Salt Lake City, UT Area Felling G-T-G & Service Project

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Gents:

I've got a "service project" that needs some help. The Boy Scouts of America have a summer camp in the High Uinta Mountains. The Mountain Pine Beetle has killed 40% of the trees. The camp has an urgent need for some serious tree felling. The dead trees are around the "Klondike" cabins, roads and camp sites. The US Forest Service has been after the BSA to take care of the trees ASAP. The problem, is that the BSA needs volunteers to do this work.

The camp closes on August 12 and all the staff and scouts head home. My plan is to organize a couple of outings where we can cut with no people or equipment to hinder our efforts. My plan is to do a weekend -- either Fri/Sat or Sat/Sun in the next few weeks. Perhaps August 18/19 -- August 25/26 -- or September 8/9.

I need help with experienced fallers with big saws that are willing to do a little pro bono work. The site is approximately 75 miles from Salt Lake City. So far, I've got only one experienced faller that has committed. I've got several rookies that can handle the smaller trees, but I need help with the 28" to 40" trees. There is little or no limbing or bucking. This is just "cut and run". Literally hundreds of trees need to be felled to make the camp safe.

If you can help, please send me a text with your info and availability. 281-732-4233

Keep me in mind the next time you do one of these. I have family in Ogden and could come help you if the date worked and it would be a good reason for a trip out there. This month is shot for me unfortunately.

Although I'd probably classify myself somewhere above rookie and well below pro.

I'd be more than happy to borrow the Echo. One more bigger saw will definitely help. Do you ave a long bar for it?

Let me know how to contact you and I'll pick up the saw a day or 2 before the event.

Thanks,

JQ

We can still use a few more fallers and saws to help us out. The current plan is to be at the site around 07:00 on Saturday morning, August 26. The latitude / longitude coordinates for the turn-off to the access road from State Highway 150 are:

40.716753°, -110.877078°

Coordinates to the main cutting site are:

40.719426°, -110.884852°

This just came to me from the Director of Camp Steiner. Seems that my little service project has taken on new life...

We need your help to save Camp Steiner! The Forest Service (FS) is requiring that a significant number dead standing trees at Camp Steiner need to be cut down, or we will not be able to open for camp in 2018. The dates that we will be cutting trees are August 25-26, September 15-16, and September 29-30. Please register online to let us know you are coming at https://www.saltlakescouts.org/steiner, then click on Camp Steiner Service Camporee. The council has retained the services of a professional tree cutting service to help us remove most of the trees that are hazardous. We will need help in cutting other dead trees, some of which may be already on the ground. Permits are available from the FS so that volunteers may take some of the wood home for personal use. Please click here for FS permit details; https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd508733.pdf. The permit must be purchased from the FS in person.

Campsites are available on a first come, first served basis. Please bring only adults 18+ and youth that are 14 or older. We do not want any younger children, as this will be hazardous work.

We also need help to complete the building of staff tent platforms. If you can do this instead of cutting trees, please come. We will need you to bring your cordless power tools, mostly drills (screw drivers) and saws, and generators to recharge the other tools. We would also like to move the old platforms and put the new ones in place.

Please forward this email to anyone you feel should know about this. Also feel free to post it on any social media.

Thank you,

Reid Hall | Senior District Executive

BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA
Great Salt Lake Council

525 Foothill Blvd |
SLC UT 84113
801-671-1210c, 801-582-3663 x 204
[email protected]

Aug 25/6 service project went well. About 20 people showed up to cut. A good amount of firewood was removed. Our group felled 20+ trees.
Next date is September 15 & 16. Hope to see some A/S site folks there to help out.

JQ

Back