Sales commission????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sassafras

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Whoever has sales arborists or is in sales. Do you pay or get paid a commission percentage or a specific amount on jobs you sell. I am now selling/ consulting for a company for my hourly only. Originally he said there would be commission and hourly, now its not. I like my job, I don't like the shaft. Am i wrong to feel this way. I just wanted to see what is reasonable and fair. Thanks.

A "small" base of $200 a week + 10% commission on all work sold when completed and reviewed for profitability. We also supply a cell phone,auto and gas card. The "profitability" review helps keep the :jester: in line as anyone can sell a mill$$ a day at $0.50 on the dollar.

20% on all jobs preformed + an extra 5% if i sold the job

Whoever has sales arborists or is in sales. Do you pay or get paid a commission percentage or a specific amount on jobs you sell. I am now selling/ consulting for a company for my hourly only. Originally he said there would be commission and hourly, now its not. I like my job, I don't like the shaft. Am i wrong to feel this way. I just wanted to see what is reasonable and fair. Thanks.
consultants/consulting arborists are normaly not doing tree sales.

I used to get an hourly wage and then 10% after expences for the day where met. The percentage after a profit started to show gave me huge incentive to work well with the rest of the employees and work for efficient and profitable bids.
I made a lot of money for the time and place.

Question with straight commision is, do you get to do all of the bids?
1 good Salesman can keep 10 guys and 3 trucks working everyday, and grind all the stumps, doing only residential. 10% of 10 men and 3 trucks is quite a good income. But is your company that big? If not you could be stuck in the $100 or less range per day. Who could live on that? It's fun to love your job, but a good salesman can make a lot of money. Sounds to me like you need to do some serious salesmanship on that boss of yours. A salesman basically solves problems or gives solutions. It's not like you are knocking on doors (I hope). A tree salesman doesn't have to be a good talker, or negotiator. He just needs to know the work end of the business and what the boss expects to make off that work.
I may be talking out my behind here, because if I needed to hire a salesman to replace myself, I would pay him well simply because I would want a good one, and I would want him to stay.
I guess what I am saying is get your closing % up to near 98% then sell the boss on a better pay arrangement.
Sales is fun!!

What you need to look at is - did your boss promise something and then not come through. If this is the case he will always be screwing you on the commissions - pure greed and short sighted. If this type of boss decides to pay you on margin - he will always assign more expense to the job to keep from paying you.

I was in sales for many years in my previous career and have seen these type of guys many times. You are in for nothing but frustration trying to work with them.

If you elect to stay - years down the road when you are reaping the benefits of residuals he will see this as gravy and again change the rules. As a good salesman you deserve these easy residuals as well as the commissions from the late nights.

Find a new boss that realizes a good salesman makes him money, not costs him.

What you need to look at is - did your boss promise something and then not come through. If this is the case he will always be screwing you on the commissions - pure greed and short sighted. If this type of boss decides to pay you on margin - he will always assign more expense to the job to keep from paying you.

I was in sales for many years in my previous career and have seen these type of guys many times. You are in for nothing but frustration trying to work with them.

If you elect to stay - years down the road when you are reaping the benefits of residuals he will see this as gravy and again change the rules. As a good salesman you deserve these easy residuals as well as the commissions from the late nights.

Find a new boss that realizes a good salesman makes him money, not costs him.

I had a boss like this once. It was a commission based job and just as the pay started to get good, he'd change up the pay plan making it sound better but in reality, I'd have to start all over each time.

$250 a day plus truck gas card and cell.

Where's the incentive in that? A flat rate no matter how much you sell? Why limit someone capable of much more than that? Commission based pay keeps the employee honest and working towards the common goal of making the company lots of money which in turn makes him lots of money.

Worked at a large company in a sales office - in came a new sales commission structure in the company mail - an older seasoned guy took a quick glance at it and threw in the round file.

I was busy calculating what I could make under the new plan - he looked at over at me and said "you don't think they came up with a new plan so they could pay you more do you?" He was right!

I was busy calculating what I could make under the new plan - he looked at over at me and said "you don't think they came up with a new plan so they could pay you more do you?" He was right!
:agree2: if that aint plaine n simple i dont know what is:clap:

Sales

I used to work at a bigger company with a good sales commision scheme. At first you get paid salary until you get your feet under you. Then you get paid like 7 perecnt up to 500K, it goes up steadily until you reach over amillion, when it goes to 10%. I thnk over two you get like maybe 12 or 13 but I am not sure. You also got a gas stipend every month.

I'm gald to see all your advertising is returning a profit ! The phone-lines are busy & employees working ! Apparently someone has failed to notify others about the "current -nationwide-recession" ! :buttkick: :buttkick: :buttkick:

Back