Safest Splitter Out There!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At least we have a pretty good idea where/how the guy in blue may have lost his right arm. Wow.

They both looked like poster children for unsafe work practices.

*shivers*

Watch the beginning. Right are waves at you.

SHOOT!! He tricked me!!! *Note to self: Don't watch youtube videos too early in the morning...*

WHY would you have one arm not in it's sleeve, especially knowing that the loose sleeve could get caught in the rotating splitter "unicorn" (I know, "Stickler") and get you killed instantly?

He dosent have a choice, his right arm had to be reattached after his first accident with that death machine, and his doctor had a twisted sence of humor!

Why anyone would use this, I have no idea.
Those screw splitters have been around for years.They are what they are.They do work but you of course have to be carefull with them.

I have one my dad put together in the early 80's using a screw connected to a Jeep differential and tranny that he used an Allis Chalmers B for power.Never had a problem with it at all.

On that note ,they could cause some serious injury.I haven't used that contraption for most likely twenty years but in the day I would split between 50 and 75 cords per season when I sold firewood.A hydraulic splitter is much safer.

Those screw splitters have been around for years.They are what they are.They do work but you of course have to be carefull with them.

I have one my dad put together in the early 80's using a screw connected to a Jeep differential and tranny that he used an Allis Chalmers B for power.Never had a problem with it at all.

On that note ,they could cause some serious injury.I haven't used that contraption for most likely twenty years but in the day I would split between 50 and 75 cords per season when I sold firewood.A hydraulic splitter is much safer.

Over here alot of ppl lost their hands with those screws but luckily those screws are nowadays never used...

I wasn't impressed.

Working alone, with my "slow" hydraulic splitter I could double that production in the same time frame. With a buddy, 1/2 again! :monkey:

That has to be the dullest screw ever used. Pathetic.

How dangerous? I don't know.... the steady looked sturdy enough, the wood was splitting, they were not trying to make a speed record....
The guy with the gimpy arm should not have been working it.

-Pat

splitter

when I was a young boy my dad had one of those mounted to the axlel of his stake body 1968 chevy . used it for many years till one day a big log ripped the bed off the truck from then on it has never been used . I think it is still in the basment .

I know a guy who has one he used to put on the rear wheel of his ford pickup. I've run it, and it's not that bad (if you keep your head out of your azz). What I didn't like about his set up was the fact that the wheel was off the truck while in use. Not a good scenario if something did go wrong.

Andy

I know it seems like a death machine, and yes that thing is really dull, but, I have to admit, I like the way that thing is set up.

It looks like it was hooked up to an electric motor using a piece of axle shaft, some pillow blocks, and a piece of I-beam for the rest. I thought I saw an electric motor in the vid, but it sounds like I hear an engine running in the background. If it was electric, I tink it would have to be a pretty good size motor.

I think both of those guys are just a little to casual with what they are doing, and I agree, the guy with the bum wing should not even be there. It looks like with care, it could be run fairly safely. Does not seem much worse than running a chainsaw. I guess with caution and common sense, it would be safe.

Heck I wouldn't mind picking up one of them screws and building a setup like that. Seems like one could be made fairly cheaply, small size, and electric. KD

EDIT: OK had a better look at the vid. It seems that it is electric, and is gear driven, direct to the electric motor using a large gear on the axle shaft and I assume a small gear on the electric motor.

Last edited:
they need to sharpen the point. when they are right, they self start.

note how the rest is parallel to the taper of the screw. if you don't do this, the log will jam.

get a sharp screw set up right, and you can split a bunhc of wood in a big hurry.

No, I did not catch that in the video (about the rest), thanks for pointing it out. Now to find one. A halfway descent used one would be nice, but new ones are not outrageous in price. KD

screw type splitter

I think I have one of the screws sitting in my dad's basement haven't seen it in 20 years . one of you guys said then would like to find one . I probally could persuade dad to sell it it it is still there. let me know what you would like to pay for it .

Latest posts

Back