Saw shopping

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I’m anxiously waiting for the guys to get my new Husqvarna 550 xp mark II ready for me. I am getting it in a 16” bar and will later purchase a 20” sugi bar for the occasional time I need a longer or second bar. It’ll only be the second Husky I’ve ever owned other than the 359 I bought off this same shop 13 years ago.
i loved my Stihl 261cm but decided to try something different this time and this shop has amazing customer service.
there is a 555 sitting right beside my 550 that was tempting.

Attachments

• 220954CB-F32E-4C76-B5E5-5D63F3CA8ADF.jpeg
    220954CB-F32E-4C76-B5E5-5D63F3CA8ADF.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 17
Didnt makita use 1 piston ring?

Sent while firmly grasping my Redline lubed Ram [emoji231]🛻

Dean O- Thanks for posting that arrival of 400,s. Did any Lite bars show up with them ? tia Barry

Well I’m anxiously waiting for the guys to get my new Husqvarna 550 xp mark II ready for me. I am getting it in a 16” bar and will later purchase a 20” sugi bar for the occasional time I need a longer or second bar. It’ll only be the second Husky I’ve ever owned other than the 359 I bought off this same shop 13 years ago.
i loved my Stihl 261cm but decided to try something different this time and this shop has amazing customer service.
there is a 555 sitting right beside my 550 that was tempting.
Great saw. My Dad switched his to 3/8 chain, & modified the muffler. It really is a cool saw to run. Muffler mod does wake it up quite a bit, plus it gets rid of some of the heat.
Wouldn't be my first saw to grab for felling or large bucking, but for anything else, its a great, fun, well built saw.

Great saw. My Dad switched his to 3/8 chain, & modified the muffler. It really is a cool saw to run. Muffler mod does wake it up quite a bit, plus it gets rid of some of the heat.
Wouldn't be my first saw to grab for felling or large bucking, but for anything else, its a great, fun, well built saw.
Thanks! Will definitely be modding it ASAP.

550s are great. Mine got converted to 3/8 right away and pulls an 18“ bar great. Love how slim it is, if we need to climb with a rear handle its the saw I grab too
Dads running 3/8 058 72 on his. No to hijack the thread but if the OP is going to switch to 3/8 maybe someone can chime in with what they're using for a bar. 3/8 husky small mount seems to be a harder thing to find. He's running a Oregon Versa Cut aluminum core bar right now, but we've been less than pleased. Only other thing we've found has been a Power match so far.

I need a professional saw in the 60cc class. I always buy professional quality tools only.
My grandparents are from Sweden, so I started out with a Jonsered CS2250. It worked fine until I ran my buddies Stihl MS261. Same size saw but it seemed to cut twice as fast and the anti-vibration system was so much better I couldn't believe it. I decided to keep the Jonsered as a "loaner saw" and I bought a Stihl MS361 to have a bigger saw than my buddy. The MS361 had a bit more grunt, but the MS261 was faster cutting and didn't leave as tired, so I sold it and bought a Jonsered 2071. That was a very nice saw, but heavy and just lacked the quality compared to the Stihl pro saws.
I now have an MS 261 and an MS 461 (plus an MS 151, MS 201). I love them all and use saws all day, everyday during the season. If I had to pick only one saw, it would absolutely be the MS 261. The power to rate ration, balance and speed are better than they should be. I usually run my MS 261 with a lightweight Tsumura 16" bar. I have a 20" bar that I may have used once. I love how fast it is with a 16" bar. If I need a bigger bar, I just use the MS461 with a lightweight 25" bar. I know a lot of guys love their Huskies, but if I go orange I only go Stihl. The Jonsereds now are just red Husqvarnas and despite my Swedish roots, Stihl pro saws are second to none. I don't know much about the new MS 400, but the specs look like it will be an dandy saw, but I love the lighter weight, perfect balance and the speed of the MS 261... Personally I now have 9 Stihl saws. I don't "need" any more saws, but I kind of have a hankering to buy a new Stihl MS 500i, but I know the MS 261 will still be my favorite and would be my choice if I were to be a one saw guy.

My grandparents are from Sweden, so I started out with a Jonsered CS2250. It worked fine until I ran my buddies Stihl MS261. Same size saw but it seemed to cut twice as fast and the anti-vibration system was so much better I couldn't believe it. I decided to keep the Jonsered as a "loaner saw" and I bought a Stihl MS361 to have a bigger saw than my buddy. The MS361 had a bit more grunt, but the MS261 was faster cutting and didn't leave as tired, so I sold it and bought a Jonsered 2071. That was a very nice saw, but heavy and just lacked the quality compared to the Stihl pro saws.
I now have an MS 261 and an MS 461 (plus an MS 151, MS 201). I love them all and use saws all day, everyday during the season. If I had to pick only one saw, it would absolutely be the MS 261. The power to rate ration, balance and speed are better than they should be. I usually run my MS 261 with a lightweight Tsumura 16" bar. I have a 20" bar that I may have used once. I love how fast it is with a 16" bar. If I need a bigger bar, I just use the MS461 with a lightweight 25" bar. I know a lot of guys love their Huskies, but if I go orange I only go Stihl. The Jonsereds now are just red Husqvarnas and despite my Swedish roots, Stihl pro saws are second to none. I don't know much about the new MS 400, but the specs look like it will be an dandy saw, but I love the lighter weight, perfect balance and the speed of the MS 261... Personally I now have 9 Stihl saws. I don't "need" any more saws, but I kind of have a hankering to buy a new Stihl MS 500i, but I know the MS 261 will still be my favorite and would be my choice if I were to be a one saw guy.
The 261 is definitely one fine saw. I absolutely loved mine and was surprised how well it cut for a 50cc saw. I very well may regret my decision buying the 550 instead of another 261. But I’m one of those guys who likes to try different things. Ya don’t know if ya don’t try!

I can only hope this Husqvarna starts as easy and runs as well as the 261 it’s replacing. The 261 was the easiest starting and best running saw I’ve ever owned. I may own another again some day. I think I’ll save my pennies for a 500i next.

My 562 was my most reliable saw. Should never have sold it. Dont be afraid of the 550

All saws have their own issues.

Sent while firmly grasping my Redline lubed Ram [emoji231]🛻

Back