Ryobi Chainsaw - Tough Cord Pull

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PM1035

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all,
I need a little help with a cheap Ryobi (C4618) chainsaw I bought at HD 3 years ago. What happens now is that the pull cord is so jerky when trying to start it. I pulled the spark plug and the cord pulls so smoothly and the piston looks good.
I cleaned it all up and put a little oil in the spark plug port. Actually got it started but it’s so difficult to pull. Is there anything I can do to free up this pull cord harshness?
d4210c9c1dcc6816d5e30f80a6ec6343.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

By jerky do you mean it catches then slips then catches again? If that's the case I would pull the recoil off ad look at the pulley, maybe the part that grabs the starter paws is getting stripped. Also look at the starter paws and make sure they are working like they should.

In my experience

If you pour oil down the spark plug hole and try and pull start it the oil will increase compression significantly and make it even harder to pull.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Ronnie. Yes it will grab then slip, grab then slip. Really difficult though. Especially with rotator cuff problems. I’ll check the part that grabs the starter. It has so few hours on it. Wish it was an easy fix. That’s life though...

So since chainsaws have some compression, how easy should it be to pull? Is it still a little jerky? It’s been a long time since I started a good working/ normal Chainsaw.

I looked over the starter cover,starter pulley and cord and it all looks new with no cracks anywhere. When the spark plug is out it’s so nice a smooth - of course no resistance. It just seems it’s catching on something. Is there such a thing as too much compression like U&A suggested-an increase of compression.

To be honest I've never poured oil into the cylinder and don't know how much it would increase compression. I have had saws with a lot of compression and they can be a pain it the ---- to pull over. Try to take it right past the top of the stroke, when it just starts to get easier to pull and start from there.

Im guessing its just the nature of the beast.

It doesn’t have a compression release for starting aid?

If it is easy to pull with the plug out than i assume your bearings are ok and it hasn’t been straight gassed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope, no compression relief. I see so many people posting this issue in other forums with never a resolution. I’m going to Home Depot to see how new ones feel.

Nope, no compression relief. I see so many people posting this issue in other forums with never a resolution. I’m going to Home Depot to see how new ones feel.

That's a good idea, then you will know what it should feel like and have something to compare yours with.

If the carburetor is leaking fuel into cylinder this will happen. If it's easier to pull after running a little that's the issue.

Funny I was watching this video and no way does my cord pull this easy. Maybe 10x more difficult...

Hey found this one with my exact problem. This guy says vapor lock. What’s vapor lock?

He’s a weeping vaqina, & needs to pull that starter cord like it owes him money!

Vapor lock is when the fuel is heated too high & turns from a liquid to a vapor. Vapor cannot be pumped by the carb diaphragm & the saw runs lean or dies. The saw would have to be really hot to make that happen, and his saw looks cold...

Any saw with compression north of 150 psi will be “jerky” if the cord is pulled slowly.

Back