Saw Manufacturer's Screwup of the Year!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Saw Manufacturer's Screw up of the Year!!!

Originally posted by Rich Hoffman
Who out of all they saw makes that we use had the screwups this year. Mine vote goes to Stihl. Their fixed jets, stifled mufflers and reduced bar oil output makes them win hands down IMO!

they havn't changed anything on the oilers i dont believe.

Look at your husky saws in a few years, alot of the stihl stuff is 2005 emisions compliant i think.
But your right, im beginning to think somethings went down hill, eventually everything will though i bet.

Seems like lot of stuff comes set up too lean to run good.

The knowledgable buyers seem to have a good share of concern about what Stihl is putting out as fuel systems. I'm not seeing this yet on others, but then again I don't get the opportunity see a broad cross section of brands.

lean

They do sound lean, but the pistons are not scuffing and there is a midrange jet that kicks in when under load. As far as the oiler goes, I already covered that.

I don't have a new Stihl, but my 5 year old Jonsered has the most miserly oiler in existence. It has been a constant source of irritation since the saw was new. I sometimes carry an auxilliary oilcan with me when working hard because the chain starves of oil all too easy....

http://www.atthecreation.com/

Ben,
You forgot that its a pain in the ars to go see some sthil dealer to rejet the saw so that it runs right or even worse if they take that drill to your jet to make it work. Worst of all its only a 50cc saw and it should run like a 100cc saw just because its a stihll.

A Hero in Trainning...

Ben I'll call you later..

Originally posted by BJ Walker
Ben,
You forgot that its a pain in the ars to go see some sthil dealer to rejet the saw so that it runs right or even worse if they take that drill to your jet to make it work. Worst of all its only a 50cc saw and it should run like a 100cc saw just because its a stihll.

A Hero in Trainning...

Ben I'll call you later..

ive had nothing but good luck drilling jets.
on trimmers only, only units that needed it.
if i went to big I got a bunch of jets I can put back in and start over........

Can Jim or stihltech tell me what happens when you drill out a stock fixed jet and the temp canges by 50 degrees?

Ill give you a hint. You are stuck with a saw that will not run right and do not have a way to correct it without disassembly. Not to mention the fact that with the fixed jet sytem there is no way to fine tune the carb.

jets

That is why you study the setup, drill in SMALl increments, And don't do it untill you know it is right.
I didn't just say"let's try a bigger drill!"
I got a set of number drills and tried it on my own units. Cost me a few jets, but it was worth it. No customer complaints afterwards because I figured it out BEFORE it went out the door.
Just takes time to see how it really works.

But I am strange that way. Something new is just another challenge to make it work right.

Yor not getting it Stihltech. It is impossible for one jet size to work correctly 100% of the time. You might be able to get it to run good one day and the next it runs like crap because of a big swing in temperature.
Why dont you justadmit the fixed jet sytem blows?

Ben I agree that fixed jets suck. That's not the whole story though. Stihl has made an attempt to be emmissions compliant ahead of schedule, fixed jets help in this goal. I assure you , all the technical guys at Stihl would LOVE to see fully adjustable carbs on all models, but that is not the reality of EPA involvement. I personally have more adjustable 026 carbs than I could use in 2 lifetimes. I am even trying to find one that will work on my 017 (my only fixed jet saw, which I must say runs pretty darn well in all conditions.) When the epa started regulating cars heavily people mourned the death of performance. Look around there are some very powerful cars out there that get great fuel economy. Emissions and performance have the same ultimate goal, to squeeeze the most power out of a given volume of fuel.

jets

Nope, can't. I make em work for my customers. I went out of my way to do it. Just because yours didn't, don't take it out on me.
I spent 20 years to get here by taking the extra time to get it right. My customers appreciate it, and they are the ones that count.

Maybe Art has the right idea.

I haven't bought any new saws lately. but I agree with the concensus here that saws are going downhill.

Is a safe assumption to make that any " pre- emission " type saws that we as a group of pro cutters cherish, are going to hoard these gems and just keep rebuilding them.

If this is the case are parts going to be available to keep these saws going in the coming years??

Stihl gets my vote as the best way to be unsatisfied with a new saw. It seems like they have them jetted for elevation of about 5000' way lean off the shelf the last two saws that I've gotten you couldnt richen the mix any more. seems kind of dirty to sell a guy a saw for 750+ and have it jetted to seize up doesn't it?So out of spite I just got a 335xpt less power than 020, 200 but it doesn't run too lean feels better in my hand, and besides when the tops on the ground its time to get a bigger saw sent up anyway.

Back