Sad day for my 031av

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldstihl

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
:cry: My Stihl 031AV finally kicked the bucket today. This one was my favorite. After about 2 hours of use, it quit running. Further investigation revealed no spark. I had just gone through the whole saw last year and I know everything was in pretty good shape, so I'm kind of leaning toward the coil. I've heard of them failing over time and especially when they get real hot. The real bugger is that I can't seem to find a new coil anywhere. So, here I am looking at buying a new saw to replace the old one. :) I'm wondering what’s the biggest bang for the buck around the $300 range?? Any opinions on a Stihl MS290 vs. Husq 450 vs. Jons 2255 vs. (other) ????? I've never owned a new saw and am unsure of what I'm getting into. Any help is much appreciated.

Checked both local dealers and came up empty handed. Turns out they don't make them (031 coils) any more. Didn't see anything on ebay either, and yes I'm ready for something newer and lighter. I still love the old ones though.:)

Checked both local dealers and came up empty handed. Turns out they don't make them (031 coils) any more. Didn't see anything on ebay either, and yes I'm ready for something newer and lighter. I still love the old ones though.:)

Keep the 031 and keep looking for a coil. One will eventually come up on ebay, or you can ask your ask in the Swap Meet thread on this forum. Also, look up at the top of the page at the flashing forum sponsor links. There are some used parts outlets there worth checking. Meanwhile, buy a new saw too. If you can't find a coil for the 031, sell it to me. I'm just up the road from you. :) :)

And welcome to AS! A great place for free advice. ;) :cheers:

Last edited:
Welcome aboard. Sorry about your saw. There are two used coils and a couple of running (they say) 031 av saws on ebay at the moment. One is a powerhead only that you may be able to pick up for less than the price of a used coil.

Thanks for the heads-up. Just found it on ebay, expensive little part.:jawdrop: There's no doubt I want to keep the old saw running, and I will eventually. This is just my excuse to buy something new.:) Any ideas for something around $300?

The condensers seem to be a problem electrical component too - it was on my old 031 anyway. I got a new (used) one from my dealers misc. parts bin and it took care of my no spark problem. Cheaper than the coil if that is the problem... I do see lots of used coils and 031 parts on the bay all the time - It may take a bit of time to find the parts you need for the price you want to pay, but IMO it would be worth it to get your ol 031 running again, if not for just a back up if you get a new saw.

I'm looking for something that will get used maybe two to three times a month, year round. Something with a good 16" bar that will start all the time and require a minimum amount of maintenance every year. I don't often cut hard woods but like to have the power when needed. I end up a couple times a year harvesting some old pine that is two feet in diameter. I have an old 041AV with a 18" that I have used in the past for this type of work, but it's getting pretty beat up. I'm not a pro nor do I need a pro model (not that I wouldn't mind one, just can't afford one yet). Most of what I cut is poplar, pine, spruce and alder. I guess what I'm really looking for is a good general use saw that can replace my 031 and 041, be reliable, fairly light and run around $300 to $350. I've used my friend's MS290 and I loved it. Just wondering if there is something else I should be looking at?:chainsaw::cheers:

If you really like your "old" 031 see if you can find an "old" Stihl dealer/shop. Sometimes the shops that have been around a while tend to have a used parts supply or at least access. The newer shops tend to sell more new stuff. Bob

Welcome aboard, oldstihl! I see you are from Duluth, Mn, I moved up here to Alaska from Duluth 2 summers ago. Keep your old saw, parts will show up. As for the new saws you mentioned, I have owned both the ms290 and the Husky 450. These both are great saws. The 450 is noticeably lighter weight than the 290. The nice thing about the 290 was when you modify the muffler, you can get another 20-30% more power and same as stock reliability. Both saws were 100% reliable for me, never a problem. Duluth lawn and sport is the Stihl dealer, who does Husky? Anyway, rep sent for a new guy from my home town, and have a beer at Fitger's for me!

I'm looking for something that will get used maybe two to three times a month, year round. Something with a good 16" bar that will start all the time and require a minimum amount of maintenance every year. I don't often cut hard woods but like to have the power when needed. I end up a couple times a year harvesting some old pine that is two feet in diameter. I have an old 041AV with a 18" that I have used in the past for this type of work, but it's getting pretty beat up. I'm not a pro nor do I need a pro model (not that I wouldn't mind one, just can't afford one yet). Most of what I cut is poplar, pine, spruce and alder. I guess what I'm really looking for is a good general use saw that can replace my 031 and 041, be reliable, fairly light and run around $300 to $350. I've used my friend's MS290 and I loved it. Just wondering if there is something else I should be looking at?:chainsaw::cheers:

Sounds like a 290 could be in your future. I cut with one for years, and with a muffler mod and retune that saw will easily pull a 20-inch chain. There is a thread stickied to the top of the board about that, and WAY more threads to be found with the search feature. :)

I doubt its the coil. If the saws points ignition its probably the condenser. If the saws Electronic then its the ignition module. Im sure with some time and patients you could fix the saw. :cheers:
Try searching for other threads on the 031. Here is one of my favorite.http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=107114

Last edited:
Pretty sure I have a complete ignition out of a 031 with points. You can have it if it'll get you going.
Send me a pm:cheers:

Trigger module

Look for an Atom mini-tron brown (AM-209) if it's got points. Or if it's electronic, look for either an Atom mini-tron yellow (AM-214) or Nova II module.

:cry: My Stihl 031AV finally kicked the bucket today.
so I'm kind of leaning toward the coil. I've heard of them failing over time and especially when they get real hot. The real bugger is that I can't seem to find a new coil anywhere. So, here I am looking at buying a new saw to replace the old one.

Coil failure certainly isn't common in 030s and 031s. Not with breaker-point ignition. Condensor failures, yes. Electronic module failures, yes. We had many failures with the 031AVE saws. Also lousy parts support. Did you make sure your shut-off wire didn't get the insulation worn off and is grounding against the cylinder?

As I recall, the 030 and 031 series were the first light-weight saws Stihl ever made with vertical cylinders. Ran faster then the horizontal saws like the 020s and 041s. I know that my 031 with a sharp chain will out-cut my 041 Super - that is with a 16" bar. But, my 041 Super has much more lugging power.

There are used coils for sale all over the place, and probably new ones on the German Ebay. I've had to search for electronic parts for many of my older Stihl saws since Stihl-USA was useless. I found many new parts available from West Germany, via the German Ebay. Just got a brand-new ignition module for my 045 Super. Made by Ducati, made in Italy, but with Bosch part #s on the module.

I doubt its the coil. If the saws points ignition its probably the condenser. If the saws Electronic then its the ignition module.

Coil failure certainly isn't common in 030s and 031s. Not with breaker-point ignition. Condensor failures, yes. Electronic module failures, yes. We had many failures with the 031AVE saws. Also lousy parts support. Did you make sure your shut-off wire didn't get the insulation worn off and is grounding against the cylinder?

Is there an easy way to test the coil and ignition module? The switch and wires are fine.

Is there an easy way to test the coil and ignition module? The switch and wires are fine.

You can do a simple test with an ohm-meter that will detect problems most of the time , but not 100%. Sometimes coils breakdown under load while making 20,000 and higher volts.

So, an ohm-meter will detect a dead coil, but won't always detect intermitten problems.

Check between coil-ground and primary wire - should be .8 to 1.1 ohms.
Make sure that primary is unhooked from points and condensor when you check.

Check between primary wire and spark-plug lead and should be 6,500 to 8000 ohms. Note, if this test has a bad open reading, make sure the plug wire hasn't gotten "unhooked" from either the coil end, or the wire plug terminal hook.

Make sure you check the capacitor for a dead short. They were prone to get shorted rather than just lose capacitance.

Back