saw chain sharpeners

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wojo

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
hi guys, I need to get a hand sharpener. I'm new at this and have never sharpened a chain before. my saw is a 372xp with 20" and 24" bars. I was on Baileys website and was looking at the Granberg file -n -joint part #15200 and I was also looking at the Pferd filing guide part #17049 . what do you guys think? I dont know what one to get. thanks for any suggestions or any help you guys can give.

i tried the search before i asked the question, there was a lot of good info but i didnt quit find what i was looking for

If I had to learn all over again I would buy both tools along with the standard file guide that clamps over 4/5ths of the file. Learn to sharpen while the bar is clamped in a vice and where the lighting is good. If you know of a real expert ask him for advice.

Granbergs are tried and true.

Easy to set up , pretty hard to do a bad job if you take your time. Stay away from the similar Oregon jig. Way to much flex to hold any consistency of angle(s).
The Stihl filing jigs are the best in my opinion but they like most good tools ain't cheap.

Suggest the Oregon or similar file holder. Makes holding the file much easier and you can use the marks as guides until you develop an eye.

If you plan on sharpening in the woods, get a $10 stump vise. It will make your life a lot easier.

Take Care

I use the Granberg, have for fifteen yr. or more. I had to use it a few times before I got fast and "good" with it. Once you are experienced with them, you can clamp them on the bar, adjust and be sharpening in a minute or two. At first, I was disappointed with the results [compared to freehand] until I did get better with it.

Another thing I had to learn was that one needs a good fresh file. I used to try to use them forever, saving money, until I realized they are a couple dollars each or less and a fresh one will do a hundred times better than a well-used one.

i tried the search before i asked the question, there was a lot of good info but i didnt quit find what i was looking for

I haven't used the Granberg sharpener. I have used a similar product from Oregon. I find the one I have easy to use and fairly quick. I carry it in the field in my tool box and sharpen my chains during the day while taking a break. Not as fast as free hand, but any one should be able to sharpen a chain accuratly with either one of these. Follow the directions. They clamp on the bar and you set the angle according to the chain you are using. Works like a charm. Just be sure to use the right file. I buy them by the dozen and use a new one when the old one starts to get smooth. (You can tell when its time)

rechargeable dremel and the saw sharpening guide is the only way to go

ya know.. I forgot about my dremel tool.. its not cordless but it would work fine in the shop... as a matter of fact I think I have the dremel kit for sharpening saw chain.... do you know if those stones they sell for the grinders will fit the dremel? :clap:

hi guys, I need to get a hand sharpener. I'm new at this and have never sharpened a chain before.

I know that this will sound like some old grizzled, ornery guy's advice, but place some trust in your ability to file with a simple guide and just a little bit of practice.

I tried the Oregon clamp on sharpening jig and got good results, but it was slow. Did a good job, but not that much better than a hand file in an Oregon or Stihl file holder with a steady hand.

Just find a way to hold the bar steady, set the chain brake to lock the chain, and take your time. You will gain skill and speed quickly. You will also be more likely to touch up a chain if you do not have to do the set up of the more complicated jigs.

If you can handle that saw and those bars, you have the ability to do the chains, although you might look for other options when sharpening the chains off of the saw.

Philbert

(P.S. +1 on the fresh file thing. . .)

Last edited:
ya know.. I forgot about my dremel tool.. its not cordless but it would work fine in the shop... as a matter of fact I think I have the dremel kit for sharpening saw chain.... do you know if those stones they sell for the grinders will fit the dremel? :clap:

yes the Oragon stones they sell fit sooo nice

thanks for all the replies, Philbert what would you recommend for a simple guide?

thanks for all the replies, Philbert what would you recommend for a simple guide?

Just the basic file guides sold by Oregon or Stihl. These are flat pieces of metal that clamp a round file at the right depth, and have angle guides stamped in them.

Apply gentle pressure with a steady hand and apply the same number of strokes to each tooth. You will become a pro in no time.

There are different guides for different diameter files. They sell for $5 to $10 at most saw stores, many hardware stores, Sears, etc., anywhere you can buy saw chain.

Philbert

For example, see:
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200307161_200307161
(this one is a little more $ because it includes a file)

Latest posts

Back