Sachs Dolmar Chainsaws Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I picked up a 120SI project a few weeks ago. One of the items that that I have never experienced before was the top of the oil tank was melted through by the muffler. In the search for parts for that saw I have acquired another tank and a 120 super? project/frankensaw. I replaced the tank on the frankensaw with the good tank that I had acquired as it had a chain throw repair that was leaking on the gas tank section. I ran the 120 super with the SI tank over the weekend and noticed the tank is starting to blister under the muffler.

I do not want to run the saw anymore until I address this heat issue. Is this all the result of the bottom outlet muffler on these saws? I am also wondering if it has something to do with the bucking spike as there is almost no clearance when bucked up on a large log at the bottom of the cut. I have considered adding some sort of port onto the side of the muffler to reroute some of the exhaust gas. Has anyone done this and then restricted the bottom outlet of the original muffler?

I have seen this on a few 120si saws that had the bottom outlet mufflers. My saws have a right side top corner outlet on them, they were bought here in Canada, I have not seen a bottom outlet muffler come on a saw sold here but a few I brought in from the US did have them and the oil tanks were blackened and blistered from them. Either find another muffler or blank off the bottom outlet and install a top corner one to get around this blistering.

Here are the pictures. You can see the blistering. Do you guys have pics of a good location for an upper exhaust outlet?

Nice pix, Keith. Is it possible that exhaust is exiting behind the deflector?

Anyway, I did Google 'Dolmar 120si' and then clicked 'Images' .... There's plenty of shots of the exhaust on the upper-RH side.

Nice pix, Keith. Is it possible that exhaust is exiting behind the deflector?

Anyway, I did Google 'Dolmar 120si' and then clicked 'Images' .... There's plenty of shots of the exhaust on the upper-RH side.

I would guess anything is possible. The tank that came with the saw is fine though. Is there a length difference in a 120SI tank and 120 super tank? I know that the super tank had a weird vent in the gas tank so they are somewhat different. I might try to measure but they sure looked the same as far as the way that they mounted.

I would guess anything is possible. The tank that came with the saw is fine though. Is there a length difference in a 120SI tank and 120 super tank? I know that the super tank had a weird vent in the gas tank so they are somewhat different. I might try to measure but they sure looked the same as far as the way that they mounted.

Here is the IPL FOR THE 116-120SI, seems the mufflers were different for the US models.

http://s30387.gridserver.com/partsDiagrams/Dolmar%20116si%20and%20120si.pdf

Here are the pictures. You can see the blistering. Do you guys have pics of a good location for an upper exhaust outlet?

This is pic of a muffler mod I did on a 119 which is pretty close to being the same on a 120.
If your looking for ideas this is just one.

291165d1366334396-img_1552-jpg

View attachment 291165

This is pic of a muffler mod I did on a 119 which is pretty close to being the same on a 120.

View attachment 291165

That it certianly something. 20gauge winchester?? From the looks of the cover it already had the port there as your front is solid. I will pop the muffler off and see what will be required to block or restrict the front exit.

The IPL shows a plate between the cylinder and muffler. I do not appear to have it. Also they show the had guard screwed directly to the brake and with the spacer plate. Is this for clearance with gloves or something?

Thanks for the ideas so far.

Former HD saw?

Looks to be in nice shape! :msp_thumbsup:

It is in good shape now. Could be a former rental as it has a serial number engraved on the top and front. Someone had the carb off and did not have the metal ring seated in the intake. They busted up the throttle cable bracket and created a severe air leak at the carb interface. It runs as it should now. I traded a nice jred 670 in. I picked up the makita, a 365 project and a Jred 2055 project.

I have a couple 6401's going under the knife soon... I also had a buddy come in with a 7900 he picked up from me last year and ran it about 40 mins. He came back this year and we knew he was on the edge with 130/135psi so a re-ring was in order. I opened the saw and pulled the jug to find the FW side circlip MIA and the wrist pin slid out and scratched the cylinder (hone should fix that). As I started looking for the circlip I found the crank was cracked! WTH! I've never seen a cracked 7900 crank. Either way 3 Dolly's hitting the bench for rebuild soon.

1.) would you replace the 7900 bearings if they still felt tight and ran smooth?
2.) anyone know why people steal the oilers and clutchs off the 6401's?? (needing 1 clutch pad & complete oiler mech)
3.) anyone cut the grommet off their gas lines and used as a bushing for tygon fuel line replacement?

Also on a "COOL" Dolmar side note... I have a new friend that has a locked up 309 cutoff and he's planning on rebuilding it into a piped 122/133. I looked up the specs on the 309 and they matched the 122 and the stroke length from the 122 matched the 133... So I'm wondering if a 133 top end would bolt onto this 309/122???

Depending on the chain brake style you have it might be easier to move the exhaust port to the opposing flywheel side. There is plety of room for clearance and a nice big outlet if you choose. If you have the 120si descendant (6000i-6800i) it would be more beneficial to move the exhaust since the break handle changed and doesn't have a big loop-back like the 120si.

View attachment 291165

That is pretty common on that series of saws. The si versions had the top side exit and the tanks fared better.

I have used a couple layers of thick gauge aluminum tape with good results.

Lots of rubbing and plenty of heat from a good hot heat gun did the trick. Tried sanding it off, but the heat from the abrasives would just make it look worse.

Here's a really bad pic from the archives, 3/4" copper elbows 45 or 90 degree?

210478d1323360924-dsc02266-jpg

Latest posts

Back