Saw transport - chain storage in the field

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopJimmy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
A while back I asked how you guys managed your saws and extra chains and bars in the field. I got a lot of good replies and ideas. I have finally come up with a system that works well for me. I thought I would share it in case any of my ideas might be helpful to anyone else. If anyone has any ideas to improve my system, let me know.

My cutting truck is an old F250 with a plastic bed liner. The bed liner has two recessed areas for a 2X4 behind the wheel wells. I took a 2X4 and built a compartment to hold my chain box and my gas can on the far left. I then cut slots in the 2X4 with a chainsaw to hold my saws in place.

I found a Stanley storage box that works well for my chains. It has removable bins. I keep my chains in the bins and can change the bins based on what chains I want to take with me. I leave a couple of bins out to create an area to keep extra screnchs, misc. tools, grease gun, etc. This box fits into the 2X4

I have attached 3 pics. 1. the 2X4
2. the storage box
3. everything in place

The tailgate will close and keeps everything in place. When driving around I can leave the gate down and the everything still stays in place (I would not blaze down the road with the gate down).

The only thing lacking is bar storage. I usually take several saws with different length bars and never need to change bars in the field. If I took an additional bar, it would be a 32" bar just in case and I think I would leave it in the truck.

Jim

Agreed, nice setup. Thanks for sharing the pics.

I have a setup that works for me. I have a large full size weather gaurd truck box that I put in the truck when it is needed for the saw storage, and is also lockable (had a saw stolen from the back of my truck before (RIP 044))

It is the larger box that is 30" deep, and holds my 372 w/20", 7900 w 24", 5100 w 16", 066 w/28". I also have room for my box of chains and goodies (plastic remmington ammo shot box) milkcrates for fuel cans and oil jugs, and the extra bars fit down the length of the box.

i normally don't have the box in the truck and can install/remove it fairly easy. I also will mount the box on my trailer when I head to the woodlot for more wood storage in the bed.

I like this method because it is lockable. Before my 044 was stolen, I just tossed everything in the bed and never thought twice about it.

The old truck is a supercab with no back seat, so I could keep the saws back there. It will make a good place to put them in the event of a heavy rain or if I should go to town. Sometimes I take my 3yo twins with me (does not allow for very serious cutting) and I would be afraid to have them bouncing around the cab with the chains:hmm3grin2orange:

Does that mean that your significant other has to ride in the back when you have saws with you?:yoyo:
Jim

TopJimmy said:
Does that mean that your significant other has to ride in the back when you have saws with you?:yoyo:

You don't log in here much do you? :laugh:

What I mean by that is that everyone here knows I'm about as single as single can get! No significant other here, so yeah, the saws ride in the cab.

I could not remember, I thought that might be the case. Next time you go on a date, leave the saws at home it might be easier on the pantyhose! That might lead to a second date!

I like what you've done there. My problem is where to put the saw, PPE, tools and oil after I fill up the bed with wood. My truck is not extended cab, and my boys have to ride somewhere. It gets pretty crowded in the cab coming off the mountain with a load of wood in the bed and saws/crap in the front.

I am a little spoiled when it comes to picking up the wood. The majority of the wood I cut is on my own property. Once I have a bunch cut, I can go back for it after unloading the saws, but I usually take the skid steer and dump truck. It beats hand loading and unloading:bang:

Jim

Fishhuntcutwood,
Do you also keep your saws in the living room? If so, forget my last post, you are a lost cause:)

Jim

TopJimmy said:
Fishhuntcutwood,
Do you also keep your saws in the living room? If so, forget my last post, you are a lost cause:)

Jim

Jim, you really do need to log on here more...

attachment.php

I drive for miles and miles on forest service gravel/dirt very bumpy roads (to get to where I am going).

Don't want my chainsaw bumping around too, so I have several layers of foam padding I rest the saw on, then tie it and the gas can down to the bed of my truck with a bungee cord.

Nice setup

Back of my truck looks like a jungle jim.I run with a topper solves my prob for gas fumes in the cab.And rain,some thieves.Also has a rack for the ladders on top.I disconnect the head of the pole saw to fit because its a short bed.But IMO a topper is the only way to go.I keep just about all i ever need in there.Shovels, rakes hand tools,etc.Only real prob is when i go to the grocery store.:bang: Got a truck and no room for groceries.

fish that is sweet:cheers: i'm just a home owner but have a couple saw and soon will have 4 bars(2 for each saw) any how i like the chain box idea. safe place to keep chains and misc stuff in the garage.

fishhuntcutwood said:
Jim, you really do need to log on here more...

attachment.php

If one zooms in he notices a bottle of The Bowmore. Excellant choice Jeff.

Fred

Where is the 056 Mag. I love those saws and hate to this day I dont still own one. Nice picture, just missing the big beauty.

Back