Saw shop requirements

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive turned wrenches on everything from a Diesel Bobcat to a Weedeater brand hedge trimmer. Only problem on the bobcat was space...when working on the engines...there is none!

That is a understatement :D Had a BobCat 773 come in last week, broken Atl bracket, taking it apart was the easy part. Getting the right part, They really don't want to sell parts. The dealer wants the repair, @ 95 dollars an hour. I ended up having to take the broken one down to them to match it up even after the owner had gone down the day before.
And now, that the company has been sold to the Koreans, that little jap Kubota diesel will get replaced with a Hundai <sp>?

Granted small engine repair does not require computer knowledge for the most part.

Not yet:dizzy: 30 years ago when I started turning a wrench, I had to deal with points and condensers, today the engine have electronic fuel injection
and diodes and all kinds of safeties and wiring that you need a wiring diagram to follow to find a problem. The Green industry is maybe 10 years behind the automotive industry. The day will come when you need a OBD scanner and each engine manufacture will have their own set of codes, so you will have to but the chipset for that engine manufacture:monkey:

I can pass any drug test too, but that is not the point. It is having to
prove my innocence that kind of rubs me wrong.

Not too many AS members wanted to tell old jail stories eh?

BTW, to be a good small engine tech, it takes the availability of some
expensive tools, which most shops will not be willing to buy.

Red, do you or your shop have any way to cut valves or seats?
If you have ring expanders, compressors, you should at least have a
minimal set of seat cutters.
I went to a jail once it was an interesting tour. Wouldn't want to go involuntarily tho. Not all that hard to stay out of jail in MHO. But thats just me. I get random drug tests because I work in a safety sensitive job not reallya bother even tho it is a govmnt mandate. Lots a places hire with out drug tests. Not a constitutional issue by private employers as a condition of employment.

You all wanna talk about urine tests, and BAC tests?

I work for a Class 1 Railroad, and we are so heavily regulated by every agency that can get their fingers into the pie it is astounding. In addition I posess a CDL that in and of itself subjects me to Government oversight.

Between the Surface Transportation Board, the Interstate Commerce Commission, the Federal Railroad Administration, the Department of Transportation, various Public Utility Commissions, and my employer themselves, I rarely get to pee into a toilet at work, always a cup there someone needs filled.

Do I like it- NO
Do I comply- YES

I made the choice to work there, and the money is way too sweet to walk away from for the sole reason that I would like to smoke weed.

And yes I have been to jail. I availed myself of a program to educate myself, gained valuable work experience by staying the course working my way up through progressively higher paying jobs, and now my past is not even a factor except for people who will arbitrarily classify me as a no goodnik solely on the fact that I have been to jail.

The contents of the book sometimes completely contradict what the cover reveals to you, but then again some already know this;)

Chuck

Had one of those Hondas come in during the spring for the annual check up
Only complaint was that it was not moving as well as it did when it was new.
The cable had sliped down just alittle, just enough to give it a problem, maybe a 1/4 inch. Don't jinks me on these :D

I don't remember who makes the Vangard for Briggs, think it was Honda, but they were/are imports. Had a few rebuilds a few years back on some Kohlers that if I remember right where on Billy Goat leaf loaders. ON the inside of the crank case was Yamaha:D Now if the day comes and Briggs starts biulding motorcycles, I'll give them a second look:ices_rofl:

The Vanguards are made by Diahtsu (mitsubishi heavy).

Im totally impressed by them, I mean, They are smoother than a Kohler, Cheaper than a Kawasaki, and with little effort can outlive both. But it's a Briggs, and people look at briggs different.

I tell you right now, The Kohler Courage will be the death blow to the kohler Engine lineup. Phenolic Cam gears and cam shafts, oddball crankcase setup...Ive seen a handful break, but only the singles. One came into my buds shop that the dipstick broke off in the block and it had ot be dismantled to get at it. He found that the teeth on the cam gears were failing and were scattered in the oil sump, there was just enough teeth left to keep it in time. Kohler was VERY eager to get that engine back for inspection.

I still like the old Kohler K and M series engines, Im more fluent in them than I am the new Command engines...

Here's my stash...

JD 316
Wheel Horse 416-H
Wheel Horse 310-8
Wheel Horse 702 (1962)
Cub Cadet 1200
JD 110-H (1967)
Wheel Horse C-105 (Have a 20hp Kohler K532QS to drop in)
Heckendorn 3 wheel rider
Mitsubishi MT372 Diesel

I likes me some old Garden Tractors!

If you like Ive got pics.

You all wanna talk about urine tests, and BAC tests?

I work for a Class 1 Railroad, and we are so heavily regulated by every agency that can get their fingers into the pie it is astounding. In addition I posess a CDL that in and of itself subjects me to Government oversight.

Between the Surface Transportation Board, the Interstate Commerce Commission, the Federal Railroad Administration, the Department of Transportation, various Public Utility Commissions, and my employer themselves, I rarely get to pee into a toilet at work, always a cup there someone needs filled.

Do I like it- NO
Do I comply- YES

I made the choice to work there, and the money is way too sweet to walk away from for the sole reason that I would like to smoke weed.

And yes I have been to jail. I availed myself of a program to educate myself, gained valuable work experience by staying the course working my way up through progressively higher paying jobs, and now my past is not even a factor except for people who will arbitrarily classify me as a no goodnik solely on the fact that I have been to jail.

The contents of the book sometimes completely contradict what the cover reveals to you, but then again some already know this;)

Chuck
Love to see people realize their is a better way. I don't judge some one for being in jail its for being a frequent visitor. 50 year old chronic crimminal lock em up throw away the key thell never figure it out.
I am a bit harsh to some but watching first hand people making life miserable for those around them see ya.

I'll move things along and keep them light. What about an 18 horse single cylinder from a Simplicity tractor, an old one, it was rebuilt but now the tranny is going, a new machine is coming. Is this a good engine for a log splitter or winch?

I'll move things along and keep them light. What about an 18 horse single cylinder from a Simplicity tractor, an old one, it was rebuilt but now the tranny is going, a new machine is coming. Is this a good engine for a log splitter or winch?

Probably a Briggs Single cylinder, Cast Iron block?

Good engines, vibrated terrible.

If you've got a splitter that you have on a trailor that needs an engine for the pump, by all means go for it. They are VERY heavy.

The Vanguards are made by Diahtsu (mitsubishi heavy).
Im totally impressed by them, I mean, They are smoother than a Kohler, Cheaper than a Kawasaki, and with little effort can outlive both. But it's a Briggs, and people look at briggs different.
I tell you right now, The Kohler Courage will be the death blow to the kohler Engine lineup.

Well, I thought that Briggs would go under back in the 80s. Back then the Japanese where invading, now it's the Koreans and Chinese...oh yea, where are Stihl saws made :hmm3grin2orange:

Well, I thought that Briggs would go under back in the 80s. Back then the Japanese where invading, now it's the Koreans and Chinese...oh yea, where are Stihl saws made :hmm3grin2orange:

Eh, Briggs always had their ACE in the hole, the 13 series Tiller/Splitter/Gokart/utility engine.

As far as Im concerned, Briggs only ever made one really crappy engine, and thats the 11hp "400cc" Vertical shaft model. Ongoing unstoppable base gasket oil leaks, crappy carburetor, its HEAVY for only 11hp too.

Ive got a motor in my shop that a guy gave me, had a burnt up pressure washer on it. 22series 10hp Horizontal shaft. It had sat outside with no plug in it, and had a case full of water, and was seized up TIGHT!

I pulled it apart, knocked the slug loose and slid it out, ran a hone down the bore, new rings on the piston, and it actually ran great, its a mean little sucker. Got to find something to put it on:laugh:

I cant knock to Chinese too much, they got a homerun with the Honda GX clones, they hold up well, even in punishing racing conditions.:D

Eh, Briggs always had their ACE in the hole, the 13 series Tiller/Splitter/Gokart/utility engine.

As far as Im concerned, Briggs only ever made one really crappy engine, and thats the 11hp "400cc" Vertical shaft model. Ongoing unstoppable base gasket oil leaks, crappy carburetor, its HEAVY for only 11hp too.

22series 10hp Horizontal shaft.

I cant knock to Chinese too much, they got a homerun with the Honda GX clones, they hold up well, even in punishing racing conditions.:D

If I remember right, the 13 series was a 8 hp ? I think I had one on my mini
bike As my youngest would say, Back in the day:) That 400 cc engine was what got Briggs in the :censored: can back in the day
My first rebuild was on I think a 23 series, 12 hp that was on a 85 inch Locke. All cast iron, what a bear, it was more then 12 years old before it needed a overhaul:)

If I remember right, the 13 series was a 8 hp ? I think I had one on my mini
bike As my youngest would say, Back in the day:) That 400 cc engine was what got Briggs in the :censored: can back in the day
My first rebuild was on I think a 23 series, 12 hp that was on a 85 inch Locke. All cast iron, what a bear, it was more then 12 years old before it needed a overhaul:)

13 series = 5hp H-shaft L-head
19 series = 8hp H-shaft L-head
22 series = 10hp H-shaft L-head

An All Cast Iron 12hp would have been a 27 series I think?

I know my 10hp Iron block is a 24 series.

Back