Sawmill planer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trever

GB mill 076 Super Stihl
Reaction score
I have a chance to buy an old Hermance 24" planer for $200 and it is not froze up. I guess it is around 1905-1915.

Anyone have one of these or know anything about them?

I did contact Hermance and they sent me a reprint of an old manual. Pretty neat.

Thank you in advance and have a blessed evening.

Trever

I have a chance to buy an old Hermance 24" planer for $200 and it is not froze up. I guess it is around 1905-1915.

Anyone have one of these or know anything about them?

I did contact Hermance and they sent me a reprint of an old manual. Pretty neat.

Thank you in advance and have a blessed evening.

Trever
If it runs and you can get or sharpen the blades, it sounds like it could be a great planer. 24 inch planeing capability is not insignificant. For a guy who slabs stems, it's sounds just like what the Dr ordered.

Keep us posted and let us know how it goes.

Old Blue
In the land of taxes, taxes on taxes and fees for taxes.
Kali-bone-ya

If it runs and you can get or sharpen the blades, it sounds like it could be a great planer. 24 inch planeing capability is not insignificant. For a guy who slabs stems, it's sounds just like what the Dr ordered.

Keep us posted and let us know how it goes.

Old Blue
In the land of taxes, taxes on taxes and fees for taxes.
Kali-bone-ya

Thank you. I am giong to check on pricing for a local roll back and delivery today.
A friend up the road cuts log home packages for 3 different suppliers. I will probably use him to make blades and sharpen as needed.

Have a blessed day and safe cutting to you.

Trever

there are a couple forums for old wood working equipment.

Yes Sir. I did some looking around on Vintage Machinery yesterday.
The folks at Hermance are very friendly and helpful. I have a brochure that was emailed to me
10-15 minutes after I spoke with them. They can provide some parts as well if needed.

Trever

If its a big hunk of iron you could probably get most of your money back in scrap. Seems like a no brainer purchase if you have use for it.

You bet. Just looking at my resources to use to get it. Probably would scrap for $250-300.

Awww come on man! Don't scrap it! Put it back in service and use the heck out of it. That's what it's for.

Old Blue
warning 3 beer post

Not scrapping it unless alot is broken that I can't fabricate. I really want it for my sawmill project and intend to use to hound out of it.

Trever

Not scrapping it unless alot is broken that I can't fabricate. I really want it for my sawmill project and intend to use to hound out of it.

Trever

I paid for it today. More to follow with pics.

Trever

Attachments

• DSCF1651.JPG
    DSCF1651.JPG
    186.6 KB · Views: 140
  • DSCF1667.JPG
    DSCF1667.JPG
    128.8 KB · Views: 145
  • DSCF1663.JPG
    DSCF1663.JPG
    173.2 KB · Views: 141
  • DSCF1655.JPG
    DSCF1655.JPG
    167.1 KB · Views: 146
  • DSCF1656.JPG
    DSCF1656.JPG
    135.1 KB · Views: 111
Woah...beautiful machine. Now you have an excuse to build that outdoor planning shed you always wanted!

Making ramps for trailer so I can get this planer matcher. I found the model number today. Hermance No. 02; serial number 3395.

Latest posts

Back