Sachs/Dolmar owners.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JaysSD114

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have an old SD114, about a 1982 model. The air cleaners on these saws is terrible in my opinion. After replacing the filter and running the saw 4-5hrs its amazing how much debris is in the mouth of the carb. I inherited this saw from my dad and it has been this way since the day he bought it.

We had a storm Friday and I had a bunch of downed trees to cut up. Temps were in the upper 90's and after about 40min it starts too act like it's out of gas and dies. I refuel and have a rough time getting it started without pulling the choke in and out but finally get it going. It runs about 2min and dies and cannot get it started again. I set the saw down and you can hear it just gurgling/bubbling. I'm thinking it's boiling the gas. We finished with a friends stihl and head home. Later that eve I try to start the saw and it won't pull. Feels locked up. So i tip the saw nose down and fuel pours out the muffler. So I pull the plug and it's soaked. Decided to pull muffler and let the fuel evaporate and check piston. It looks fine. After everything was dried out I put the plug and muffler back in and start the saw. Runs fine now but I'm wondering what could of caused this? Did the saw get too hot? If so, why? It is a 40:1 saw and I run 50:1 stihl oil so could this have caused it or could a dirty air filter have caused it . The air filter like I said gets dirty quick but it doesn't look bad. What at your guys thoughts

In very hot conditions the temperature of the fuel in the tank can rise to a point where the resulting pressure increase overcomes the force of the return spring of the metering lever in the carburetor, flooding the engine...
Could also just be a weak spring or leaky inlet needle.

Do you think the gas tank vent could be plugged? Causing the tank to pressurize and overpower the needle and seat and filling the cylinder?

Tank vents on modern saws are supposed to act 1 way letting air in but nothing out, allowing pressure to build up in the tank. Therefore, if the needle valve leaks or the spring in the carb is weak or of the wrong length/type, pressure building in the tank can cause leaking of fuel through the carb.
Repeated temp changes will make the tank act like a pump filling the crank case...

Back