Rules to storm scavenging wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buildmyown

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So are there rules to scavenging wood that has been downed my a storm? Specifically wood left by the road side. We got hit pretty good by Irene and she took down a lot of trees in my area. So the day after the storm I grab the truck saws and fuel and hit the roads around my area. First day struck out second day was decent small load of maple already cut to firewood size stacked at the curb with a free sign. Third day saw an uprooted oak about 18" and 25 feet long with free spray painted on it. Score I thought jump out grab the saw and go to work get it all cut and loaded and the brush stacked by the curb. I didnt know anyone was home till I was finished and loading the saws and haveing some water. The homeowner comes out and says thanks but arent you going to take the stump and rake up the saw dust. I was hot tired and a little on edge my reply was do I look like a tree service. The way I see it I just did this guy a favor now call a tree service and have the stump ground and get a rake for the saw dust. I dont think I was out of line at all. So what say you guys what are your normal rules for this I have never had the chance to get wood from a storm.

Case number 2 Kinda long but have to set up the scene.
I have/had a very large oak that was at the end of my driveway but across the street not on my property. If you want to get technical it was really on the towns property since they own so many feet in from the center of the road. This tree was 40 inches plus at breast height then about 12 feet or so up it split into two main stems and had a hugh canopy it was a very large very old beautiful tree till this storm the winds broke the rear stem off. That stem feel into the guys yard across the street i have no problem with him and as far as I know they dont have a problem with me. The extent of out conversations have been "hi" and a friendly wave in passing. I know they do not use wood but his brother in law who lives next door to him does. Well the day after the storm the BIL had that whole stem cleaned up and brush stacked. No harm no foul were not friends and they are related and its not my tree. The BIL and I get along and have helped each other out in the past when we need it. Fast foward to yesterday I come home from work and see 3 white X's painted on the tree I know this tree is now marked for removal just dont know when. Come home from work today and the tree is down. Turns out the town has big orange running around doing all the removals of the damaged trees. All they did was bomb this whole tree down into the guys yard and left a hugh mess. Taking my mailbox out in the process. Walk over to the BIL house and they are on vacation for the long weekend according to the house sitter. So I think about it for a few and say screw it grab the saws and the truck and head over. Get a lot cut in about an hour before rocking the hell out of a chain. Im in the process of swaping chains when the guys wife and daughter pull in they get out of the car and smile and wave and into the house thye go. Cool they dont seem to have a problem so I go about cutting and loading when the daughter was nice enough to bring me out a big jug of ice water. Sweet I was dying and about to walk up to my house for a drink we chat for a few and that was that and oh to be 16 again but thats another story. So I finish loading and head home. There is still a ton of wood im guessing at least 3 cords in the main trunk and then all the limb wood. I have no problem spliting wood with the BIL when he gets back he is better equiped to deal with the large wood has a tractor. I just dont want to see this tree end up in a land fill or tub grinder so a made a crude sign and stuck it to the butt end of the trunk that you can see from the road that says. "Please leave will use for firewood thanks the home owner" Yeah I know a little fib but cant hurt. So what does a town do in a situation like this wil they send log trucks and chippers around to pick this stuff up or will it fall on the homeowner. I would take tomorrow off to get more done but then I wouldnt get paid for the holiday on Monday.

Oh and in this case I have no problem cleaning up in case I do screw them out of a free yard cleanup.

I try to be very up-front w/ the homeowner w/ regards to what I will/won't do. I ask a lot of questions about access, potential turf damage, etc. Discuss the equipment I plan to bring & how it will impact their property. When it goes well, it's a great thing. I scrounged what I think will be about 2 1/2 cords of white oak yesterday. The lady brought out a cooler of waters, did some pruning to help w/ access, & gave me some bug spray after I ran out. Got a handshake, a little labor, & several thank yous from the husband when he got home. They also offered to give my # out to any neighbors w/ down trees.

As for your second scenario, I think you're fine to put the sign up, but I would have had the house sitter or other neighbor get in touch w/ the property owner. Cutting on somebody else's property w/o permission can cause problems.

Pretty simple...if it's not yours, leave it lay. If you want it get permission.
+1

Lots of wood after a stom. In most cases, damaged trees get stacked by the right-of-way for the local government to dispose of for a certain period of time following a major event. It is up to the propery owner, tree services, or volunteer groups to move the downed trees to the curb for pickup. Insurance usually does not cover this, unless the trees hit the house. Most of the time, no one cares if you take some of this wood, as it helps to get rid of it.

However, they are very concerned if you get hurt removing it, or if your activity interferes with the contracted crews, utility workers, etc., as this adds to their problems. Storm damaged trees can be tricky. That is why the city (township, etc.) may be reluctant to give you formal approval. The emergency managers and local law enforcement are also very leery of fly-by-night tree services that prey on homeowners after a storm, so anyone who is not local, with an unmarked truck, or who looks like Larry, Darryl, or his other brother Darryl, is suspect. It is also possible that the homeowner has plans for the wood.

As Steve2910 notes, if you approach the property owner, tell them who you are, and are upfront about what you are planning to do and not do, you will probably not have any problems and they will probably be very grateful. If you drive across their lawn, they probably will not be. As I have noted in the past, if you are helping to remove trees from their driveways, sidewalks, lawns, etc, everyone will probably be more appreciative than if you are just scrounging from the curb. Leave the pile neater than you found it. If you are doing this as a business, or any money is involved, things could change.

After a big storm, there are usually lots of trees down, so if someone is not home, or they seem leery of you cutting their trees, go on to the next house or leave a note - there are probably others a few doors down that will be happy to see you.

Philbert

as a contractor working on storm cleanup for homeowners, I must say its the woodchucks like yourself that are screwing me and my guys. we lost over $3,000 of work in a matter of 18 hours to people who will do the cleanup for "free" for the wood (after I wasted my time driving around looking at the jobs). go scavage the wood thats in the woods by the road, don't touch the ones on residential properties unless you're invited in!

as a contractor working on storm cleanup for homeowners, I must say its the woodchucks like yourself that are screwing me and my guys. we lost over $3,000 of work in a matter of 18 hours to people who will do the cleanup for "free" for the wood (after I wasted my time driving around looking at the jobs). go scavage the wood thats in the woods by the road, don't touch the ones on residential properties unless you're invited in!

Really? It's your wood? You are entitled to to that work? How about all the other contractors 'screwing you' out of your entitlement by competing for the jobs. Do they also tell you to stay away from residential properties unless you're invited in!

Philbert

If I see a tree in someone's yard and it's got "free" spraypainted on it, I'm going to clarify with the homeowner what I'll take and what I won't and I'll slice that sucker up and haul it out of there.

Your problem is with the homeowners who let people come in and take the wood for free (and leave a mess for you to clean up anyway I bet) after they've contracted with you to remove it. If you're complaining that you're doing bidding on a job and not getting the job, well thats just sales...happens in every industry. Most of the places around here are up front and say they'll charge for estimates and will waive the charge if you have the work done.

You ever consider the fact that not everyone can afford to hire a tree service for cleanup after a storm? Guys that volunteer their time to help clean up and exchange their time for the firewood provide a service just like you do, they just happen to place more value on the firewood than on an hourly wage.In short, they are merely working for less money than you are.And where is the problem in that?

Damaged trees that are still a hazard to buildings and other property should be left for the pros, and that is why in most cases when doing cleanup my fees are on a sliding scale. When the tornado came through our town in April, I worked a little more than half of the time for free to help those that needed the help but couldnt afford it. A ten minute conversation with the homeowner and a quick look at their property, cars in the driveway, and their dress clearly told me if they were indigent folks who couldnt afford my $50 per man hour rate, or if they were financially able and just looking for a freebie. And I based my rates accordingly.

And the result?I handed out over a hundred business cards and work has been brisk all summer long because of it. I instantly earned a reputation of a fair guy willing to help others, and financially it was the best form of advertising I have ever done.1/3 of my business this summer has come directly from word of mouth after the storm, and in every case where I have gone to give an estimate since, the homeowner didnt even bother getting a second estimate. Almost all of them told me flat out that they had heard from a neighbor, friend, or relative that I was an honest business man, trustworthy, and charged only for the work performed.

Do a little thinking before you bash the volunteers next time. In the event that you ever suffer from a natural disaster and need the assistance of someone who has the skill and work ethic to help without a paycheck involved, you might be glad deep down inside that you are simply being handed a gift that was payed forward and you are simply being on the receiving end this time.

I know without a doubt you are thinking right now, "yeah, I have overhead man.I have boom truck payments, chippers to maintain,fuel, insurance, etc and they all dont come free" and your right.Maybe financially you are not able to fund any volunteer work. But dont bash the ones that are in a situation that allows them to volunteer their time, even if it means nothing more than a chance to stock up on some firewood.

F%#* off BDS, if you don't have a signed contract anyone can approach the property owner and take the job free or not. This is a free country you have no right to tell people what to do.

I'll admit to beeing a newbie when it comes to scrounging, but I never cut without asking the homeowner first. It is theft if you take wood without them giving you the ok.

I'm not a big fan at all of cutting wood out of somebodies yard, and I'm certainly not going to clean up the brush at trash that goes along with it for free, BUT....you didn't lose $3000 of work, you never had it. You didn't get it because somebody bid the job cheaper, perhaps a whole lot cheaper. Such is business, suck it up.

What a ####...

Even if the down wood is on the "right of way" it still belongs to the adjacent property owner.

It is always appropriate to inquire first. In most storm situations, once it is at the curb, the property owner just wants it gone, and will be happy to oblige as long as you do not leave a bigger mess.

I was thinking that I would really pi** BSD off if he knew that I sometimes travel to other states at my own expense just to screw him out of wood he deserves by driving around so much.

In reality, when the volunteer groups go through, they usually clean up the smaller, easier to get stuff, and leave the larger, more technical stuff for the pros and commercial outfits. They usually prioritize on low-income households, seniors, etc., that are referred to them by the county Emergency Manager, rather than the well-heeled. I have received my share of glares from landscapers, but actually, we often make their jobs easier by clearing brush and limbs, an improving access so that they can get at and do more of the paid, technical stuff.

But if the 'storm cleanup contractor' is piling his limbs at the curb for the city/county/FEMA/whomever contractor to haul, it shouldn't really matter to him if the woodchucks help themselves to it, as long as they do not interfere with his crew.

JMHO

Philbert

think what you want. i don't give a rats ass. This is my livelyhood. we had verbal agreements with everyone for all our jobs. In CT that's as good as on paper. 3 of our jobs called me back within 6-18 hours to say they didn't need us to do it any more. These were ALL people who sought us out to clean up their properties after the storm. We didn't strong arm anyone into anything. They came to us, we bid them, we closed the deal and then the weekend warrriors fired up their saws and decided to be heros all for the wood. I understand helping a neighbor out maybe, but in all three cases "some guy in a pickup stopped by and said he'd cleanup and take the wood for free"

My point is, there is no need to go on private property. there is destruction everywhere, just pick them up out of the shoulder of the road. hell, you can even go to the town dump and haul it out after the town guys haul it in.

think what you want. i don't give a rats ass. This is my livelyhood. we had verbal agreements with everyone for all our jobs. In CT that's as good as on paper. 3 of our jobs called me back within 6-18 hours to say they didn't need us to do it any more. These were ALL people who sought us out to clean up their properties after the storm. We didn't strong arm anyone into anything. They came to us, we bid them, we closed the deal and then the weekend warrriors fired up their saws and decided to be heros all for the wood. I understand helping a neighbor out maybe, but in all three cases "some guy in a pickup stopped by and said he'd cleanup and take the wood for free"

My point is, there is no need to go on private property. there is destruction everywhere, just pick them up out of the shoulder of the road. hell, you can even go to the town dump and haul it out after the town guys haul it in.

I beg to differ, but unless you have it in writing you have nothing. Perhaps it was not "wood scroungers" at all, but "professionals" who were more professional than you. This is a free market economy and you have no power to dictate how others spend their money or who they hire to perform their jobs.

Perhaps there is a reason that 3 people decided NOT to do business with you in an 18 hour period...

Latest posts

Back