Saw chain from Home Depot

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oregon Engineer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Home Depot is selling saw chain with three interconnected rings or ovals stamped on the tiestraps. If you have tried this chain please post your experience.

Last edited:
Not chains, but H.D. files and guide.

The other day I was in a pinch on a sunday and needed a 3/16 file guide. Could have just free handed like I have in the past. But I went out to get a guide. The only place that had one in stock and that was open was H.D. and being sold under the name Power ??? just like their bars and chains are market under. The china made file guide is a P.O.S. and the file didnt hold up very long either. I will stick to my oregon and stihl file guides and files from now on. At least it was a cheap lesson.

Oregon Engineer said:
Home Depot is selling saw chain with three interconnected rings or ovals stamped on the tiestraps. If you have tried this chain please post your experience.
My experience tells me only to buy decent chain, like Oregon or Stihl etc. from a good Husky or Stihl dealer, buy junk at Homo Depot and you get what you deserve.

clearance said:
My experience tells me only to buy decent chain, like Oregon or Stihl etc. from a good Husky or Stihl dealer, buy junk at Homo Depot and you get what you deserve.
I think this is what he is saying, buy quality chain like Oregon. Read his profile, hense his name "Oregon Engineer"...Bob

Hang on guys, this is not meant to be an OREGON ad, or a bash HD. I read many threads to see what users (like you) think, feel, and experience with forestry related equipment and methods.

I'm interested in hearing from people who have used the chain, stamped with three inter connected ovals on the tie straps. I have not seen any threads on it, so I thought I would start one.

i was at home depot yesterday and looked at that chain. i noticed a few of the larger bars they sell in their brand packing (power something) are carlton laminated with carlton chain on them. the smaller ones have the oddly marked chain and bars that i could not identify.

Oregon Engineer said:
Hang on guys, this is not meant to be an OREGON ad, or a bash HD. I read many threads to see what users (like you) think, feel, and experience with forestry related equipment and methods.

I'm interested in hearing from people who have used the chain, stamped with three inter connected ovals on the tie straps. I have not seen any threads on it, so I thought I would start one.

Oregon, got a couple of questions for ya re. your chain, tried to get Blount Canada to answer but, they said it was confidential info.

What material is used in the cutters & what's the Rockwell "C" hardness ?
Paul

Paul61 said:
Oregon, got a couple of questions for ya re. your chain, tried to get Blount Canada to answer but, they said it was confidential info.

What material is used in the cutters & what's the Rockwell "C" hardness ?
Paul
I can't discuss our patented recipe or the hardness. What do you plan to do with the chain? I've seen it hammered into a knife.

NWCS said:
i was at home depot yesterday and looked at that chain. i noticed a few of the larger bars they sell in their brand packing (power something) are carlton laminated with carlton chain on them. the smaller ones have the oddly marked chain and bars that i could not identify.

I've noticed too that most cheap chineese saws advertise that they have carlton chain. I don't know where it's made, but it's association with all these cheap chineese saws would make me think China?

Just curious if anyone knows where carlton is actualy made.

Oregon Engineer said:
I can't discuss our patented recipe or the hardness. What do you plan to do with the chain? I've seen it hammered into a knife.

Actually I plan on using it for concrete (NOT)!! :dizzy:

The request for the info. was to do a hardness comparison with other makes of chain. The hardness # is no big deal, I can get that done easily. As for the material, I can get that accurately analized as well, if need be.

Re. your knife comment, please explain.

Paul61 said:

The request for the info. was to do a hardness comparison with other makes of chain. The hardness # is no big deal, I can get that done easily. As for the material, I can get that accurately analized as well, if need be.

We have this little hand held machine at work to test the material used in pipe and in the welds just touch it on the metal and it comes up with all the ingredients in the metal, its cool but i bet its not cheap...Bob

Paul61 said:

A knifemaker can forge his blank from a chainsaw chain. It looks pretty cool when done. I think that's what he meant.

chain.JPG

Paul61 said:

You may be surprised but a company called ICS (www.icsbestway.com) does make concrete/stone/rebar cutting chains (actually its a grinding process).

The knife - the saw chain is heated and folded (via hammering) and heated and folded until a section of a chain is formed into a solid bar or plate. Then it is formed into a knife and heat treated/acid etched to show off the differences in the rivet/cutter/tiestrap/chrome materials. They look neat. (Trimmmed - Thanks for posting the picture)

Last edited:
Back