Saw submerged in muddy water

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all the replies!!! It was sitting on top an of empty barrel in a shed and when the water came in, the barrel fell over and the 026 went for a swim. I pulled the jug and was amazed how much silt was in the wrist pin bearing, it sat for a week and the surface rust/ silt on the crank bearings was so bad it was hard to spin. Soaked in wd-40 (water displacement formula #40) and viola, like a new saw, the bearings broke free and spins easy like it should. The seals only have 10 hours or so on them so I will pressure & vacuum test it first before I re-assemble. I cleaned everything and flushed the crank with wd-40 multiple times.

OK is it ok to ultrasonic clean the piston and rings?? I did and seems fine, Carb was full of water. Muffler will get some new vht paint while I got her apart.

I rode dirt bikes when I was younger and remember my buddy's IT-175 shooting water out the exhaust after he went too deep and it seemed fine after wards, the thing is, all that water was fitered first before it went thru the engine, this saw had silt in thru the exhaust and no filter.

Maybe a little too careful with the cleaning, but a friend gave me the saw and I see him a lot so I want to take care of it. He has ties to the big wigs at stihl so I like to butter his bread.

Brad do you have a picture of that fancy stihl seal puller so I can show it to a machinist and we can copy it??? or a link to the dimensions??

That 026 has those seals recessed and they are hard to pull with my hammer and chisel:hmm3grin2orange:

Even that lisle type puller is tough to get in to those seals.

I really want to save this saw. Maybe I will get my dealer to pull the seals, he is always more than fair. So pull the seals, flush flush flush, then new seals.

The water in the shed was 20" deep, 1/2" lower than the exhaust on my 30hp kohler 60" zero turn:msp_rolleyes: thank god.

Water in the basement 6" for 2 hours then the sumps caught up, basement is fine now.

Brad do you have a picture of that fancy stihl seal puller so I can show it to a machinist and we can copy it??? or a link to the dimensions??

That 026 has those seals recessed and they are hard to pull with my hammer and chisel:hmm3grin2orange:

I really want to save this saw. Maybe I will get my dealer to pull the seals, he is always more than fair. So pull the seals, flush flush flush, then new seals.

The water in the shed was 20" deep, 1/2" lower than the exhaust on my 30hp kohler 60" zero turn:msp_rolleyes: thank god.

Water in the basement 6" for 2 hours then the sumps caught up, basement is fine now.

Then the sumps caught up... sumps??? The big river spill her banks again, or did a water main running under your basement break?

There might be pics somewhere in my chainsaw galleries, but I have no idea which one. I would think that duplicating it would be rather difficult. It comes with multiple sets of "jaws". You're in Ohio. Come on down and use mine:clap:

I have creek that is 150 feet from my front door and when the county north of me got 5" of rain in about 2 hours the water rose 20" higher than it ever has in 13 years!!!! Was wild as heck, that creek that I can normally walk in sounded like a freight train screaming through the woods snapping 20" trees like tiny sticks!!!.. and in the dark at midnight to boot. Water came to my garage door. Moved some of my 24" diameter osage orange milling logs from my backyard to my driveway. No water pipe, that is easy to shut off!!! Mother Nature was kikin my hi knee that night. Lots of extra work for me clearing fence and fixing my driveway and my shed. No one got hurt and all the pets are fine, just a big muddy mess, oh and by the way my compost pile that I have been working on for a year is headed south..

Thanks Brad, I looked at all you get in that puller kit, and I may check and see if my dealer can get me one because would hard to copy all those jaw types.

Did you know there is a gas station in liberty indiana that sells e-free gas??? If yer comin down to cincy to see yer friends let me know. I can also get 100LL but I know you do not like it much, I mix 50:50 e-free and 100LL.

Pete

Did you know there is a gas station in liberty indiana that sells e-free gas??? If yer comin down to cincy to see yer friends let me know. I can also get 100LL but I know you do not like it much, I mix 50:50 e-free and 100LL.

Pete

OneOldBanjo told us about that place, but I haven't been there yet. I bought 10 gallons TN last fall that I'm still using. Where do you live? BTW, I'm in Cincy everyday. I work downtown.

The worst thing you can do to an engine that went for a swim is to "let it dry out in a warm place". Rust won't start without O2 present. Heat accellerates the process. It starts as soon it comes out of the water. If not torn down, flush it out good with cold clean water and empty out as much as possible then follow with wd40 or the like and get it running as soon as possible. Time is your enemy when these things happen.

Pete[/QUOTE]

WARNING ! DANGER, ROY ROBINSON !! If you guys find yourselves in Liberty, IN.,,and you hear banjo music and the sound of sqeeling pigs !! Get your non-e fuel and get out of town !! LOL

Pete

WARNING ! DANGER, ROY ROBINSON !! If you guys find yourselves in Liberty, IN.,,and you hear banjo music and the sound of sqeeling pigs !! Get your non-e fuel and get out of town !! LOL[/QUOTE]

Who is Roy Robinson?? I like my e-free and bbq pig.

Man, Brad, that is a pretty long drive from Franklin to Cincy!!!

WARNING ! DANGER, ROY ROBINSON !! If you guys find yourselves in Liberty, IN.,,and you hear banjo music and the sound of sqeeling pigs !! Get your non-e fuel and get out of town !! LOL

Who is Roy Robinson?? I like my e-free and bbq pig.

Man, Brad, that is a pretty long drive from Franklin to Cincy!!![/QUOTE]

What do you get when you cross Roy Orbison with Will Robinson?
A banjo playing Roy Robinson!

I think he meant 'Will' Robinson.

From the robot's mouth (voice box?) from the TV show 'Lost In Space' .

Stihl chainsaws don't swim well at all. My MS361 was on the back of the chipper while I was away on an errand and this pic shows what I found when I got back. At least the chipper didn't go in the river. I pulled the plug and the air filter and flushed the saw with a garden hose. A little WD40 here and there, fresh fuel and the saw has been running for about 4 years without a problem.

MS361intheRiver004.jpg

MS361intheRiver003.jpg

Got the seals out, flushed with simple green, cold water, and then wd-40 while moving the rod so all the sand would get removed. The bearings feel very smooth and no gritty grabby spots. Got the seals and will try to re-assemble tonight.

glad to see its all gonna work out .....all the offers of help round here are amazing:rock: some top notch people here...

Back