Sachs=Dolmar 7900

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the 7900 vibrates on par with the 441, much less then most of hte "older" saws.\
mine is muffler modded, and holes in the air intake plastic.

i bucked firewood beside two loggers last winter, one had a woods ported 460, the other a 660.

the 7900 cut almost as fast as the 660, but for sure was the lightest of the bunch.

The odd thing is that in Germany they seem to be about to ban the 7900 becouse of excessive vibe numbers, while the MS460 is OK - but imo those numbers tell just a small part of the real story.....

I think the issue isn't real, just an act of bureaucracy......

Haha. I wonder what Germany would say about my Kawasaki bike saw? :chainsaw:

Andy

I searched high and low to get somebody to sell me a Dolmar 7900.
It was worth it.
I had the opportunity to run it again today :clap: , and while it IS heavier than the specs would lead you to believe (full with a larger bar), it has no equal. It has quite a bit more power than the 2171 or a 441, and WAY more power than a 575, pretty close in weight.
VERY low vibes, and a real smooth fast cutter.
If you feel comfortable with fixing your own saw potentially, get one, and there are plenty of places around here to get the parts you need.

:popcorn:

The regulations we have around here are bad enough, but I cannot imagine living in a country where the paternalistic state feels empowered to intrude into these sorts of decisions. Insane.

Yep, and the latest evidense indicates that future saws will have to take both that, and an even stricter EPA, into account............:censored: :taped:

Last edited:
My 7900 was waiting for me when I got home today. This one has no decomp, do some have one?

Better lock your left arm tight when pulling that puppy over..

Really shouldn't be a problem, if you "air start" the saw, with the chainbrake on, but a bit odd anyway.....:censored:

Btw, the weather has mostly been gray here today, but just now the midnight sun appeared.......

I used to start the saws with the brake off, but I have reconsidered.....

Last edited:
New saw and no hole in the cover for a decomp. I am a logger so I don't need one, I always started my 088 without using the decomp. Was just looking at the Dolmar literature and it shows one.

I really don't think it is much of an issue just an oddity. Don't tell anyone! Everyone else will want one too.

The funny thing is I push the decomp prior to starting and once it coughs, I take it off choke and usually forget to reset the decomp before I pull the cord again. Never had a problem starting 'em so far.

I have an old one and a new one and both have it. I suspect the ones shipped into the States all have them. It is you Canadians that have all the fun odd stuff.

Well, unless Ben Walker and his old oiler story count........
Its more than a story and I was one of a half dozen on this site and the other that had problems. The guy that cuts cookies in the back yard of his house in the city might never have problems, but mine being ran daily did.
Supposidly Dolmar band-aid fixed the problem by changing hose materials..I wouldnt know as I pedeled mine after dealing with the problem several times.
I hear their dealer network and parts distribution system still sucks and this is comming from a guy who sells them....
I would stick with a HUsky or Stihl given the parts support is light years better.

Last edited:
New saw and no hole in the cover for a decomp. I am a logger so I don't need one, I always started my 088 without using the decomp. Was just looking at the Dolmar literature and it shows one.

Is this a orange or black hood saw? All saws imported into North America should have the deco valve. They are available in europe w/o the deco.

Steve

My 7900's have decomp. buttons, be thankfull yours doesn't.
I carry my saw in my left hand, bar pointed behind me when walking to the next tree. Where the button is, my chaps will touch it and kill the saw, PITA.
Other than that, and the funny angle of the handle I love the saw.
I never use the decomp any way, except to kill the saw between trees. :laugh:

Andy

Is this a orange or black hood saw? All saws imported into North America should have the deco valve. They are available in europe w/o the deco.

Steve

Hi Steve, it is all orange. I will get a pic up later. I know it is a nice working saw. Reminds me of my old 064 but without the weight. One of my cutters just got a new 365 and he says the 7900 feels lighter and handles better. He wants a Dolmar now.

Back