Saw ID help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fearofpavement

Trying them all
Reaction score
I looked at a saw today at a yard sale. I couldn't see any identifying marks on it and am curious as to what it may be. The seller thought it was a David Bradley. I don't have any pics of it and am sure that will compound the difficulty of ID. It has both fuel and oil caps mounted next to each other on the front of the saw. I searched the web and the closest thing I could find was a Craftsman 917.62812. This isn't the exact saw but similar. There appears to be a chain brake on the one in question but no brake lever. It is equipped with a bow bar in fair shape. The owner said he used it about three months ago to cut down a small tree. He is also selling a wood shark Poulan. I believe that one ran three months ago but this bow saw has been unused for a lengthy period of time (likely years) based on the rust on the chain, etc.

He wanted 20 bucks a piece for the saws and I passed on both of them although he insists they are both in running condition. The Poulan may run but isn't worth much even in running condition. The David Bradley/Roper/Craftsman saw (whatever it is) is probably only valuable for the bow.

I am not personally interested in acquiring these to keep or use, just to flip, but I don't want to invest in small quantities of scrap metal either.

Oh, the saw is yellow and gray like McCulloch colors but I'm pretty sure it's not a Mac. I could of course be wrong...

Any ideas?

My rule of thumb is:

If I can part it out and at least recoup the initial outlay = buy
If I have even a slight interest in it = buy

Given that you say one has a bow on it, I wouldn't have even hesitated to buy it. I didn't think the Poulan two man I picked up was worth much when I bought it....then I came home and started doing some looking around.

Well, the place is only a mile from here so maybe I'll get back by there and pick up the bow saw. With the recent increase in shipping fees, these bows are spendy to send through the mail as they are both heavy and large. Bows locally don't have much value as they aren't rare. The pulp wood industry utilized these type of saws frequently and they show up quite regularly. The little Poulan would sell for about $45 bucks in running condition. So maybe even that would be worthwhile if it is currently running.

I picked up two Poulan 2000 saws last night in New Market, Virginia as I was passing through on my way from Harrisburg to Atlanta. I gave $16 for both. A case came with one. They both had issues but one makes noise. The other one is scored but I have enough of these little top handled Poulans now that I am going to try to get a couple assembled. Not much money invested and won't make much either but it's an enjoyable diversion for me. I try to "make money" at least on paper. As long as I don't calculate any labor, it works out. If I put an hourly rate to my efforts it is probably about a buck per hour. lol.

Latest posts

Back