Ryobi Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HadleyPA

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So yesterday I was at a Reconditioned tool store and they had Ryobi C4618 saws on sale for $62.00. I picked one up figuring at that price it would be a good loaner saw that I wouldn't care much about and might come in nice for some light limbing work. Gas and oil today and fired it up. Went down and finished cutting up a tree that I had dropped a few weeks ago. Ran pretty good for a $62 saw, but that damn safety chain has got to go if I run it much and I don't have any other 18" chains and being it is Sunday and the only place open is TSC I ran it with that chain. Anyhow I just wandered if anybody else had any experience with one of these so when the neighbor shows up and wants to borrow it I can give him some pointers since I really don't plan on running it much myself. Next question is does anybody know who actually makes these. Judging by the looks of it I am assuming it is probably the same company that makes poulan, homelite, etc...

With a decent non safety chain fitted i would consider this saw to be to good to be a loaner. Do a muff mod & I think you will be will pleased with your $62 purchase, & won`t want some numpty wrecking it, just my penny worth. :msp_smile:

Some of the Ryobi machines are Homelites too. Without a pic, I have no idea. With a little TLC, those Homelites can run fair as well. They were the last iteration of John Deere branded saws for a while. Probably part of the reason that they are not private labeling handheld OPE anymore. The silly "JD" Homelite trimmers were considerably more expensive then the same ones in red at the big-box, and none of them are/were very good.

No idea what engine, all I did before gasing was pull off the air cleaner cover and look at air cleaner. Will check it more in depth later.

No idea what engine, all I did before gasing was pull off the air cleaner cover and look at air cleaner. Will check it more in depth later.
It's not a Poulan - I believe it is a Homelite.

The 46 cc version is manufactured in China and was sold under a number of names. Ryobi, Homelite, MTD, John Deere, and so on. No connection with Poulan. The tag on it should state it was made in China and give the month and year of production. They are a simple clamshell design that is adequate for the average homeowner even though it looks like a concrete block with a bar and chain.

A muffler mod and retune is essential for it to run well. Modifying the muffler is not difficult at all on those, you should be able to find a couple of threads about it here. With a muffler mod and a good chain it will make a decent saw. I know a few guys who have cut lots of wood with one without complaint.

It's not a Poulan - I believe it is a Homelite.

I think the "Homelite" name changed hands recently, and MTD put a Ryobi sticker on it for sale at Home Depot. Air leak on a neighbors, case bolts and carb mount vibrate loose causing lean condition. 20" too much bar on his, but it can cut. If I remember right the carb used the MTD/ ryobi addjustment tool, but is been a couple years since I played with it.

The 46 cc version is manufactured in China and was sold under a number of names. Ryobi, Homelite, MTD, John Deere, and so on. No connection with Poulan. The tag on it should state it was made in China and give the month and year of production. They are a simple clamshell design that is adequate for the average homeowner even though it looks like a concrete block with a bar and chain.

A muffler mod and retune is essential for it to run well. Modifying the muffler is not difficult at all on those, you should be able to find a couple of threads about it here. With a muffler mod and a good chain it will make a decent saw. I know a few guys who have cut lots of wood with one without complaint.

The paper trail I followed re the 46cc Ryobi led to MTD products. They show up on the local CL, but I haven't found one for a 'low enough' price to tempt me.

Latest posts

Back