Saw stolen

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've started putting them in the cab a lot more now. I don't like doing that with the baby in there smelling saw gas.

Imagine if they grew up with parents that give a crap about where they are, who they are with, and what they are doing. More than a few people have grown up with less than a little, and haven't resorted to peddling dope, gang membership/warfare, getting whatever they "need" from somebody else whether cheating them or stealing from them. The victims are the people who pay for their stuff and don't get to use it, not the ones who are stealing, poisoning, and killing. I guess I would decide to get the heck away from there, not see how good I could make it for myself by making it harder for someone else.

That was precisely my point...they likely didn't grow up with parents at all hardly. Mothers who are prostitutes, druggies or just welfare ornaments sitting on the couch...fathers who can hardly be identified as the sperm donor, much less as any sort of influence on the child. If they're lucky, a kindly grandmother may do the best she can to instill some values, but we're talking 3rd and 4th generation in public housing, scratching by on the dole, getting whatever extra they can. You're talking about the exception to the rule. There's a reason people make much over someone who has triumphed over that sort of situation and bootstrapped themselves out of the ghetto. You don't think people talk about Clinton growing up how he did for the prestige of it, ya? His story isn't even all that bad. I would say "more than a few" is a rather sunny-day estimate of success stories. Nearly all run afoul of the law, experience brutal conditions and risk death by walking outside. "More than a few" die young. Look up "Lester Street Massacre" in Memphis. You'll be appalled. Not saying they aren't responsible, but I think they deserve mercy if they're only stealing.

It's not so different from early immigrant kids, except people/victims are a little nicer about it these days. Foremost, what YOU would do has little to nothing to do with their thought process. The phrase "I gotta get mine." is their John 3:16. They don't feel bad for you (they didn't kill you after all), they don't worry about larger social issues, and are certainly very rarely to be considered great thinkers of our times...like I said, they're scratching by like animals, and 3 hots and a cot in the joint ain't the worst thing that's likely to ever happen to 'em.

Your probably feeling a bit like Ned Beatty. Get your self a couple of those game cameras that use an ifra-red flash. They are pretty much all digital, so you don't have to mess with film. Nice to have some proof, just in case you might need to......

Hang 'em High

I have been thinking about the camera thing for a while. And one could even take a snap shot of the person while they confronted them, but would need to be careful they didn't get suddenly shot while doing it.

I should look into the camera thing for my shop and storage buildings. At least you would know who didn't take any stolen stuff.

Did you file a police report? I would do it if for no other reason than to C.Y.A. for possible future run-in's.

Who knows maybe they have reports of other stuff in the area missing, and maybe you can find the area that guy frequents. Also if they bust someone and find a saw at least they could call you to see if you can identify it.

Good luck, and I hope you can get your saw back. You cant have anything nice anymore without someone trying to take it.

:agree2: It should be done, even if the hope is slim!

Good luck Rope!

Rope, If loosing that saw is gonna hurt you bad let me know. I got a 372 I ain't using too much this winter. I'll box it up and send it down your way till you get back on your feet.

Faith, hope and Charity. All comin at ya from NJ

A

That is one hell of an offer!!

Your a good man!!

And no doubt a Ford driver a Dallas Cowboys fan and a Stihl running owner.

Keep up the good fight.

Kevin

I have made it a rule that if I catch someone so much as turning around in my drive to get there plate number if I can. That way if something comes up missing later I can go hunting.

That was precisely my point...they likely didn't grow up with parents at all hardly. Mothers who are prostitutes, druggies or just welfare ornaments sitting on the couch...fathers who can hardly be identified as the sperm donor, much less as any sort of influence on the child. If they're lucky, a kindly grandmother may do the best she can to instill some values, but we're talking 3rd and 4th generation in public housing, scratching by on the dole, getting whatever extra they can. You're talking about the exception to the rule. There's a reason people make much over someone who has triumphed over that sort of situation and bootstrapped themselves out of the ghetto. You don't think people talk about Clinton growing up how he did for the prestige of it, ya? His story isn't even all that bad. I would say "more than a few" is a rather sunny-day estimate of success stories. Nearly all run afoul of the law, experience brutal conditions and risk death by walking outside. "More than a few" die young. Look up "Lester Street Massacre" in Memphis. You'll be appalled. Not saying they aren't responsible, but I think they deserve mercy if they're only stealing.

It's not so different from early immigrant kids, except people/victims are a little nicer about it these days. Foremost, what YOU would do has little to nothing to do with their thought process. The phrase "I gotta get mine." is their John 3:16. They don't feel bad for you (they didn't kill you after all), they don't worry about larger social issues, and are certainly very rarely to be considered great thinkers of our times...like I said, they're scratching by like animals, and 3 hots and a cot in the joint ain't the worst thing that's likely to ever happen to 'em.

The stories I've heard told by grandparents about their parents and grandparents didn't mention stealing and killing. John 3:16 was the John 3:16 you learned along the way, they went to school (walked, didn't jack the neighbors horse or buggy), they went to church, and to town every week. A lot of times they didn't come home with any more than a memory of being there, and a few things bought with the cream and/or egg money for the kitchen or barn. They also went to work. Handouts were something to be avoided. This was how it was here, but in other places like Chicago, New York and even Minneapolis, there were gangs, but they conducted business like businessmen, just stricter about the collections. The problem is the collecting of the never do wells in the projects and/or section 8 housing and calling it welfare, or assistance, and the continuation of the nanny state. These people need to improve things for themselves or they never will appreciate what they get. And as long as they are called victims, they will continue to victimize. I see it as a problem of motivation, I get the feeling you see it as a problem of location. What I am saying is that while people like you describe existed and will always exist, I don't see the government solving any of their problems. Nor should it, as the people should solve their own. Choose life, not an existence.

not exactly

I don't see it as a location issue, and don't let Gramps kid you...unsupervised children were stealing in the streets of Boston 200 years ago, and they're doing it today. Location is nothing compared to the fine examples kids see every day. Environment more so than location. If there are parents around to set them straight, great. Those are the people you're talking about who grow up to have the power (mentally) and properly aligned expectations from life to choose the high road. And like it or not (I don't), government is doing what it's doing...I'm just saying it's a helluva thing to kill a man. Especially over a d**n chainsaw. No matter how worthless a turd he may be.

Well here we go aclu basic thought process, the truth is; I had it just as hard as any one some of it my own doing some being smashed out by the big corporate privileged and nepotism. I was stuck in the victim role for a period a couple years back and whined about it fierce. I am still in the muck cashed in my retirement to try and dodge failing and still don't know how its going to play out. I do know I ain't going to whine if I can help it, it does no good to my thought process to do so. I know things are screwed up ,I also know I can't control it so I am merely going to plug along and hope a small injury don't have me under a bridge but if it does I have already lived it before, it just hurts more when you've came so far only to lose. I will say, I would steal to eat or not so much me, as; for my family but rustling a cow or stealing groceries is a bit different than a mans tools. I was not crippled by this event and I will come out of the muck God willing in a few years, be triumphant over my debts. I have lost many many thousands of dollars in the last several years but I am still alive and still married and so far still have my home and tools, though things look bad at times! I had to quit worrying as much as possible when I found out my blood pressure is off the chart and I have scary stuff in my abdomen that I try to play off as getting older because I can't do anything about it. I am alive my wife still loves me, my grand babies still love me , I can still work, I can still hunt, I have not went too hungry so lifes pretty good. I have had points in my life that food was what ever you caught and never dreamed I would be a owner of even a struggling business. I have decided to try to focus on the positives and keep faith in my provider and my abilities though they may be challenged to some degree.

Well here we go aclu basic thought process, the truth is; I had it just as hard as any one some of it my own doing some being smashed out by the big corporate privileged and nepotism. I was stuck in the victim role for a period a couple years back and whined about it fierce. I am still in the muck cashed in my retirement to try and dodge failing and still don't know how its going to play out. I do know I ain't going to whine if I can help it, it does no good to my thought process to do so. I know things are screwed up ,I also know I can't control it so I am merely going to plug along and hope a small injury don't have me under a bridge but if it does I have already lived it before, it just hurts more when you've came so far only to lose. I will say, I would steal to eat or not so much me, as; for my family but rustling a cow or stealing groceries is a bit different than a mans tools. I was not crippled by this event and I will come out of the muck God willing in a few years, be triumphant over my debts. I have lost many many thousands of dollars in the last several years but I am still alive and still married and so far still have my home and tools, though things look bad at times! I had to quit worrying as much as possible when I found out my blood pressure is off the chart and I have scary stuff in my abdomen that I try to play off as getting older because I can't do anything about it. I am alive my wife still loves me, my grand babies still love me , I can still work, I can still hunt, I have not went too hungry so lifes pretty good. I have had points in my life that food was what ever you caught and never dreamed I would be a owner of even a struggling business. I have decided to try to focus on the positives and keep faith in my provider and my abilities though they may be challenged to some degree.

It is an attitude like that that made people build this country into the greatest on earth...keep at it Rope...

You're a survivor Rope, and I'd be willing to bet that you'll come out of all these difficulties the clear winner.

Rope?

Man, like I said before, I'm sorry you lost a saw. My commentary is directed toward some of the posts about killing and maiming people over a saw. Just a saw, they make 'em every day. No, I don't want mine stolen either, and ridin' me over into the ultra-liberal camp over it is a bit far. I'm not sure how truly familiar you are with the ACLU, but I'm not a big fan if theirs. I'm a big fan of your obvious religious leanings though, especially the New Testament stuff that doesn't have us invoking the name of God to condone stoning people and cutting off their hands and putting out their eyes and other Draconian, non-proportional responses like that. Heck yeah, I'd be mad! But ... blessed are the merciful, right?

(BTW, I see that good ol' fashioned azz-whuppin you and others have mentioned as both proportional AND merciful...like you said, it might convince someone that being on the wrong side of things ain't for them after all. Worked for you. Dude could've shot you those many years ago...over a woman...who I'm sure was a willing participant, and ALSO not worth killing over.)

Man, like I said before, I'm sorry you lost a saw. My commentary is directed toward some of the posts about killing and maiming people over a saw. Just a saw, they make 'em every day. No, I don't want mine stolen either, and ridin' me over into the ultra-liberal camp over it is a bit far. I'm not sure how truly familiar you are with the ACLU, but I'm not a big fan if theirs. I'm a big fan of your obvious religious leanings though, especially the New Testament stuff that doesn't have us invoking the name of God to condone stoning people and cutting off their hands and putting out their eyes and other Draconian, non-proportional responses like that. Heck yeah, I'd be mad! But ... blessed are the merciful, right?

(BTW, I see that good ol' fashioned azz-whuppin you and others have mentioned as both proportional AND merciful...like you said, it might convince someone that being on the wrong side of things ain't for them after all. Worked for you. Dude could've shot you those many years ago...over a woman...who I'm sure was a willing participant, and ALSO not worth killing over.)

That sounds a bit more thought out and truthful. I don't really want him dead now but in the moment and depending on circumstances the thought does cross the mind. Truth is if I was to step back and think a bit after catching him I might be inclined to detain him and work him three days hard then tell him your free to go and there is the saw you now earned:cheers:

It did not help the fact that merely a few weeks back I went to the mountains to hunt and found my stand missing, so; as you can see, the costs of the candy laws are paid by law abiding or mostly citizens. It does not take much to make ropey happy really and though I relish the thought of a thief getting his hand cut off, I really relish the thought of detouring the behavior greater. In a society that is absent of true punishment anarchy prevails. Maybe if they made the perpetrators work for the victim to pay restitution a better result may be reality:confused: I don't know,its just the fact that the prisons do not seem to work and crime is the fastest growing business these days!

Last edited:
Honor lies in honest toil

I knew we wuz peoples... Now you're back to sounding like a guy I'd buy a beer and console over a missing saw! :cheers:
And I agree, in the heat of the moment, ya just wanna kick the ever-livin' piddle out of a thief when you find your window broken or your stuff missing...and then you realize it's just another punch to roll with.

work for the victim?!?!?

Dear Lord...if only...that's about the only way I could see myself making a true difference... I don't know law or criminology or psychology, but I sure know how to work the stuffin' out of ANYBODY that ain't used to it. Sadly, most would prefer the beating. Rep for that idea, still.

Last edited:
I knew we wuz peoples... Now you're back to sounding like a guy I'd buy a beer and console over a missing saw! :cheers:
And I agree, in the heat of the moment, ya just wanna kick the ever-livin' piddle out of a thief when you find your window broken or your stuff missing...and then you realize it's just another punch to roll with.

Yeah but these moments luckily so far the perpetrator was not caught in. In other wards I learned long ago by my pop if you get in a fight especially over honorable reasons do so with all your might. I wish I was able to keep my calm more but I just lose it. It has been a long time since I have spilled blood and I really would rather it be longer. I think my fear over what I would do is what bothers me!

Rope, sorry about your loss. Did you report it? What county are you in? I'm in Boone County and work for the Sheriff's Dept. here. I work all of the chainsaw and tool thefts in our county because my Captain knows I'm a nut for saws. If you have a picture of that saw you can send me I can guarantee I will keep an eye out for it over here.

A word of advise on catching the thief: if he gets caught and locked up for two or three days he's found a place to sleep and food to eat for free. He's used to it and doesn't mind it too much. If YOU get caught roughing him up those same two or three days in jail are miserable. The food is bad, the bed is hard and the people there smell really bad.

I hope the county you live in has good law enforcement who take their job seriously. I wish I could tell you that all cops approach their job with professionalism and sincerity, but you know otherwise. Some of us still believe we are actually working FOR the citizens who pay our salaries and raise our children to remember the basics: God, family and country.

I would love to catch this guy for you or at least be able to get your saw back. If you have pics or can send me a full description of the saw I'll try to help out. You can reach me at [email protected]

I don't see it as a location issue, and don't let Gramps kid you...unsupervised children were stealing in the streets of Boston 200 years ago, and they're doing it today. Location is nothing compared to the fine examples kids see every day. Environment more so than location. If there are parents around to set them straight, great. Those are the people you're talking about who grow up to have the power (mentally) and properly aligned expectations from life to choose the high road. And like it or not (I don't), government is doing what it's doing...I'm just saying it's a helluva thing to kill a man. Especially over a d**n chainsaw. No matter how worthless a turd he may be.

Environment is a much better word than location. Yes, 200 years ago kids stole. For the most part they did it to eat. Most of the criminals then as now didn't/don't come from gangs or some evil master plan, they just don't believe they will be caught because they have gotten away with it before. Now these vermin steal (or worse) to smoke it up or shoot up or to pass some a$$nine test to be in a gang. If they grew up in that environment, then they should be familiar enough with it to see it doesn't work real well. The definition of stupidity is repeating the same failure expecting a different outcome. Expecting to steal or cheat or shoot your way out of poverty is a corrupted thought process. I am not taking the chance they won't shoot me or be back after their court experience/punishment (hah-most wouldn't get the three meals and a cot, they'd walk and be expected to check in with their parole officer), and don't think I wouldn't feel bad about plinking the thieves with a thunder stick or baseball bat; but I don't believe letting them go if I had the shot would change their behavior or keep my family safe, either. If you dumb enough to steal, you dumb enough to be shot. If you are humble enough to ask for help, I should be, and when I can be, expected to help. Take my livelihood away, and I won't be able to help myself much less others.

Back