Saw dog question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwp

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I may be using the wrong name for the teeth that rest against the wood as you cut. The metal prongs that I am talking about are attached to the saw where the bar attaches to the saw.

So this is what my question is. My husky 55 has these teeth on both sides of the bar. All my previous saws only had one set of metal prongs on the inside of the chain bar. Why would a saw have two sets of metal prongs? Also I have noticed that the prongs on the outside of the bar contact the wood and the inside prongs hardly ever touch the wood.

Please explain to me why my saw is set up this way. Is there an advantage to having two sets of metal prongs?

Mainly there for looks

in my considered opinion, difference in size could be because the clutch guard is from a 455?:confused2:

Makes the saw look mean!

Those are called DAWGS (west coast) or dogs (east coast), or felling spikes, or bumper spikes. They are dug into the wood so you can pull up on the rear handle to pressure the chain thru the wood. Not to be used to force a dull chain !!!! The double dogs help keep the bar perpendicular to the wood, they should be the same size and both contact the wood when the bar is perpendicular to the wood (as long as yer wood is straight).

Hope I didn't mess that up too bad, and yes they look cool.

Thanks Hamish. I can see how that could be helpful. I am no longer of the unknowing.

outside dogs are indispensible while cutting/felling big hardwoods. my 372's stock dogs sometimes werent enough on some oaks with big root swells so i bought some bigger ones from baileys. lost an inch of usable bar length but its worth it. they look great for the firewood cutter and whatnot but as a logger they gain a truly functional existence.

Back