Need help identifying saw with old Sperber Tool Works mill

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 191000

Reaction score
I have an old Stihl saw with a Sperber Tool Works mill. The guy who gave it to me said it was an 066 and is 132cc the "largest saw they ever built" and that they don't make it anymore. The only number I can find is the serial "8281786". One site suggests that means it was built around 1980 in Germany.

The bar with the mill is 34" or so. The other bar is 40in. The saw ran 5 years ago, but hasn't been started since. How do I identify this think and what is this collection of tired tools worth?

IMG_2310.jpgIMG_2314.jpgIMG_2319.jpgIMG_2321.jpgIMG_2322.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2318.jpg
    IMG_2318.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
It's worth $20, I'll do you a favor and take it off your hands. In all seriousness, it's either an 070 or 090 and if the guy was right it's an 090. As for value, that's purely subjective and I'm not going to throw out a guess.

Me smells a smelly skunk in da works
Not even sure what you are trying to say here. On vacation so I haven't had a chance to reply to your PM. From Woodslasher's suggestions, I see it is likely an 090 which matches the description of what I was told. I used it once to slab up some cherry and made a nice cherry but that thing is _heavy_ and loud as a banshee so I never used it again.

Not tree work. Is that the skunk comment?
No skunks lol, just wondering because the 090 is a rare beast ,and certainly wouldn't usually pop up if you weren't into some sort of tree/lumber work.
Honestly I would hang on to that saw if I was doing tree work. I've stumped a few huge trees with an 090 clone I built and that saw just loves it! Unless the stump is 7' DBH I doubt you'd need wedges , as it'll keep right on pulling.
You can make your money back on that thing by saving yourself some serious stump grinding.

Back