Sachs Dolmar 166

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the tree guy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Does anyone out there have a coil for a 166 that works?Have gotten 2 from two local shops and came d.o.a.ANY help would be great!Also could use the plunger rod for the hand oiler system.Thank you,:D .Dan

I had a 166 at one time. I think it had the longest stroke of any factory chain saw, 48mm. BTW I think the 090 was the big bore champ @ 66mm. The one I had also went through a coil. Try to get a new one if you can because used ones seem to be weak.
Speaking of coils and ignitions on chain saws; Why can't the manufacturers make fewer styles, configurations, and mountings? You know it would be handy. Bosch, Prufex, Phelon and Japan seem to make most ignitions. I have noticed that several are so close that they can almost be used on a different piece of equipment. I bet there is some interchangability. When you consider that there are also coils on weedeaters, blowers and other two stroke engines, there must be some duplication. I wonder if the ignition makers have an inter-changeability chart? Do you think they would share it with us tinkerers? Mike

Mike,
When are you and Jon going to use 166 bottom end parts to make a hybrid 150cc saw for racing. That I'd like to see.:blob2:

I like the theme that Mike has going. When you think about it, many of these small motors have similar flywheel diameters, and there are only so many ways to mount the coil...usually screws down to the cylinder.

Why wouldn't it be a good idea to (maybe) carefully butter on a bit of weld to a cyl if the mounting bosses aren't right and face off in a mill? Or Fab a mtg bracket? If the flywheel radius of the donor coil was even reasonably close to that of the transplant patient, I'd say it would be good enough, no need to mess with the laminations.

Don't worry , we have considered it. The base circle on the Sachs is not big enough to over-bore the cylinder and install an 090 piston. The cylinder of the 090 is too short to accept the longer stroke. It could be done with a lot of machine work but it is easier to adapt a motorcycle crank and cylinder onto an 090 carcass. A racer back east did it and built a 250cc 090. His name is Hallet Warwick and if I remember correctly he used Suzuki parts. Mike

Man, that's got to be one seriously stroked 090, Mike. 136 or so cc's to 250. Wow. After a while I guess the terms "stock appearing" or "chainsaw engine" start to get meaningless.:eek:

I have a box of 133/166 parts...all new....I will see what I can dig up for you...

Mike..what can we do with my KTM 540 pist/cyl??? Maybe I should bring it down at Christmas...:D I am hoping to hook up with you and Jon, Ken and Art this winter...make sure the beverage cabinet is full;)

Ben..I do believe my KTM 540 is the largest single cylinder, two stroke bike ever built...not positive though....the piston for the bike just cost me 500usd...this summer...as no aftermarket company builds them...

Dennis, I currently ride a 03 cr250 wiht a cr 500 motor shoehorned into the frame. I love the bike. No replacement for displacement.
BTW next time you need apisotn give me a call. I have several industry contacts.

Originally posted by rupedoggy
I had a 166 at one time. I think it had the longest stroke of any factory chain saw, 48mm. BTW I think the 090 was the big bore champ @ 66mm. The one I had also went through a coil. Try to get a new one if you can because used ones seem to be weak.
Speaking of coils and ignitions on chain saws; Why can't the manufacturers make fewer styles, configurations, and mountings? You know it would be handy. Bosch, Prufex, Phelon and Japan seem to make most ignitions. I have noticed that several are so close that they can almost be used on a different piece of equipment. I bet there is some interchangability. When you consider that there are also coils on weedeaters, blowers and other two stroke engines, there must be some duplication. I wonder if the ignition makers have an inter-changeability chart? Do you think they would share it with us tinkerers? Mike

I've found this to be correct with ignitions also especially Phelon,wico systems. Most of the time if theres a difference its the coil core. So if you cant find a certain style you could swap the cores. That is if you can carefuly pull them apart which can be tough.

Thanks for looking,I am going to try and make a stihl one work.Some are very close to the dolmar.I do have some bad news Dennis,your ktm is not the largest off road single made.Maico made a 760 back in the late 70s early 80s,rode for Maico in 76-79.I rode a 250 way back when.:D .Dan

Yes it was a 2-stroke,but I think it was a very low rpm motor(if I remember right).I don't think it ran over 6000rpms.The 490(maico)put out all most as much power just over more rpms.BWALKER, nice honda,:D Dan

Back