Safety parameters for descent hitches

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bradley Ford

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
What safety parameters must be met by a hitch used for descent?

Some questions to consider:
  • What is the maximum weight that the hitch must be able to "control"?

How is "control" defined?

What is the maximum force required to release the hitch while holding the maximum controlled weight?

Last edited:
My cousin in Wales, Paolo Baveresco has done some research on climbing hitches. When he has the data available, I'll post it.

There was some research done in Auestralia a while ago. I have the file somewhere in my computer. If I can root it out, I'll post.

Canadian OSHA [?] has done some drop tests too but I only have those in paper form.

Tom

Do you hold your descent hitch (or device) to the same 10:1 safety factor as the other components of your climbing system? If your climbing weight is 200 lbs., do you require your descent hitch to be able to control 2000 lbs.? (For comparison, Petzl reports the normal working load for its I'D descender as 30-150 kg, or 66-331 lbs; 250 kg, or 551 lbs., in exceptional cases.) How much weight must your descent hitch control in order to be "safe"?

do'nt forget if you are using a doubled rope system, your hitch only holds half your wieght.

The research that I have read shows that a closed ended hitch will slip before it breaks. I have used a distal as an in line anchor on a five to one rig while doing some felling, we had 3 men on the rope and eventually the distal would slide on the host rope.

The simple answer is....

It must never break or become untied in use.
It must stop you when you want to be stopped.
It must let you down when you want to go down.
It must hold you if you take a very hard fall on it.

I, like Rocky, like using the 2500lb mark as a guideline, and it's usually very, very easy to obtain. With the great lines that many manufacturers are making, a person could concievably use a line around 3/16ths in diameter and still be beyond the 2500 mark.

This is a good question. One that could use a lot of developing.

I am assuming that we consider the 2500lb mark acceptable for closed-hitch systems, like if you're using a Distel or VT.

Should open hitches (Tautline, blakes) be held to 5,000lbs? I think so.

love
nick

Well said Nick. When I was competing in Montreal I saw some shady things that I think should be point deductions or even DQs. While waiting in the top of the work climb I watched 2 top Euros make thier runs. While they where coming back in after a limb walk thier hitches stayed wide open and self fed. They were using a harder lay cord. They had to "set" thier hitch before wieghting it or they would have begun a very rapid decent.

Originally posted by NickfromWI

Should open hitches (Tautline, blakes) be held to 5,000lbs? I think so.

love
nick

It would make sense.

I only use my hitch for short descents, under 30 feet roughly. Anything more and I set an 8. I can get down faster without burning or putting undue wear on my split-tail.

Originally posted by RockyJSquirrel
First, I do not think in terms of 'descent' hitches. My friction hitch is a positioning device suitable for ascent, descent and positioning.

Second, I do not think in terms of 'how much weight can this hitch hold'. I think in terms of cordage tensile strength and proper tying of a hitch.
I thought knowing how much weight your hitch can control in descent (versus ascent because I thought descent is more challenging than ascent for the hitch) would be just as important as knowing how strong the rope or cord forming your hitch is.

Originally posted by tjk
do'nt forget if you are using a doubled rope system, your hitch only holds half your wieght.
So for the descent control capability of a hitch to meet the 10:1 safety factor in a dynamic rope system with a 200 pound climber, the hitch must control the descent of 1000 pounds ( 200 X 10 / 2 , assuming no friction from the TIP), right?

i think we should walk/talk more conservatively; any error in calcs; could multiply on the next error, a string of these errors/assumptions would not put us where we claim to be.

When did rope strength /synthetics requirement drop to 5000?

Is a line wrapped around, rubbing itself (as basket doesn't do) still the same as basket strength?

Samson told me that it wasn't as strong as 2 lines (rope slung over support to hitch load in basket lacing); that they calculate strength in that position at 1.65x tensile not 2x. Saying that the round sling qoted as 2x has more legs, and that is more of a convention to quote 2x, than science.

if we wrap a 5/16" line around anything, wouldn't we still want at least 4x diameter for the host it constricts; which would be over 1"; really to quote at 100%; host should be 8x diameter; and some chords might be a lil'stiff for that general formulae?

So what is the compounding mistake of all these 'errors'?
Everything is being assumed at full strength; yet is prolly comrpomised here and there.

Taking 1/2 of the metal strength; assuming full basket strength even though baskets don't bend over themselves rubbing, assuming a line as a roundsling will be calculated at 2x strength assuming no loss from bend: all could have compounding error; on perhaps the piece taking the most friction?

i'm not saying that they aren't safe, just that a publically proclaimed 2500# isn't conservative/high enough to say that you are staying with the whole rest of the philosophy of SWL; in the smallest, thinnest, newest piece of synthetic gear we may have; that might take the most friction abuse in the smallest area. i think that (at least publically quoted) shold be more towards 3500-4000; why not? Brian's chord recomendation hits that,and is smaller diameter, so could retain more strength wrapping around a 1/2" host.

i believe as Bradley does, that descending on a hitch tests it more than sitting ascending. True sit/ascend has to grip harder and hold so muenter though a descending hitch, and up to those riggers, is not good enuff for the sit/ascend; but i general if it can take the rigors of descending is the true strength and sturdy test to me.

i think that a system is as strong as it's weakest link; if we will cut corners here, why not lower the strength of the whole system?

i think for a lot of non-JP type climbers; the SWL ratio for lifeline gear ends up closer to 20/1. Even though the arguement can be made chord is a temp; i think we should maintain/raise/lower the standards in a planned way across the board.

TreeSpyder,

The whole reason we use a 10:1 static system safety factor (or 8:1 in Australia, 15:1 in US fire service) is to allow for the weakening of ropes and webbing by knots and tight turns around TIPs. This keeps it simple and conservatively strong.

The alternative is to calculate exactly how much strength is lost in a particular system and size your gear so it can still handle the expected live load.

But instead of wracking your brain with all that engineering, just use the SSSF of 10:1 and you're covered.

- Robert

Descending on a hitch

Eagle1,

You addressed your question to Nick, but I'll attempt an answer. I assume you mean on SRT (single rope) rather than DdRT (doubled rope).

I've been running this question around myself: is it possible to safely descend on a single rope with a friction hitch. I had previously answered this with a resounding NO, but I'm reconsidering.

The problem with most friction hitches is that they are very compact (this is a good thing, generally), which gives them a grab-or-release operation. This is helpful for ascending a fixed line: once broken they slide relatively easily - once released they grab quickly and reliably.

In order to function as a descender, a hitch would have to offer variable and controllable friction instead of an either/or. I think this is possible with the longer, braided friction hitches such as the VT or the similar hitch used in rope rescue, the Dog-'n-tails (see attached picture).

In the cave rescue community, we've been experimenting with the Dog-'n-tails as a means (actually the ONLY means) of descending a loaded rope (a rope with a casualty hanging on it), as any mechanical rappel device requires slack below the device.

I would be very interested in anyone's experience in descending a fixed single line with a friction hitch.

- Robert

Robert. I asked that question because i do believe, and practice decending on a single line, with a hitch (Blake).
I am sure that some would say it is not advisable. I always have a "8" stopper at the end, and I keep my rope in good contition.

I never saw or herd of a blake just "failing" when tied properly. I also would love input on this.

Rock,---fire away!!

Re: Descending on a hitch

Originally posted by RescueMan

In the cave rescue community, we've been experimenting with the Dog-'n-tails as a means (actually the ONLY means) of descending a loaded rope (a rope with a casualty hanging on it), as any mechanical rappel device requires slack below the device.

I would be very interested in anyone's experience in descending a fixed single line with a friction hitch.

- Robert

I have tried using a VT on single rope, and it was not very fun.

In the scenario you put forward I would want to be belayed on a second rope too (f at all possible)

I think it would be a tool of last resort, vs. SOP.

How do you think that would work in cave applications set up in a VT form?

I think the VT, if tied long with lots of braid, is structurally the same as the Dog-'n-tails and would function the same.

I would not descend, however, on the shortened version of the VT I've seen pictured on arborist sites and in these forums.

The attached picture is an incorrectly-labled MT Prusik (actually a VT without the initial round turns - an MT is tied with a closed-loop). And this doesn't have enough braids for me to feel comfortable using as a descent hitch.

We use twelve crosses on the DnT.

- Robert

Wow. An acknowledgement from Rocky. Do you really think that you have to question the fact to another what rope tech. I am refferring to??***-****

Back