Sachs Dolmar Chainsaws Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
120, 120 super, 120si extra

I understand that the 116 & 120 were the same w/exception of the larger jug.

What's the difference in these various 120 models?

I'm bidding on one to have around when a larger tree is felled by storm or struck by lightning.

I see that it maxes out on a 2' bar and that would be about as much as I'd need.

I can't afford or justify a new saw that would only see limited service/use once in a blue moon.

Thanks S-D fellas...

Thank's for the info Jerry
That's helped loads, was wondering if rim would be a good way to go and now you convinced me it is. not only the quick change thing, but the price is about a sixth of the cost.

Russ

sorry about butting into your thread guys but it did say all things Sachs Dolmar

You are not butting in Russ, this thread was set up to discuss all things related to SD saws, the thread was not getting much attention so I thought I would share a new to me acquisition of a 133 just to get some action going on here. Your questions are much welcome and I hope you have good service from your saw, the ring drive is the better way to go on all saws due to its versatility.
Pioneerguy600

I understand that the 116 & 120 were the same w/exception of the larger jug.

What's the difference in these various 120 models?

I'm bidding on one to have around when a larger tree is felled by storm or struck by lightning.

I see that it maxes out on a 2' bar and that would be about as much as I'd need.

I can't afford or justify a new saw that would only see limited service/use once in a blue moon.

Thanks S-D fellas...

The 120 series saw would be a good choice for your needs and usually can be had for a lower price than the other top brands of saws in the same class. The one difference that I know between the 120 and 120Si is in the carbs, the 120 uses a choke plate type carb setup and the Si uses a injector type carb setup where the lever on the carb is just rotated or flipped as some say it. The 120 super and the Si are both 68 cc engines and the older 120 was a 61 cc saw. The 120 super also has a fuel primer bulb on the left rear of the saw . There are most likely many other small details in differences between them and others may be able to fill in with some more info.
Pioneerguy600

Thanks for the info. I figured there would be small model changes over the years.

I want the 68cc si/super to push a 2' bar. I like the primer bulb, that you mentioned came on the super, yet I can live w/o that option.

In pokin' 'round I noticed that the 123 is a 70cc, yet listed 3.5KW, where the 120si/super was listed @ 3.6.

Any bolt on carbs/BB cylinder kits available for these old warhorses?

When I get a 120si/super I'd like to tweak it for closer to 6hp if feasible.

Also, I noticed these came .058/.335 B/C. Any problem running .050 3/8?

I am a little late to this party and have not read through the whole thing, but thought I should add a couple I have.

The first is 133 sold as a McCulloch SP85 in Australia. This was a gift from Graeme (Gumnuts) just for coming over to his side of the pond. I got a new 28" bar in for it this week and now need to find an excuse to go cut some wood.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

The second is a 166 sold as a McCulloch SP118 in Australia...it was a pretty good trip to Australia and we have even booked a couple of orders as a result of our visits. This saw was in a shed next door to my friend/company agent; Andrew knew I was interested in saws, McCulloch saws in particular, and thought his neighbor might be willing to part with it. After I returned home Andrew was able to get it, the company guys got both saws packed and shipped to LAX, our traffic department took over and got the box delivered to our location, and I now have two "new" saws. I have located a new muffler and air filter, but will need to find a new clutch (the spider at least) before I can take this one to the woods.

attachment.php

attachment.php

The SP118/166 came with a 32" bar and chisel/skip chain so I should be good to go there.

If anyone out there has a clutch/spider they would be willing to part with please let me know.

Mark

I am a little late to this party and have not read through the whole thing, but thought I should add a couple I have.

The first is 133 sold as a McCulloch SP85 in Australia. This was a gift from Graeme (Gumnuts) just for coming over to his side of the pond. I got a new 28" bar in for it this week and now need to find an excuse to go cut some wood.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

The second is a 166 sold as a McCulloch SP118 in Australia...it was a pretty good trip to Australia and we have even booked a couple of orders as a result of our visits. This saw was in a shed next door to my friend/company agent; Andrew knew I was interested in saws, McCulloch saws in particular, and thought his neighbor might be willing to part with it. After I returned home Andrew was able to get it, the company guys got both saws packed and shipped to LAX, our traffic department took over and got the box delivered to our location, and I now have two "new" saws. I have located a new muffler and air filter, but will need to find a new clutch (the spider at least) before I can take this one to the woods.

The SP118/166 came with a 32" bar and chisel/skip chain so I should be good to go there.

If anyone out there has a clutch/spider they would be willing to part with please let me know.

Thanks for posting the picts Mark, good to have your saws added to the SD thread. I enjoyed reading your posts about your trip to Aus and finding the saws over there. Hope you can find a spider for the 166/SP118.
Pioneerguy600

Last edited:
Here's a couple pics of parts you may or may not be able to use Jerry. These came from a Wacker, and a Dolmar cut-off saw. Both these saws died of low compression and had good ignition parts. I have both complete units if there is anything anyone can use send me a PM.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Thanks for the info. I figured there would be small model changes over the years.

I want the 68cc si/super to push a 2' bar. I like the primer bulb, that you mentioned came on the super, yet I can live w/o that option.

In pokin' 'round I noticed that the 123 is a 70cc, yet listed 3.5KW, where the 120si/super was listed @ 3.6.

Any bolt on carbs/BB cylinder kits available for these old warhorses?

When I get a 120si/super I'd like to tweak it for closer to 6hp if feasible.

Also, I noticed these came .058/.335 B/C. Any problem running .050 3/8?

You really can`t believe the HP ratings posted for Sachs Dolmar saws, they were European ratings and not what we are used to here in N.A. but I think that you got that figured out.
.Have not seen BB kits for them but you never know.
You can run any type of bar chain combo you like on the SD saws, my 120 super and Si both run 058 ga 3/8" Stihl RSC on them.
Pioneerguy600

heres a photo for you of my 143 if you can find one of the high flow intakes get it they make a difference and excuse the clutch cover its all I had and its cracked anyway
017-3.jpg

heres a photo for you of my 143 if you can find one of the high flow intakes get it they make a difference and excuse the clutch cover its all I had and its cracked anyway
017-3.jpg

Thanks for posting the pict Big J, that is a nice 143 and that hi flow looks like the answer for getting more air into the cylinder. Is it a K&N setup?
Pioneerguy600

The big mount stihl bars will fit the big Sachs Dolmars with a mod to the oiler holes. Is there other options for bars that would work? I know you would need to mill the slot to 14mm and modify the oiler/adjuster holes, there are not many big mount bars around in the 20" to 24" size.

its a k&n filter but the intake mani came on one of my 143 part saws
heres some more dolmar love for ya guys my kms isnt on the shelves though its in a safe place
aab9d17a.jpg

is there anyone out the that has a 24" or larger bar to fit a older dolmar large mount I think its 033 have trade fodder or green stuff

Check feebay, there were some nice Sachs Dolmar 28" bars there last time I looked. I think you may be able to use a stihl 440-660 type mount with some mods, but am not sure. Hopefully someone has done it before and will chime in. I am looking for smaller bars (>24") and they are near non existant in the large mount.

been watching ebay quite a bit but havent seen one I like yet they are usually hard tip or require modification the only large mount I have that fits properly is a 20" on my 133 the 143 oil hole doesnt match up right do I had to modify it a little but it still doesnt oil right

123 starts the large (bar) mount. never ran one, but guessing they are (heavy) pigs at only 70cc.

I've never ran a 123 either but the 133 and 143 are heavy enough and the 123 is on the same chassis but they have butt loads of torque and that makes it worth it in my opinion plus im a pretty big guy

They sold a bunch of them with the 309 moniker, these were concrete/cutoff saws. There are still many out there running, those dudes didn't live a very good life!

"...if you can find one of the high flow intakes..."

Is that tunnel ram by cal custom?

I always wanted the chromed foot gas pedal on a woody, but alas neither materialized.

Latest posts

Back