Saw for um...er...wife...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As others have said, the Dolmar 420 would be a great starter saw. G-pa has one and its a lovely saw. I just about bought one myself but ended up buying a 510. If your into the older stuff a Homelite 150 is an great saw, super light weight with a lot of power for the size, not much vibration unlike the super xl's.. I used to cut a lot with homelites but they've been parked for a while cause once ya use a Dolmar it's hard to go back.. Chain brakes and anti - vibe is nice, And Its nice to not reek like 2 stroke smoke after a day of cutting..

I thought 2 stroke smoke smells nice.....

I bought a 192C a few weeks ago for light yard work; primarily because it was the lightest saw I could find, but also because it will run the same bar/chain that my pole pruner uses. That was right before certain people started bashing the model pretty hard. I hadn't even had a chance to run it yet!

So I took it out in the yard a week ago and attacked an osage orange that needed some trimming (it's on the edge of the yard and needs attention at least once yearly to keep it out of one's face when mowing).

Handled it without issue. Don't understand what the fuss is about. True, I haven't had it long but it seems to be a fine tool for what it's intended for. A pro saw would be 'way over kill for these light chores.

View attachment 297411

Last edited:
I bought the 339xp for a similar purpose, but Witchy mostly used larger saws! :msp_smile:

Be sure that your wife understand everything regarding safe cutting, and wear protective boots and chaps a minimum of safety gir.

Btw, I don't understand those that think the wife should be content with a more or less crappy "homeowner" saw!

Last edited:
Well heres my story. The wife decided she wanted a chain saw of her own she had been running my 032, something a little lighter. So I went to the saw shop and bought her a stihl 180 the easy start version, wrapped it up put it behind the Christmas tree. Mission accomplished or so I thought. About a week later I come home from work and she tells me she ran the neighbors 180 and she said "Id never want a saw that small". long story short she has a Stihl 260 pro and she loves it. shes ran the 066 and the 372xpw likes been said earlier don't under estimate a woman and shes an awful good shot too.

My gal has run my 362 Stihl 18 inch bar no problem. I have a picture of her holding the ms660 Stihl I had with 20 inch bar. I sold that saw but she would of handled it fine.

I'm sure your wife would do fine up to a 362.

Btw my gal had all safety on. Chaps safety glasses boots ear protection and gloves.

Safety apparel does not cost much.

Best of luck on your decision

Latest posts

Back