Saw question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crappiemiser

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I currently have a Stihl 028 AV super wood boss that was given to me from my uncle and it really does do what I need. However, lately it's been acting like there is bad gas in it and I know there isn't. I replaced the fuel filter and changed the gas. It starts on the 1st or 2nd pull and will rev up fine but when I try to put it under load it will act like it wants to die. I am not sure if it's just me or not but when I move the saw around it seems to help?? My next guess is the carb and I will clean it tonight and see if this resolves anything. If I were to replace it would a ms 260 fit the bill? I see lots of good reviews on that saw and wouldn't mind if it was a little lighter. Thanks!

Could be an air leak or it could be low on compression also. Replacing the fuel line is a good idea. I would pull the muffler and take a look at the piston and bore to see if there's any scoring. A compression test might be in order.

IMHO the 028 is getting to be a bit old to put much money into unless you have an emotional attachment to it. If it needed much more than a carb rebuild, fuel line, or maybe new rings I would definitely think about another saw. The 260 is kind of the gold standard of 50cc saws but it is getting a bit long in the tooth also. there are lots of saws out there in the 50cc range that would be significantly lighter and more powerful than what you have.

Thanks for the replies. I'll look into the fuel line and get a compression test. Any recommendations on new 50 CC saws? Wouldn't mind getting a lighter saw.

Thanks for the suggestions. It seems the 346xp is a popular saw but it doesn't look the are made anymore. Am I missing something? Did it change model#s.

Thanks for the suggestions. It seems the 346xp is a popular saw but it doesn't look the are made anymore. Am I missing something? Did it change model#s.
2012 was the last year, I have three 346s' that get used regularly and a few more in parts. Best saw ever made!

The 550xp replaced 346xp.

The 545 is basically the same saw as a 550xp minus a few small details and less money.

A lot of those 028 had problems with the point and condenser going bad. they would run until they got hot and then start shutting off. The points and condensers are no longer available for those saws. I recently bought a replacement, electronic ignition coil and put in a 028wb. http://www.lilredbarn.net/product-p/0000-400-1300.htm. This is a direct bolt in with no flywheel changes or any of that other junk necessary to convert a points saw to electronic ignition. Saw cranked first pull. Took about 15 min to install and made a otherwise junk saw into a good productive firewood saw.

OP said it was a Super. Pretty sure all those electronic ignition. Could be an air leak seals. Start with fuel line filter and carb kit though. Probably Walbro, K 10 Wat for full or D 10 Wat diaphragm. There are several good 028 threads. Solid saws. Let me know if it needs a new home. Ed

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Not really a stihl fan. My saw was a 028 wb and had points ignition. I was wondering what that electronic coil was originally intended to be used with. Could it be the coil I used is actually a 028 super coil? Anyways, the conversion from points to electronic was super easy and from what I have read the same coil will work on a variety of different stihl saws.

Latest posts

Back