Sachs Dolmar Chainsaws Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks Good.

attachment.php

That looks really good.

Lee are these the right replacement piston assy

Sachs Dolmar 166 Piston New Chainsaw | eBay

McBob

So the seller says. I asked the seller who made these pistons.
His reply. He didn't know. Must be a cheap china piece of crap
for 130.00 bucks.
I'll use my nice Wiseco pistons that i had made.
Cylinders are the hard part to find.

Lee

So the seller says. I asked the seller who made these pistons.
His reply. He didn't know. Must be a cheap china piece of crap
for 130.00 bucks.
I'll use my nice Wiseco pistons that i had made.
Cylinders are the hard part to find.

Lee

Well in that case i may buy a couple just in case i find a McCulloch Super Pro 118 after all they will never get used but will look the part sitting on my shed floor

Got the freshly hosed wrap on the old 152.

After looking at it, it has had very little use in it's life.

The clutch cover shows a thrown chain and the top cover has a bit missing, but other than that all the paint is pristine under the clutch cover.

It also leaks a bit at the gas tank seam as does the one acquired awhile back?

Must be a thing with them late 152s that used the later (153) tank?

attachment.php

attachment.php

I really like these old beasts, wonder why McBob has a problem with these old long strokers???????????????

Could it be he's had his arse handed to him in the past?

The clutch cover shows a thrown chain and the top cover has a bit missing, but other than that all the paint is pristine under the clutch cover.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I really like these old beasts, wonder why McBob has a problem with these old long strokers???????????????

Na not really i used to sell em brand new when Victa Australia was the importer for Dolmar got rid of a few and the CT's as well

we never had any of our loggers in my area that was hooked on Dolmar and the ones i sold were used as breaking down saws

Victa Australia was woeful with spares

McBob.

Near as I can tell, they never made a big bang here either. Pretty rare to see any, and I rekon they were not cheap when new.

I honestly never heard of them until joining AS. I have talked to some old dealers and they all said the same thing.

"Sachs Dolmar hung them out to dry" sad warranty backing, bad parts support, they all said there was bad mojo coming from SD.

That is all in the past for me, I like having stuff others don't, seems the old SDs were well engineered, if not over engineered. Very easy to work on,

Never had problems with bearings, seals, recoils, manifolds, you name it they seem rock solid.

Like said, glad they never got that cult following, makes them easier to pick up cheap.

attachment.php

attachment.php

That is a fine example of the type.

Don't listen to old mcbob, those dolmars were working here in OZ, they just were not as popular as the 084 and 3120, the 166 dolmars and then the mac bumble bees did have their place in our part of the world.
They were cheaper than the main brands, not sure about replacement parts but.

Last edited:
Guess they never had a great marketing team. Probably just a bunch of engineers eh?

One thing about them, they are right up there with Stihl in the chainsaw biz (for longevity), and are actually claimed to be the first gasoline powered chainsaw.

They still be making a quality saw which you can't say about many of the former great saw makers.

Many makers have fell by the wayside, or just offer little plastic fantastic junk. Pity some of the finest names in the history of chainsaws are just their name on crapola.

I kind of feel sorry for the McCulloch, Homelite, Poulan fans, But hey at least my brand still makes a real saw!

That is a fine example of the type.

Don't listen to old mcbob, those dolmars were working here in OZ, they just were not as popular as the 084 and 3120, the 166 dolmars and then the mac bumble bees did have their place in our part of the world.
They were cheaper than the main brands, not sure about replacement parts but.

Maybe so young grasshopper but weren't that many around a good saw but lousey lousey backup from Victa Australia, Victa was only meant to cut grass

Anyway i'm back for the depths of despair and frustration having been in the sin bin for few hours i wasa very naugthy boy and lovin' it.

McBob

Latest posts

Back