Sad day for my 031av

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like a 290 could be in your future. I cut with one for years, and with a muffler mod and retune that saw will easily pull a 20-inch chain. There is a thread stickied to the top of the board about that, and WAY more threads to be found with the search feature. :)

I did it. :):) I bought my first NEW saw. I had to take a picture of it next to the old 031AV. It's awesome!!!!:greenchainsaw:

Cool on the new saw. Now you have to work on the old one. Electronic isnt bad. It just helps to know which system you have. Id say the module is bad. Do a search for 031 spark or ignition or module. There are a couple of good threads that members have put up that will help. Basically you need to get rid of old module from the system and install a new,different,one on the saw. :)

031AV or O31AVE

It's electronic. Is this good or bad?

I didn't know know your saw is an 031AVE, and not a breaker-point 031AV.
Or is it an AV that was convertered?

Every 031AVE I ever had to fix with a failed electronic ignition was caused by a failed trigger, not the coil. No OEM parts available. Even when they were almost new, Stihl go so that we had to buy an entire new ignition to fix, and not just the trigger. Two ways to go to fix. By a $13 aftermarket generic module, like an old-stock Atom or a new Nova II. Another option is to buy an older scrapped 031AV and use the breaker-point magneto to fix you saw. Years back, when Stihl stopped selling replacement ignitions for the bigger 045s and 056s, we convertered many to breaker-point. That because it was a cheap fix. Requires a different flywheel, armature plate, and coil.

Or is it an AV that was convertered?QUOTE]

It says 031AV on the nameplate on top of the saw. However, I'm pretty sure it doesn't have points or a condenser. At least not that I had seen. I had the whole thing apart last year to replace the oil pump gear, disassemble, clean, reassemble the carb, replaced the bar/chain and a couple of other misc things. I work on piston driven airplanes for a living and know my way around a magneto quite well. Points, condensers and coils are nothing new to me. I just haven't dealt with them on a chainsaw. Anyhow, there looks to be a little rectangular module looking thing with two wires screwed to the top of the case near the gas tank. The only other components that I remember are the coil, switch, and the rotating part of the magneto. What do you think?:cheers:

It says 031AV on the nameplate on top of the saw. However, I'm pretty sure it doesn't have points or a condenser.

Anyhow, there looks to be a little rectangular module looking thing with two wires screwed to the top of the case near the gas tank.

We sold very few Stihl 031AV saws with electronic ignition. I don't think there were many made, so my memory may be a bit foggy. With electronic ignition, Stihl called it modle "031AVE." I can't say for sure if all of had a nameplate saying so.

Stihl did NOT use any sort of external module as you describe in the early ones. Later maybe?First Stihl 031AVE used a trigger-plate under the flywheel. Pretty close to the same as Stihl used in the few 015s they sold with electronic ignition - i.e. "015L Electronic."
If you was came with OEM Stihl electronic ignitoin, it had a coil mounted outside the flywheel and a an electronic trigger plate under the flywheel. We replaced many with 015 plates, part # 1114 400 1000 as I recall.

I've seen parts breakdowns that came out later showing some sort of external module for repair.

Keep in mind I haven't worked as a Sthil dealer mechanic since 1991. So, I haven't exactly kept track since then, with what goes on with Stihl parts. That is, except what they DON'T have to fix my own saws.

I do know of several work-arounds that were used over time. A Stihl external module 1118 400 1001 was used on some 031s although it was made for a totally different engine at first. Required the 1113 405 1901 adapter-bracket.

Also a company called VEC made, or maybe still makes a replacement module.
UV-1 said to safely replace Stihl 1118 400 1001 and to fit Stihl 028, 038, 048, 051, 076, and 084 saws.

We sold very few Stihl 031AV saws with electronic ignition. I don't think there were many made, so my memory may be a bit foggy. With electronic ignition, Stihl called it modle "031AVE." I can't say for sure if all of had a nameplate saying so.

Stihl did NOT use any sort of external module as you describe in the early ones. Later maybe?First Stihl 031AVE used a trigger-plate under the flywheel. Pretty close to the same as Stihl used in the few 015s they sold with electronic ignition - i.e. "015L Electronic."
If you was came with OEM Stihl electronic ignitoin, it had a coil mounted outside the flywheel and a an electronic trigger plate under the flywheel. We replaced many with 015 plates, part # 1114 400 1000 as I recall.

I've seen parts breakdowns that came out later showing some sort of external module for repair.

Keep in mind I haven't worked as a Sthil dealer mechanic since 1991. So, I haven't exactly kept track since then, with what goes on with Stihl parts. That is, except what they DON'T have to fix my own saws.

I do know of several work-arounds that were used over time. A Stihl external module 1118 400 1001 was used on some 031s although it was made for a totally different engine at first. Required the 1113 405 1901 adapter-bracket.

UV-1 said to safely replace Stihl 1118 400 1001 and to fit Stihl 028, 038, 048, 051, 076, and 084 saws.

Thanks for your input. it's very usefull information right from the hand of someone who has hands on experience....

one question for a project of mine : I have spare flywheels for electronic ignition and coils (and points) for points ignition. I will have to look for either an electronic stator plate or a points flywheel. What do you suggest to be the easiest way...?
thanks

Or is it an AV that was convertered?QUOTE]

Anyhow, there looks to be a little rectangular module looking thing with two wires screwed to the top of the case near the gas tank. The only other components that I remember are the coil, switch, and the rotating part of the magneto. What do you think?:cheers:

I think your saw has an original points ignition but was converted to electronic by adding a trigger module (rectangular thing with 2 wires you mention), and the points were removed.

I have the same outfit on one of my project saws. Maybe you could try to switch the module and give it a try. It'll probably solve your problem

Last edited:

Until I rip it apart again, I guess I'm unsure. See the picture attached. What is the little module in between the recoil and gas cap? :dizzy:

Like I guessed, a nova or atom module. Your points have been "chipped"..:)
I'd change it for a new one and give it a try.

:agree2:
Also I would doublecheck the entire ignition system. Make sure nothing is shorting out. Is the kill switch working OK,maybe its shorted out. I know you said youve checked but if it were me Id go over everything again.

Last edited:
Like I guessed, a nova or atom module. Your points have been "chipped"..:)
I'd change it for a new one and give it a try.

:agree2:
Also I would doublecheck the entire ignition system. Make sure nothing is shorting out. Is the kill switch working OK,maybe its shorted out. I know you said youve checked but if it were me Id go over everything again.

Thanks a ton guys! :cheers:
I'm going to try and take it apart this upcoming weekend. Maybe I can even find a new module locally.
I'll post my results next week.
Do either of you have an opinion on the 290 muffler mod? Good or bad?
:monkey:

I'm going to try and take it apart this upcoming weekend. Maybe I can even find a new module locally.

You could probably even stick points and condensor back in. In fact they may still be in there but just got unhooked. There is no difference in performance either way. But, having a breakerless module means there are no points to check and reset every few years.

Hi there, RE: MS 290 Muff mod. DO IT! I got a nice 290 used, but was gonna sell the thing cause it just didn't make enough power. The guys here recommended the muff mod. Easy to do & retuned, runs like a whole different saw. A C

The 290 muffler mod is crazy!! It makes a huge difference in power. PM me if you want more details.

Back