Saw Mill Pictures.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boleclimber

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I thought these pictures would be interesting to some. My uncle built a saw mill finishing it in 1987 and operated it until 2008. The mill continues to be in my aunts name and I run it occasionally to keep things operating correctly.

It is capable of producing 10,000 board feet of eastern white pine in an 8 hour shift but it takes a at least 3 men to do it. The generator set is an 6 cylinder diesel cat. The saw electric motor is 75hp.

In a few weeks I need to mill some logs, I will get some video for those interested.

The logging truck is a B model Mack converted to an R model. He built the truck during the 1970's and as you see ran it into the ground. During the 1980's I often rode with him while he was hauling logs to local mills.

All those mills have since shutdown but the memorys I have are wonderful.

Here is the Mack, I had thought I loaded that picture.

She is rough. Still has the old quad box for a transmission and a naturally aspirated Mack 6 cylinder. No Maxi brakes either!

The picker swing bearing has failed, the ball bearing and cage fell out years ago and he kept running it race on race.

Here are some planer pictures

If you guys like old stuff. Check out the planer engine it is an engine from a D8 cable bull dozer. It uses a electric start 2 stroke pony motor to start the D8 motor.

The coolant in it is still alcohol mixed with water. Always had to watch it closely to prevent overheating!

wow, that is beat.. To bad he turned it into an R, might be a cool truck to restore if it was still a B.. :rock:

He has a early 1970's autocar that was a dump truck. I think that would make an awesome looking log truck. It would look more like a west coast truck.

The Mack could be restored to B model with some elbow grease. I helped restore a B model with another uncle. The retoration was a money pit and took alot of elbow grease.

B models are hot as h@ll to drive, never mind slamming your knuckles off the windshield when you try to turn fast. Shifting a quad box on hill takes your arm wrapped through the steering wheel so you can place your hand on the second shift lever. Thank god eaton came out out with air shift buttons on there 8 and 12 speed transmissions.

Pretty cool man, thanks for sharing. Running that beam machine like that might get you a split sack if it kicks back one day though:)

Pretty cool man, thanks for sharing. Running that beam machine like that might get you a split sack if it kicks back one day though:)

I have never had a kick back milling and I get a better finish if I hold the saw from the front. I set the guide far down on the bar so only about 1" of bar extends below the cant I am sawing. This reduces the chances of kick back and the possibility of cutting dirt when I am on 4X4 blocking.

Sometimes I turn the slide around and pull the saw rather than push.

Ima just sayin' , I'd be nervous doing it like that. Cool videos.

Boleclimber what brand of beam machine is that?
or maybe something homemade
looks to be working well

jandc

Latest posts

Back