Sachs=Dolmar 7900

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SawTroll

Information Collector
Reaction score
As far as I know, Sachs hasn't had anything to do with Dolmar, since they sold Dolmar to Makita in 1991 or so.

As you describe the situation, the 7900 probably is the right saw (I have never used one, but I have read lots of reports from people who have).

Last edited:
The 2171 and 372 are the same saw except the 2171 looks better and has the correct handle bar angle! But the Dolmars numbers are much better if you have a dealer near you go for it!

As you describe the situation, the 7900 probably is the right saw (I have never used one, but I have read lots of reports from people who have).

Exactly, 100%, totally right-on.

Having run my muffler-modded 7900 alongside the 441/044/460, the 372 and 441-post woods porting, and the 066, I think that the 7900's behavior is much more like that of the 066 than the other saws in terms of its depth of torque. It just has more grunt than the 440/441/460 and 372s, without the bulk or weight of the 066. Vibration is practically non-existant, better than the Stihls (including 441) and in my opinion better than the Husqvarnas,too. It is also surprisingly light for its power. Durability seems to be on a par with other major-brand pro saws.

I have yet to find anyone who dislikes this saw and most people who run one end up buying one.

Here are a couple videos that might give you a sense of the saw's behavior. The small wood was ash and the larger is cottonwood:

And for comparison, the 066:

"Correct" should read "uncorrect", or "wrong"............

...guess it was just a misprint.......:biggrinbounce2:
Yes we meet again over this! but you know as well as I do it is all about personal feel!I also know you cut small tree's like I do that is why we use 15&16 bars alot more than some on here!:hmm3grin2orange:

Yes we meet again over this! but you know as well as I do it is all about personal feel!I also know you cut small tree's like I do that is why we use 15&16 bars alot more than some on here!:hmm3grin2orange:

Sure, the handlebar angle is just an issue that is fun to tease some people about........:biggrinbounce2: ;)

..some times I have even said that the streight across handlebar is a safety hazard, as the bar is more likely to hit your head, instead of going over your shoulder, in case of kickback - the truth is that it all depends on your stance, but with my stance, it would be.....

To avoid it, I'd have to bend my left wrist into a unnatural position, in most situations.

Last edited:
I had the misfortune of running a 7900 a couple of months ago...

Since then, I've bought two 7900's. One for my Dad. One for myself.

It is one odd looking, cutting fool of a saw. You won't be disappointed by its performance. And the giggles and finger pointing of your friends quickly cease once the chain hits the wood.

everyone so far that has ran my 7900

Has been impressed with the power and lack of vibration. I am sure you will be too

Thanks for the help, guys. I'll bring a chunk of hard maple to the dealer, and run the 7900 in it. I'm sure leaning toward the Dolmar after hearing your opinions.
Richard L.

For the $569 powerhead price without shipping to whatever you end up paying with a b+c at the dealers. Why not buy one and put the sucker through a real test of cutting the way you have with your other saws and then get back with us and let us know how it does in real world logger use.
Mine weighs in with full gas mix and bar oil with the short 16" b+c at 18.5lbs and just a pretty empty powerhead only weight of 13.5lbs. I run 16",20",32" without any problems for us harry homeowner types.

Has been impressed with the power and lack of vibration. I am sure you will be too

The odd thing is that in Germany they seem to be about to ban the 7900 becouse of excessive vibe numbers, while the MS460 is OK - but imo those numbers tell just a small part of the real story.....

I think the issue isn't real, just an act of bureaucracy......

The odd thing is that in Germany they seem to be about to ban the 7900 becouse of excessive vibe numbers, while the MS460 is OK - but imo those numbers tell just a small part of the real story.....

The regulations we have around here are bad enough, but I cannot imagine living in a country where the paternalistic state feels empowered to intrude into these sorts of decisions. Insane.

The regulations we have around here are bad enough, but I cannot imagine living in a country where the paternalistic state feels empowered to intrude into these sorts of decisions. Insane.

They said the 7900 could only be used (safely) for just one hour +something per day without injury, I believe...

I believe the insanity is about to happen (or already has) in GB too.....

....makes you wonder how loggers survived earlier, for sure.....:bang: :bang:

I can't attest that any of this really are true though, it might just be internet rumors, but I don't really think so.....

Last edited:
Nice

I can't say good enough things about my 7900. It's kind of hard to compare the 79 to say your 2171 as there's too much of a difference. Unless you hop up a 372 or a 2171 it's not even a match in the bigger stuff. I use my 7900 in hardwoods between say 10 and 30" and it's a champ. I don't have anything faster or that cuts with more ease. It's always smooth, starts 2nd pull everytime, even when it's -20 and been sittin' in my Jeep for days... Go get one and you'll never look back brotha... :cheers: :rock:

When US Dealers first see a NEW model saw from Germany we always see soft AV mounts for this standard that Troll is talking about.... The Problem with the SOFT mounts is LONGER bars are too much for the softer AV mounts. So in Europe where 13"-16" bars are the norm. the soft AV mounts are fine but here in the good ol US of A where woodsmen prefer 20" to 32" bars we NEED the STRONGER AV MOUNTS...

Scott

I like the 7900's. They are without a doubt the stoutest running out of the box 5 cube saw I have ever run.

When US Dealers first see a NEW model saw from Germany we always see soft AV mounts for this standard that Troll is talking about.... The Problem with the SOFT mounts is LONGER bars are too much for the softer AV mounts. So in Europe where 13"-16" bars are the norm. the soft AV mounts are fine but here in the good ol US of A where woodsmen prefer 20" to 32" bars we NEED the STRONGER AV MOUNTS...

Scott

I believe you are mostly right - 18" bar on a 372xp (the few that are around) is quite normal here....

My comment was just meant to point out an oddity, not as a case against Dolmar - even with my arthritis riddeled fingers, I really don't feel much vibes from the 5100, in fact I love to use it, really cool saw, for the right application (= about everything here ).....

.. but the 5100 is the only saw we have, that has a plastic clutch cover, even the much smaller 339xp has a magnesium one...(I knew that before I ordered it, so it is not a critisism agains you, just a note).

For you others, Scott and Steve at The Cutting Edge set us up with a really good deal on Witchys PS5100SH, and they are a delight to deal with!!!!!!

Last edited:
Back