Russian olive

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Odog

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
anybody ever burn any Russian olive? I've heard good and bad. As a kid I remember dad burning it in piles just to get rid of it and a terrible creaosoot smell. Then I heard today a few people love it, burns great with little ash?

anybody ever burn any Russian olive? I've heard good and bad. As a kid I remember dad burning it in piles just to get rid of it and a terrible creaosoot smell. Then I heard today a few people love it, burns great with little ash?
I wouldn't get near that stuff. I did a job where I had to get rid of 6 or 7 of those things and the thorns on those things are straight from hell. I had one go right through the sole of my boot into my foot!

I would walk away from it. It is hard on chains, and smells pretty bad when it burns. I learned this lesson the hard way.

I was afraid I was remembering wrong. I've turned down a bunch of it because I kept thinking It wasn't worth the trouble, but then like I said a couple people have said it burns pretty good so I got to second guessing myself. I figured I'd get a good second opinion on here

Fortunately we don't have any Russian olive around our place, but loads of autumn olive. It burns rather well and is dense, but I rarely have any big enough to bother with. I'm forever cutting/mowing it down. Eventually some will probably get large enough to harvest, which I will gladly do. May as well burn the invasive stuff.

Back