over winter in a tractor, and vowed to have no more of that. The scum that was in the bowl and low spots of that carb, was just like the scum on the inside of a varnish can lid. What a mess, what a job!

Now my Mowers and weed wackers get the "run it out of gas" treatment. Sometimes they also get the "squirt oil in the spark plug hole" treatment, and pull the starter rope.

It's not too late to winterize your carbs even now.

Health and Happiness,
Nevin

nhawlman said:
I think Rule #2 is "Be nice unto others, if ye expect others to be nice unto you"

Fair enough but I'm curious as to how the Amish rationalize away their use of such a modern contraption as a chainsaw? And, since the Amish claim to want to shun moderninity, why would we want their advice on the maintainance of 'modern' devices? And finally, what's with all the Amish talk around here lately?
John...

/are they using computors now too?

whatsnext said:
Fair enough but I'm curious as to how the Amish rationalize away their use of such a modern contraption as a chainsaw? And, since the Amish claim to want to shun moderninity, why would we want their advice on the maintainance of 'modern' devices? And finally, what's with all the Amish talk around here lately?
John...

/are they using computors now too?

A chainsaw is not capable of transporting them anywhere. Different clans have different beliefs. Many Amish use somewhat modern farm equipment pulled by horses. Instead of a tractor PTO operating the machine, they have engines on them. Some Amish will even use modern tractors but they must equip them with steel wheels. I even seen a skid steer loader once with steel wheels on it! Talk about a rough ride!:blob2:

I delivered a truckload of corn to an Amish farm once, expecting to have to help shovel the 300+ bu of grain somewhere. But they had an elevator powered by a Honda engine. The engine mount was designed to allow quick removal so the same motor could power several different pieces of equipment. The same farm also had a large furniture "factory" with several pieces of woodworking equipment all powered by one 4 cyl diesel engine through an intricate series of shafts, belts, and pulleys. Very interesting to see!

Thanks !

nhawlman said:
An Amish neighbor spends his winters in the woods with a battered Husky in his hands. He cuts his own firewood for his house and Greenhouse, and any time left goes into Mill logs.

His #1 rule is not to run your saw out of gas unless you plan to vacation it. His reason is that he thinks the hot engine running out of gas will get minimal lubrication on the last revs. And there is less chance of running out of chain lube. Plus the saw is easier to start with gas in the carb, His saw looks really bad, but runs really good. Any comments on his rule?

Nevin

I never gave it a thought, I always ran my chainsaw out of gas. And it's usually hard to start when it runs out. Then I pull and pull or flood it with the choke. I wonder why the owner's manual didn't mention it. Maybe they like selling new chainsaws?

Thanks for the tip, Nevin.

I try never to run my saws out of gas while at high power. However, I have idled them out of gas for storage. Upon saw and engine disassembly (after idling out of gas) I have noticed there is still adequate lubrication present. Maybe others have had different results but I do not worry about it.

Fuel up every time you get a chance. Suppose you've faced up a big tree and are just well into the back cut and reaching for a wedge and...the saw runs out of gas. And the wind's blowing. And its a damn leaner,too. And you're still out of gas. How far from the tree and in which direction do you go to refuel and how quick can you do it and get back to the tree before mother nature plays a nasty trick on your intended falling direction? 'Course if the tree set back on your saw before you got the wedge in you get to try to fuel it right there...or pull the powerhead and repeat all of the above. Its just a whole lot easier to refuel and not run out of gas than to go through all the crap that happens otherwise.:bang:

Back