Saw upgrade

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys
I am new to this forum looking for advice on upgrading my current saw for cutting a lot of firewood. I have a Stihl MS250. Great little saw but i cut a lot of big hardwood. The 18” bar isn’t big enough for felling some of the trees im harvesting. I don’t need a huge saw but definitely need more than the 18” bar I currently run. I’m thinking about getting a Husqvarna 455 Rancher with 20” bar. What do you guys think?

I have a 455 for the hunt camp for firewood. It’s nothing like any of my pro saws and it’s a heavy for it’s power . It’s exactly like a poster said below a good homeowner saw.

Even a few of the little details... no quick release on the air filter (retaining screws in the cover) and aside from the sprocket cover the rest is all plastic.

If you looking for a great lightweight pro “ish” saw try to get a husky 353... it’s nimble, powerful and very easy to work on.

Steer clear of the 455 rancher ...

I ran an 025 stihl as my one saw plan for almost 10 years.

I have many saws now in 50, 60 and 70cc sizes.

A good 60cc saw it perfect for most jobs. Not too heavy or too slow. Just right.

A good used 60cc saw or something like that would be a good place to look. Saws dont have to be expensive to do work.

I'll admit I run my 257 a lot and it's not a hotrod wizzbang saw but I like it. She cuts wood just fine.

Yeah. One of our local Echo dealers has 10% off this week. So that's $360 for the 590.
Wow - $360 for a new CS-590 - hard to imagine why anybody would buy something else in this range of saw. Unless you are a saw snob that just hates the idea of the Echo name, that would be the only logical choice in my opinion.

Wow - $360 for a new CS-590 - hard to imagine why anybody would buy something else in this range of saw. Unless you are a saw snob that just hates the idea of the Echo name, that would be the only logical choice in my opinion.
They $399 my local dealer. Looked at one today. Seems very heavy for a 20” saw even though it’s all plastic

Well, for better or worse and against the advice of most of ya’ll I pulled the trigger on a new 455 Rancher today for $359. Got it fired up today and will start cutting tomorrow.

Enjoy your new saw!
At least you bought a Husky and not one of those 'Orange & White' saws.

Settle down Stihl lovers....I'm kidding ;)

They $399 my local dealer. Looked at one today. Seems very heavy for a 20” saw even though it’s all plastic
Wrong. The CS-590 is NOT all plastic - the case is magnesium - only plastic covers.

But yes, they are a little heavier than other 60cc saws, but they cut better too!

Latest posts

Back