Sachs Dolmar Chainsaws Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd help you out if i could mo.
But with my increasing Sachs Dolmar heard,
I'm runnin short on nice bars as well.
If i see any i will let you know.

Uncle Lee

Thanks Lee,

seems Baileys supply had dried up.

Still kick myself for not jumping on a couple of those 33"/36" Carltons they had a few years back.

I need to stop all this chainsaw stuff and concentrate the efforts and funds on me old Dodge.

It's going to be real nice out in the shed in a few weeks.

A newbie question here.
What unleaded fuel rating should I use for the mix in my 112, in Australia we have 91ron, 95ron & 98ron which is preferable?

My opinion, for what it is worth, use the highest octane you can afford. Less chance of pre-ignition (knocking). If they have non-ethanol...use it. Don't forget to buy beer for when you're done cuttin'!:givebeer:

A newbie question here.
What unleaded fuel rating should I use for the mix in my 112, in Australia we have 91ron, 95ron & 98ron which is preferable?

My opinion, for what it is worth, use the highest octane you can afford. Less chance of pre-ignition (knocking). If they have non-ethanol...use it. Don't forget to buy beer for when you're done cuttin'!:givebeer:

The compression a saw runs is pretty low, detonation shouldn't ever be an issue, even with Oz spec 91, but most of it, at least on the east coast, is ethanol laced these days, so...

Most of us run 95 or 98, but again double check it's non ethanol, some of the off brand stuff uses ethanol to get the higher octane rating.
I just standardise on BP Ultimate or Shell V-Power for saw use and store in a steel jerry can so it doesn't go off.
HDPE fuel jerries do let the aromatic portions of the fuel pass through slowly, within a few months your fuel isn't what it was at the pump.

It was rainy/snowy/cold and damp here yesterday, so I took time to work on some saws. I had done a top end job some time ago on a DCS401 purchased scored, but never got it to start. My suspicion was that it wasn't getting fuel, but it had a new tygon line, the filter and tank were clean. I verified that I had spark, added some fuel to the tank, and then some directly into the carb throat. Full choke, and several pulls later it fired, but I couldn't get it tuned. I decided that it was an air leak, so sprayed a little carb cleaner around the seals and cylinder while it was running, and it would stop immediately. Back onto the bench, disassembled and suspected the impulse line to the lower right side of the cylinder had been pinched and might have a hole. I replaced it with tygon, and then noticed the carb to intake gasket had an odd impression on it.:msp_confused: It had slipped off one of the carb bolts when previously installed.:msp_mad: I reassembled the saw, took it outside and fired it up. It took a little fiddling, but the carb adjustments reacted as I thought they should, and its now ready to work!:msp_smile:

The little Dolmar 100 was sitting close by, and it had been purchased used/scored. It seemed to have compression, I verified spark and looked into the cylinder through the sparkplug hole. It looked OK. I took it outside, put fuel in the tank, and dumped some into the carb throat, and within several pulls it fired.:msp_thumbup: I did some adjusting and it wasn't long before it settled into a decent idle. I do want to pull the muffler for a better inspection and test the compression before I pull the cylinder.

The 100 and 401 look almost identical when side by side. The 401 is about 1/2# heavier and has an impulse line to the cylinder as well as an imuplse hole through the intake.:msp_confused: The 100 lacks the outboard line.

I have looked and looked and looked for a cylinder gasket for my 166 and unless someone knows where one is, I guess I am going gasket less. I don't know for sure what the squish is because the solder I have is .032 and it never does "squish", so I know it's more than .032. Would it be safe to run it gasket less with a guaranteed squish of more than .032 or is this too close for big cc's? TIA!

I have looked and looked and looked for a cylinder gasket for my 166 and unless someone knows where one is, I guess I am going gasket less. I don't know for sure what the squish is because the solder I have is .032 and it never does "squish", so I know it's more than .032. Would it be safe to run it gasket less with a guaranteed squish of more than .032 or is this too close for big cc's? TIA!

I set my 660 to .025" and figured I was erring on the safe side. I know some of the guys were down to .020", or a tad less, but was tighter than I wanted for my working saw.

You should be fine at .032" on that saw. I like around .025" for anything over 70cc.

I will get some bigger solder and see what it actually is, but it's going back together for the time being. Thanks guys!

I will get some bigger solder and see what it actually is, but it's going back together for the time being. Thanks guys!

Your fine at over .032 cowroy. I've put together
several 166's without a base gasket. If you don't
feel safe you can make a gasket.The original gasket
is around .018 thou thick. so don't make one to
thick. I'm assembling one as we speak and will go
gasket less on this one.

Lee

Thanks Lee, I thought it would be safe, but just wanted to check with the masses first. If anyone recalls, the braze on my 166 muffler had come apart almost all the way around. I had a friend of mine braze it back together after I modified it a little. I just couldn't hack up a good 166 muffler, so I pried the inner baffle plate completely out of it, so it will be completely stock appearing, but opened up inside and even still has the screen. I will show some pics when I get it all together. I am also gonna do a thread on the saw also. I have everything I need to put it back together now. :)

I am in need of several large mount Stihl/Sachs Dolmar bars for the ever increasing herd.

24"-36" will be fine, but smaller/larger would be considered.

Anyone with a good stash?

Thanks,

mo

Ordered two of the 33" Carlton bars off Amazon yesterday. They've already been shipped. Don't understand why they're listed OOS on Bailey's. That's where they're coming from.

Amazon.com: 33" Carlton Premium Sprocket Tip Unbranded Chainsaw Bar (33-55-B3100-Psunb): Sports & Outdoors

Back