Saw cleaning trifecta !

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
before
rside20751.jpg

after
spbar1.jpg

Ah' Yes; the Bar. I had to retire it, and it's hanging in the shop. Dropped it out of a large oak 30' up. Bar stuck right in the ground like a jack-knife. Saved my saw.:clap:

I am also a fan of using these for cleaning most stuff:
Products - Scrapers - Jus N Tyme Tooling

I also have a few stiffer than tooth brushes that I picked up at the hardware store one is a nylon bristle, the other a brass bristle and stainless bristle all work nicely for most jobs.My set of Snap on pics works wonders too. Cant beat compressed air for most stuff. Carboard is nice for drawing diagrams and sticking bolts thru

Keepin a handful of these on hand too absorb oil and such.
Absorbent pads and rolls - Absorbents Online

SIL dips skoal saves me pocket cans and bulk plastic cans. Great for small parts ie: e-clips, carb. parts. Peanut butter jars for rim sprockets, etc. drill hole in the lid mount under shelf. Big Folgers coffee can holds muff, carb., screws etc. Cleaning: use Super Clean straight up for AF, Simple Green 50/50 water in ultrasonic for carbs only, kerosene in PW. Tools: pointed packing pick for corners, small brass and stainless wire brush three sizes PW brushes, paint scraper usually does all I need to do. Peanut butter jars I drill 5/16" hole the liid to store flexhones.
Shep

Hi, I use a digital camera that I keep in the shop. I take lots of pics when disassembling for a reminder how it goes back together.

I use magnetic trays - paint brushes - tooth picks - shish ka-bob - Sthil degreaser - mass air flow cleaner - carb cleaner for removing pine sap from bars - avon boxes for keeping organized(wife sells avon) - lunch bags - compressed air. And whole bunch of stuff on my work bench that is buried under unfinished saw projects.

My .02

Mike

I like to use laquar thinner works like brake and carb clean.I found it more plastic and paint friendly + it smells better.

50/50 mixture of acetone and ATF fluid works wonders for freeing stuck bolts and nuts. Works esp. well on stuck cylinder bolts. Apply liberally, let set for a couple hours and give a few light raps on the bolt head with a hammer. Found out about it from AS member "Edisto" and I can verify it works!

Next time you visit the dentist, ask about old dental tools. I am really hooked on a few of the sizes and shapes they use and try to increase my supply each time I visit. I threatened to change dentist's if they didn't save old tool for me and the next time I visited I left with over a pound of new and interesting shapes and designs.

Some of the small spatula like tools are very handy when manipulating JB weld on certain project, the picks and scrapers always come in handy.

I have mineral spirits in my parts washer, but keep a spray bottle of Purple Power or similar cleaning agent near by as well. I was absolutely amazed at the job it did getting old, gummy varnish out of a fuel tank that the solvent would not touch.

I keep one of the kids old sand box toys - a small metal shovel - on hand to scoop the sediment out of the parts washer when the time comes. It is perfectly sized for that job and if you drain the solvent first (see the next point) the sediment very little solvent content, particularly if you leave the parts washer alone for a few days before cleaning it.

I have had reasonably good success extending the life of the parts washer solvent by filtering it through an old tee shirt or similar material while pumping it out. Then clean the sediment out of the bottom refill with the "filtered" solvent and topping it off with enough fresh stuff to bring the level up to normal. The local auto shop takes the old solvent when the time comes to mix with used motor oil for his waste oil burner.

I wear glasses so I always have some level of eye protection when working in the shop, but find I like to wear my hearing protection as well when using compressed air for cleaning since hitting some of the holes and ports can make an objectionably loud noise.

Mark

I thought I was the only one who used chopsticks. I find the big fat ones with the flat ends work well.

Those magnetic trays are great, sometimes they have them at the dollar store here.

I also have a plastic pry bar sort of deal, it's made for removing trim panels on cars I think. Makes a great scraper.

Nice dog, nice dog, . . .

You really have a manual oiler on that thing? (or what's that black lever next to the kill switch?)

Philbert

Thanks, the OEM aluminum chain catcher was about 3/8" and had about a 5/16-3/8" gap on the outter dog side, so I made one from Delrin that bridges the full 1.5" between the dogs and is 1" OD
I may make me some dogs next as well as a few other things to make it "mine" ;)

Don't know if I'd call it a manual oiler, the lever is for "extra" oil. You flip it and a cable to the oiler increases the flow till you push the lever and it resets to the normal amount. IMHO a really cool feature

Thanks, the OEM aluminum chain catcher was about 3/8" and had about a 5/16-3/8" gap on the outter dog side, so I made one from Delrin that bridges the full 1.5" between the dogs and is 1" OD
I may make me some dogs next as well as a few other things to make it "mine" ;)

Don't know if I'd call it a manual oiler, the lever is for "extra" oil. You flip it and a cable to the oiler increases the flow till you push the lever and it resets to the normal amount. IMHO a really cool feature

That "old" 3120 is looking good. A real beast of a saw. The turbo switch on the oiler is a cool feature. Like the chain catcher mod. That saw has definitely found a great home.

Back