Saphire Paulownia Buds

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suaf

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I planted 2 Saphire Paulownias last year and they have grown quite well and both made it through a northern IL winter. I have noticed on both trees that the tops seem to have lost out to the cold though (though I am still waiting to see if buds appear in the coming warmer weeks).

Should buds fail to apear at the tops of the trees, my understanding is that they should be cut back to an auxillary bud to take the leader position. In the photo I have attached (sorry it's small - yes, it's from my phone)...you can see the buds tat would be those auxillaries. My questions are these:

1) How long do I wait to see if buds will appear on top before trimming down?
2) If I do trim down to existing buds, should I make sure there is only 1 - as opposed to the 2 in the picture? If so, how do you remove the second unwanted bud - with a pruners, pinch it off??

Thanks in advance!

Hmmm - wondering why no responses on my question. Perhaps few fans of Paulownias:laugh:

That being said, I just need to know how to start a new leader for the tree trunk from the top 2 buds on the tree. Do I pich off one of them so they don't both brabch out and the existing one will grow up? Do I have to tie it so it grows straight? Any response would be greatly appreciated...THANKS!

wait until you are positive that the top is dead. scratch the bark above--where there's green there's hope.

yes pinch off the other axillary bud.

no need to tie, most likely--sprout should grow up not out in time.

Thanks for your response. There were some tiny buds that seemed to be coming out but they just stopped while the rapid growth of the new buds continued - so I cut off the tops where it seemed to be dying. However, now I noticed and have since read that the inside of a Paulownia is hollow. Do I have to be concerned about rot as rainwater enters the no hollow top of the stem?

suaf said:
Do I have to be concerned about rot as rainwater enters the no hollow top of the stem?
yes. Paulonia have a hollow pith, or no pith at all, really.

That means they can't drink, huh?:jester: :clap:

If you still have the top you cut, scracth the bark. If it is green inside, that is a big Whoops!, because you just topped your tree. :buttkick:

If yhe tree's in good vigor it oughta seal the wound before heavy rot goes down the stem. I think. You could experiment with sealant like a NEWT, but don't let anyone know. :blush:

Latest posts

Back