Saw chain from Home Depot

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OR from the Chinese supplier having teeth from different subcontractors randomly mixed together?

Oregon Engineer said:
Were the teeth worn unevenly and broken due to poor operator technique?

Not really. The tops of the teeth were not darkened, and it appeared to have been oiled properly.

Just some teeth were pretty nice, and looked like they would have taken a sharpening no problem, while others were worn back t othe point that it was unsharpenable..

I was pretty shocked to see a newer chain fail.

I had a Homelite XL I ran on 1 chain for at least 10 hours of cutting after Ivan and I only sharpened it a couple times, and the teeth looked great, still do. And it wasnt oiling properly either, and I did cut up a large section of privacy fence, nails and all, with no chain damage. This was an Oregon Chain, btw.

Im going to be ordering some different chain to try out, out of my Cutters Choice catalog. It is "ripping" chain..looks nice, just wondering what is so different about it. Made by Laser.

Ripping chain is for cutting logs lengthwise, ie: milling boards from a log, not for cross cutting (what you normally do with a chainsaw)

Mark

ripping chain

RED-85-Z51 said:
It is "ripping" chain..looks nice, just wondering what is so different about it. Made by Laser.

Ripping chain is designed to cut with the grain of the wood. It is primarily used for chainsaw milling. Regular saw chain is designed to cut across the grain.

:chainsaw:

So I could use it to "split" logs instead of an axe and wedge?

SWEEET:biggrinbounce2:

Oregon Engineer said:
Were the teeth worn unevenly and broken due to poor operator technique?
The replacement "so far it hasnt needed sharpening, and he says he's only had to tighten it a few times." I have no knowledge aregarding the quality of the chain that was so nasty but I'm not sure that any of the evaluators involved in the case have sufficient expertise to accurately determine what happened.

Got one more for you.

I picked up a Poulan Pro for repair 2 weeks ago and they guy told me " I just put a new chain on from The box Store" and it worked for 20-30 minutes then locked up.

I found that the drive teeth were chewed up to the point they dug into the bar and stopped the chain. Id never seen such a failure before, and Im not sure if he meant HD or Lowes, as "the box Store" so its a toss up.

The clutch was fine, and the chain was the proper pitch, size etc. The cluth was barely even worn in, and a new chain worked perfectly. IT was not loose on the bar either, and it did oil fine when I started it with a new chain.

Anyone else ever heard of drive tooth failure?

Stumper said:
The replacement "so far it hasnt needed sharpening, and he says he's only had to tighten it a few times." I have no knowledge aregarding the quality of the chain that was so nasty but I'm not sure that any of the evaluators involved in the case have sufficient expertise to accurately determine what happened.

Im just telling you what I saw. And that was a new chain that looked like it was 20 years old, beat to death. And I saw what he had been cutting, jsut some oak, pine, and I think 1 smaller Pecan tree.

I put the new Chain on, and he finsihed up what he was doing ( I helped him move the logs, so Iwas there to watch) and it did fine. He only had to stop a few times to re-tension the new chain, while the old one he said he was having to stop quite often to take up the slop.

RED-85-Z51 said:
Im just telling you what I saw. And that was a new chain that looked like it was 20 years old, beat to death. And I saw what he had been cutting, jsut some oak, pine, and I think 1 smaller Pecan tree.

I put the new Chain on, and he finsihed up what he was doing ( I helped him move the logs, so Iwas there to watch) and it did fine. He only had to stop a few times to re-tension the new chain, while the old one he said he was having to stop quite often to take up the slop.

Observations are what I'm looking for. Keep an eye out for the chain brand as you work on future saws and chains.

RED-85-Z51 said:
Got one more for you.

I picked up a Poulan Pro for repair 2 weeks ago and they guy told me " I just put a new chain on from The box Store" and it worked for 20-30 minutes then locked up.

I found that the drive teeth were chewed up to the point they dug into the bar and stopped the chain. Id never seen such a failure before, and Im not sure if he meant HD or Lowes, as "the box Store" so its a toss up.

The clutch was fine, and the chain was the proper pitch, size etc. The cluth was barely even worn in, and a new chain worked perfectly. IT was not loose on the bar either, and it did oil fine when I started it with a new chain.

Anyone else ever heard of drive tooth failure?

Heard of many many chewed up drivers on all chain brands. It comes from the chain being thrown off the bar at full speed. The chain slides around the bar rails a few times before it falls off curling the edge of the drive links in the process. The sprocket chews up some of the chain drivers as the chain is hanging off the saw. I'd like to have a dollar for everytime I'd had such a chain come in and the customer saying it won't go back in the bar. I always say "you threw the chain off didn't you" and they always say how did you know......

I thought that junk at HD was Carlton. No consistancy from one tooth to the next. Hard/soft teeth. It's not different vendors it is poor process and quality control.

BTW the reason the "engineer" did not answer the question was because he didn't know. Spin to Win.

Fred

Oregon Engineer said:
Observations are what I'm looking for. Keep an eye out for the chain brand as you work on future saws and chains.

Do you have a reference as to what manufacturer uses what ID'ing markings on their chains?

I see alot of saws, usually residential grade, sometimes Professional grade.

ShoerFast said:
Robert

How fast is that chain spining, if I may ask?

As my guess would be 75MPH,n for a SWAG, I do need to see (and hear) that saw someday!

Any other guesses befor I post the answer ???

Rotax Robert

Latest posts

Back