Saw bar cover idea

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ck0461

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just wanted to share pics of the bar covers I built out of 3" fire hose. Thought it might've useful to somebody. The rubber lined inner jacket covers the bar, pouch is made from the cotton jacketed outer layer.

Attachments

• IMG_0451.JPG
    IMG_0451.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 93
  • IMG_0452.JPG
    IMG_0452.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 88
Just wanted to share pics of the bar covers I built out of 3" fire hose. Thought it might've useful to somebody. The rubber lined inner jacket covers the bar, pouch is made from the cotton jacketed outer layer.
Very cool, looks rugged. Where'd you get the hose?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

That looks like a pretty good fit. I found a coil of ancient (probably) firehose a few years ago about 15' long. I cut some 17" and some 21" but I find that my bar barley fits inside,... the teeth catch ever few inches and now the canvas covering the rubber is unraveling. That makes bunches of thread loops that catch even worse. I wonder if all hose is the same diameter? Maybe mine is smaller than normal.

Hose sizes- attack 1.5,1.34,2.5
Supply- 3"4"5"6"
I've found that 3" works best. Burning the cuts with a butane torch keeps them from unraveling. Can't burn the older hose since it's cotton, newer hose is synthetic. They all work awesome for tow straps too, other than there heavy. I've skidded a lot of logs out with the smaller stuff.

Tread lightly but go up to the Forestry and Logging forum and search for bar cover threads. Look in the FIRE thread too. There are quite a few that might help anyone's quest for a decent bar cover. Used fire hose is a standard. BTW if you fold the short section of hose the opposite way the OP did then you have a hot powerhead protector.

These seem to be the best but expensive. sawgaurd.com

I use these. thepackshack.com

I've been using the 3 inch fire dept rejected fire hose for quite a few years, mostly on EZ and the smaller homelites.

I cut slits in the sides of the hose and stick the screnchs and files thru the slits. Screnchs and files fit snug enough that they won't fall out

The 3 inch won't fit over most of the stihl and larger bars, needs to be 4 inch.

Back