Saw for um...er...wife...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife has her own 026 Pro with 16"B/C....I'm not allowed to use it :)
It's a light powerful Saw and she Handles it Safely...
I think that Safety is the Most Important factor in your/Her decision,,For that reason i would stay away from the top handle saw for now.
I spent allot of time teaching my wife Safety.. The only thing i forgot to warn her about was poison Ivy
last year she was helping me clear fence rows she got into the poison and ended up with it head to toe.

Dolmar 420 or 421. Easy starting, professional build, great power.

Best recomendation so far! :clap:

Something in the 35-40cc range would be ideal in my book.

Good luck and don't forget PPE! Making dinner alone is a real pain!!!

My wife loves her 017 w/ 14" bar/chain. At 110 lbs, I would feel a little uncomfortable if she were to try something larger. It sure does help when someone else is limbing while cutting BBQ wood.

Mini mac. :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Thanks everyone. I have an MS210C that I was thinking about selling. I'll see if she can handle that one. If not I'll look for something else. I'm hoping she won't want/need an easy start. PPE is a must and I'll get her set up. I'll check with a couple dealers and see if they can get a 150. That might work well to get my son going as well. He's only 9 and I'm not in a rush but he's the best worker I've had in a long time (everyone else takes more breaks than work).

Thanks everyone. I have an MS210C that I was thinking about selling. I'll see if she can handle that one. If not I'll look for something else. I'm hoping she won't want/need an easy start. PPE is a must and I'll get her set up. I'll check with a couple dealers and see if they can get a 150. That might work well to get my son going as well. He's only 9 and I'm not in a rush but he's the best worker I've had in a long time (everyone else takes more breaks than work).

claybustr - sounds like you're on the right track. I'm also in the Indy area (Brownsburg, to be exact) and before getting to your last post I was thinking I might contact you with a suggestion. I currently have an MS210 and an MS192T in the shop and was going to offer them up for borrowing if you wanted to let your wife try both out and get an idea of top vs. rear handle. The MS210 is a nice, lightweight saw that will get any normal job done. Since you have a 210 you know what's up there, but you're welcome to try out a 192T if interested.

As others have suggested, a top-handle is probably not a good choice for a newby or younger operator since it's just too easy to make a painful mistake. That said, the MS150 (which I don't believe is available in the US yet?) would be a great choice if you went for the rear-handle version.

I also have an MS180 C-BE that just needs an engine swap. Should be running in a week or two, so if you wanted to give that a shot it's be available soon. It's an easy start like you said you were hoping to avoid, but it would still be a nice example of a small homeowner rear-handle if you wanted one for her to try out.

A MS170 is a throw away homeowner saw that I would not use myself, so that's off the list.:taped:

Yes, I'm a chainsaw snob, lol:)

I have one that I use all the time. It's an awesome little yard saw. It has the two screw 025 carb and a muffler mod and it rocks out the little 12" bar. :)

My wife was helping me clean up a creek bottom today and she told me she wants her own saw. She has never ran a saw and to be honest she's more comfortable in a country club than the country. But she is trying. I can't help but appreciate that. Any thoughts on a good starter saw for a complete nooby? I was thinking about picking up a used Stihl 192. She won't be felling trees. Mostly just cleaning up ground clutter and maybe some smaller tops.

I'm still a little in shock. Not only was she busting her ass but she wants a saw. I guess teaching her how to shoot is paying dividends.

I took it that you were referring to the MS192 C-E , - - - - - - -and not the top handle saw MS192 T C-E. I would not recommend a top handle saw for her at all.

Dolmar..

As others have said, the Dolmar 420 would be a great starter saw. G-pa has one and its a lovely saw. I just about bought one myself but ended up buying a 510. If your into the older stuff a Homelite 150 is an great saw, super light weight with a lot of power for the size, not much vibration unlike the super xl's.. I used to cut a lot with homelites but they've been parked for a while cause once ya use a Dolmar it's hard to go back.. Chain brakes and anti - vibe is nice, And Its nice to not reek like 2 stroke smoke after a day of cutting..

Three dozen posts and nobody has said it yet?

:rolleyes2:

Fine, I'll do it....

Good trade!

Hate me all you want... But the few guys that have them or have had them wish they had another...

Redmax 3800 or 4000!

I gave my neighbor the 3800 I had and wish I had it back! Easy to work on and screaming powerful with just a muffler mod. My 3800 was run poorly by myself with semi chisel 3/8 lo-pro chain at the 40cc saw races in Iowa and I was still on 2-3 seconds off the leaders... They are super powerful and light. I have 021, 018, 024, 026, super2, earthquake, etc etc etc mentioned above and would gladly trade and 3 or 4 of them for another clean 3800!!!

Brad and others that have ran them will back me up on it...

Hate me all you want... But the few guys that have them or have had them wish they had another...

Redmax 3800 or 4000!

I gave my neighbor the 3800 I had and wish I had it back! Easy to work on and screaming powerful with just a muffler mod. My 3800 was run poorly by myself with semi chisel 3/8 lo-pro chain at the 40cc saw races in Iowa and I was still on 2-3 seconds off the leaders... They are super powerful and light. I have 021, 018, 024, 026, super2, earthquake, etc etc etc mentioned above and would gladly trade and 3 or 4 of them for another clean 3800!!!

Brad and others that have ran them will back me up on it...

Yes siree! Those little Redmax saws make fine runners.

Back