saws and dogs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The dog that gave me the hardest time is the dog that I have now. He's also the same dog that has given me the most laughs. He's a Black Lab named Sam. We got him when he was a young pup and he's about 10 years old now.

When Sam was a pup and even up to two years old he was very destructive. He loved to chew on things and he didn't care what they were. He would chase a ball non-stop until you made him quit. Sam loved to be the center of attention. If I was working he would get a ball or some other object and put it in my hand or in the way of my work.

I was painting one time and wouldn't play with Sam. He brought his ball over to my bucket of paint and I heard a plump. He dropped his ball right in the bucket of paint. I could go on and on about the antics of Sam. Sam could have me furious one minute and laughing at him the next.

Sam is losing his eyesight. He still loves to chase a ball or stick but he can't tell where the stick or ball lands. I have to throw it close so that he can find it. He doesn't get around like he used to but he's still capable of some sprints.

Most dogs are not like Sam and I'm sure that you wouldn't want a dog like Sam. He has the most personality of any dog that I've ever been around and when he does die I'm sure that I'll miss him more than any dog I've ever been around.

I have found over the years that the best dog is a mutt. The best dogs are from shelters. The animals out of shelters seem to give you their heart and devotion. Mutts tend to be the best for many reasons. Many different animal breeds are known for certain things. IE pure bread German shepards are almost certain to have him problems when they get older. Many times with muts you can bread that out of them, or it has been naturally. Certain breeds of dogs are more known to being loyal and faithful and sticking around as well. IE Alaskan huskies are breed to run run and run, don't look back just go. They aren't really guard dogs, or protectors at all. Australian Shepard's are very high energy dogs. They must be exercised daily or given a "job" or they will get board and rip stuff up etc. You need to do some research on breeds etc before getting the animal and seeing what breed is most likely to do. I believe in crate training. If you aren't at home lock the dog in a cage (appropriate size). Let them out when you get home. They most likely wont want to piss in their "house". Eventually once the dog is trained, you can probably let them have free rein on the house when you aren't home. Also remember you cant expect a dog to do miracles. One person I know kept getting mad because their dog would piss in the house after being left home for 12 hours straight. My dog has learned now she is like a camel, when I don't take her with me and the wife isn't home she wont eat or drink until you get home. When you walk in the door she goes out, you let her in and she eats and drinks then. She has only went in the house 1 time, and she went in the basment, on concrete, next to the floor drain. My personal dog is a mut. She came to us and found us stray that just showed up one day. She has been the best dog by far we have ever had. She wasn't like that at first. At first, she must have been abused, any time you had a cord like on a vacuum or rope she would get real scared and then start attacking it. We put in an invisible fence. That dog didn't care when you scared her she was GONE. You drop a metal pan anything she would run. If you got in your car and took off after her shed run, farther and faster. I learned when she took off just let her go, shed come back in about 15 minutes. We live out in the middle of a corn field and she never crossed the road or ran on the road so it wasn't a big deal. Like i said even with the shock collar on and it functioning properly it wouldn't stop her. Fast forward to present. I can be cutting or splitting wood she doesn't care. There have been times I have been running the chainsaw and she is probably 20 feet away sleeping. When we are out in the woods cutting trees or anything like that she does her thing,(shes far enough away to not get hurt or have a tree fall on her, but (THROUGH TRAINING AND YEARS OF WORK), she always comes when called. Most of the time she just goes out and explores, chases gophers into the hole and stands there and watches the hole etc, but always comes when called. She rides in the backhoe etc NOW (before it use to scare her to death). She is just a mut, but by far the best dog we have ever had. I would also recommend getting a decent sized dog. (at least a medium). A couple times my dog has cornered a coon in the shed. She goes and does her thing while I cut and split wood or whatever and I hadn't seen her in awhile, she wouldn't come when called. I heard some noises in the shed went and looked and she had the coon cornered. Coons have very sharp nails as you know and are very aggressive. A smaller dog a coon or something of that nature might kill or mangle pretty good. Sorry for rambling but dogs can make cutting etc very enjoyable if you find the right one. PS try to look for a dog with shorter hair, my dog has long hair and seems daily you have to comb and brush her, she tends to go exploring and gets burrs etc in her hair and with long hair it is kind of a pain. She tends to keep an eye on the woodpile too. She is very protective. Once I tell her to calm down and relax she is usually pretty good with customers around. Once there was a customer who was yelling and flailing his arms etc, and she started biting (nipping never really bit him) at his ankles, so depending if you sell any wood or not and have customers around, it could become a liability issue. Most shelters also have a policy if they sold you the dog, you can return it at any time for whatever reason if it doesnt work out. I agree with swamp yankee. It takes many years of training and working with the dog. The last picture is the day I was sawing literally not 20ft from her and I look over and she is sleeping. When she found us she was about 1 year old, it took about 5 years of working with her to get her that calm.

Last edited:
Okay, for my two cents worth.
I would highly discourage getting your dog from out of the area unless you are able to go meet the dog first.if you are importing a working dog,IE a hunter or guard dog, maybe not a problem.
But if you are getting a dog to be a companion,a friend, and a member of the family, meet the dog first.Dogs are like people,they may be great folks,but you wouldnt want to live with em.A tour of some nearby shelters will result in at least one dog attracting your eye,and most shelters have a room where the dog can be taken into to get better aquantid with.

Last,but not least, as was also mentioned above by someone else, dogs especially of the outside type, require maintenence.If you have more than one, the cost goes up considerably.As a kid, I had all at one time a black lab,a beagle,two collie dogs, and some kind of terrier.My poor mom went broke when it was time to give them all their shots,worm them,feed them, vet visits, etc.But luckily for me my mother realized that in the rural area that I lived in they were my only friends and never seemed to wince too much at the cost.But take it into account if you are thinking about more than one right off.It can get spendy, quick!

What ever you decide, good luck.I know in the case of my Lab, you couldnt find a more loyal friend anywhere in this world.She would rather suffer in the cold weather to hang out with me in the woods than curled up in front of a warm fire back at the house.

Get yourself one of these.

attachment.php

She was 8 weeks when this picture was taken. Now she is 85 pounds of pure muscle. She is half black lab, half "pit bull". Best dog ever!

We raised our cocker from a pup. As noted earlier, dogs often take after their owners.

Ours is a case in point:

Pretty mellow personality with a live and let live attitude. We're both really hairy and get covered in woodchips a lot.

He too doesn't care much for the wife's cat. Neither of us it too inhibited to eat food that's fallen on the floor. Nor is either of us too proud to pee out in the yard.

We're both up to hard work but are content to sit by the stove on a cold New England winter's evening.

We're at about the same reading level and either of us would rip to shreads anyone who dared lay a finger on the kids.

I have 2 Assuies and they've been around the saw since they were pups. Never had an issue adn they always stick around but stay out of the way..
Very intelligent and loyal dogs.

Okay, for my two cents worth.
I would highly discourage getting your dog from out of the area unless you are able to go meet the dog first.if you are importing a working dog,IE a hunter or guard dog, maybe not a problem.

Only a partial quote, but...I drove 80 miles to get my male pug, Scooter, but he's a W.Va. dog...blended rite into the Mt. Falls scene.

Old saying

There are no bad dogs, just bad owners.

It's the truth. If you and your family, and it really sounds like you're not, (no slam, just the tone of your original post), do not have the necessary time or are not willing to make the commitment, to work with the dog then I would say no, don't do it. A dog will do what you teach it, if you teach it to be a disobidient knuckle head then that's exactly what you'll get.

Knowing the area where you are, there's not a lot of area for a dog to do it's thing. Neighbor issues may be a problem. Chaining the dog up to bark its head off in the back yard, like a lot of animals I see in that neighborhood, is not much of a life.

I'm on my third Golden Retreiver. They, like beagles, are smart, high energy dogs and need a lot of exercise and stimulation. I spend a minimum of 1 to 3 hours a day going for walks, taking him swimming, and working to reinforce the commands with Mikey. Dogs need to be dogs, and if you don't have the time to dedicate, be fair to the animal and let it pass. Wait 6 months and if the desire is still there revisit adoption.

Well you asked for advice and I would say with all the irons in the fire you have now between family, work, wood, etc., aquiring a dog probably should be a low priority as if you do get one it will suffer the consequences of being a low priority.

Sorry to be a jerk but I hate to see neglected animals, even if the best of intentions were originally sincere.

Take Care
Great post!!
I have been taking my boy cutting since he was just a wee pup, The first few months I was more worried about a critter getting him than a tree falling on him. I just keep a eye open for him when dropping a tree just in case he comes running back to tell me has found game over the ridge. It's hunting season 365 day's of the year for him.
A dog is a big responsibility, you have to exercise them, keep there brain working by training and let them be dog's at the same time.

We've always had a couple dogs around, they seem to get along better that way. We lost our little heeler, Millie, a few weeks ago and needed to replace her right away, not because we wanted to, but because Howard needed a buddy and someone to help him keep the coyotes away at night.

We found Jake through a CraigsList ad. The owners had moved from a ranch to town and he was miserable being locked up, so they gladly gave him to us, since out place is pretty much "dog heaven".

Jake is a border collie (we think) and Howard is half golden retriever and half something else. Jake is on the left and Howard is on the right:

attachment.php

When we are down in the woods cutting, both dogs will find a nice place to rest and just watch us.

I agree that if you get two dogs, get one first and then once he learns the ropes, get another one. Jake learned the boundaries on the first weekend he was here. When we first moved here, we had two springers, and I had to lead them around the property several times before they caught on.

Swamp yankee got it right. If you don't think you want a dog, you dont. My dogs are my buddies, sleep with us, ride in the truck, make kindling from small logs. But we have always had and will always have dogs. Another point you want to consider is that dogs bond with their owner at 7 weeks old. A rescue or pound dog probably will come with some baggage and may or may not ever become "your dog". A lot of successes and failures with adoptions. The breed thing may be a bit overblown, but breeds to tend to act similarly. That said, owning a good dog is a gift from God, not to be taken lightly....Lanny

Last edited:
I agree with Swamp Yankee- and Woodbooga, that was funny. I second everything stated.
Husky455, my advice is short and simple: read some dog related books with your family. I suggest The Art of Raising A Puppy by The Monks of New Skete. This is just one, but its one of the better ones I've read.
Often times people want a dog just for the novelty of it. They may not understand all the time required to properly lead, train and care for the animal. It is imperative for you and your family to understand how much time you would need to devote to your new animal. A dog is not a toy that can be played with and then put away when you don't feel like playing anymore-it needs your attention- even when you're tired or sick.
I have a 10 month old Chesapeake Bay Retriever that I spend over 3 hours a day just making sure she gets proper exercise. This excludes daily training and other general care.
My point is that owning a dog can be a rewarding experience, but only if you understand what will be required of you.

When I first read the title of this thread I thought it was about chainsaw bumper spikes (bucking/falling dogs) lol.

Last edited:
When I first read the title of this thread I thought it was about chainsaw bumper spikes (bucking/falling dogs) lol.[/QUOTE]

that was paet of my plan so the thread wouldnt get moved lol. i like the guys on this forum i dont venture into off topic too often.

anyway ill elaborate a bit here. this is the wifes thing. she grew up with dogs all her life and has been wanting one for years now. i keep pushing it off but i dont think i can do it anymore lol. she knows full well what it takes to keep a dog. she always had sheppards for years.
its not that i hate animals or anything i dispite it all was quite fond of the bishon that we had. the wife sold her without me knowing at the time. shes home all day as she works at night and im home at night. so someone will almost always be here anyway.

also for some reason it dont work out or the dog just dosent fit here they said we have 14 days to bring him back if we like. shes 100% dead set on that beagle pug mutt. (i asked and no he dosent have that annoying beagle bark) the only real think im limbo is if the heeler is gonna come too. i really dont know if thats a good idea or what. i got a couple weeks to kick it around anyway.

sometimes i think it will be cool to have a guard dog type dog. he can drive around with me in my truck and just be my all around buddy. as im sure the wife is gonna baby the crap outta the other dog lol. i know a few people with 2 dogs and they are great. in the back of my mind im just worried about getting 2 crazy ass dogs that dont ever stop. i spoke with the woman for quite a long while on the phone and she couldnt say enough good things about them. i also assured her if she misrepresented the dogs she would be getting them back. she also said outta the last 450 adoptions 2 came back.

I am a huge dog lover and have had dogs around all my life. Frankly, I can't imagine not having a dog or two in the house. We currently have two, both Doberman's and both rescue animals. One is a male and the other a female, and they get along great. We have had our best luck with rescue and adopted animals over the years, and when we lose an old friend to old age, or disease, we start checking the shelters and rescue organizations again for a replacement. Lord knows, there's plenty of them out there that need a loving home. I would note that our best dogs have been mutts, not pure-breads. Be wary of overly aggressive dogs and dogs that have been confined to a crate most of the day. We adopted one big Shepard that ended up costing me a pretty penny to replace the neighbors turkeys and ducks he decided to eat when I turned him loose. We eventually had to give that dog up. One of the Dobies we have now had spent most of her day in a crate and had almost no socialization when we got her. she was extremely timid and it took a long time for her to come around. She has turned into a great dog now, and we are happy we stuck it out with her. As far as my working the wood with the dogs, I don't. I want to be focused on what I am doing and not where my dogs are or what there doing at the moment. Both animals get plenty of play time but only when we are outside with them or they are confined to our property on runs. I don't want them messing up the neighbors lawns, getting into their garbage, or crossing the main road that is only about 100 yards from our house. Dogs are truly Man's best friend, and you can take that to the bank.

Maplemeister: :cheers:

that was paet of my plan so the thread wouldnt get moved lol. i like the guys on this forum i dont venture into off topic too often.

anyway ill elaborate a bit here. this is the wifes thing. she grew up with dogs all her life and has been wanting one for years now. i keep pushing it off but i dont think i can do it anymore

i still say stay with the fish!
it's not too late!!!!

maybe you could get a DOGfish?
:)

Husky455rancher, I just realized we are all missing the point entirely. The WIFE wants the dogs, you better start bulding a dog house...Lanny:)

Yeah, I like the guys on this forum too. I seldom visit the chainsaw forum (too busy) but I might check out logging and forestry from time to time.
However, this is a good compromise between the two, and I'm here most of the time.

I understand a little bit better about your situation- thanks for taking the time to elaborate. It sounds like you and your family understand what the implications and consequences of getting a dog will bring. I guess your issue now will be what you alluded to (you dont want to have two dogs running crazy all over the place.) So, obviously you don't want to make trouble for yourself. Like you said, you got two weeks to kick it around and think about it. Its basically a matter of making a decision and commiting yourself to it.

Good luck and happy cutting (with your possible new best friend)

Last edited:
I am also a Chesapeake Bay retriever fan. My current Chessie is a rescue. They recommended going for a full year of classes. I was reluctant because I have always had hunting dogs and did my own training. A year and half later and I learned a lot. I highly recommend this if you are getting a nonpup.

Good luck

i still say stay with the fish!
it's not too late!!!!

maybe you could get a DOGfish?
:)

lol dogfish are cool lookin things. but i got a three spot chiclid that would kill him in minutes. hes almost the size of my hand and i can palm a basketball. i got a jack dempsey in the tank and if he didnt have that big log to hide in hed be dead too. i never seen a fish so damn mean before. as soon as the dempsey pokes his head out hes all over him. thats saying something cuse they didnt name them jack dempseys for nuthin.

Husky455rancher, I just realized we are all missing the point entirely. The WIFE wants the dogs, you better start bulding a dog house...Lanny:)

you aint kiddin man lol i delayed it as long as i could lol. i fought the good fight but there comes a time when you just have to lay down to keep things right. besides now she cant get mad when i order me a 372xpg hopefully this summer. mmm a backup 346 would be a nice thing to have too. why didnt i do this sooner lol.

Just my 2¢. Go to your local shelter and shop till ya drop. That should take all of 10 minutes. The next thing you need to know is, you don't adopt the dog, the dog adopts you.

No dog from a shelter should cost $300.

Back