saws and dogs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well......... I can't add too much that hasn't already been said. One thing I've gotta say though, since you seem very undecided on the whole dog / no dog thing. Its clear to me that, unfortunately, you have lived your life having never had a GOOD dog. I hope you end up with one...... it will change how you look at dogs from there on out. :cheers:

MaxwellGurall059.jpg

And the Golden is the best friend you could ever have. Smartest dog on the planet. I taught mine to eat with a fork.

And the Golden is the best friend you could ever have. Smartest dog on the planet. I taught mine to eat with a fork.

LOL!!!
Mine learned not to scrape his teeth like a proper Gentleman!

Heck I thought I was the only one with Fork trained pooches.

Our Pound rescue is a Boxer/Jack Russel mix. She took a couple tries and now has better untensil manners than most people LOL!!!!

Guinness out of the glass without spilling, is the definitive indicator of good manners however. ;)

Goldens are almost Human at times.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

My story

You have all covered it all but I would like to share. I have three lab mixed living in the house. I love them all but Chester is special. He was born here on the property and since then he and I have had a weird bond.When he was a little over a year old the people down the road had a forth of july party. They set off some very big fireworks that scared Chet so bad he took off. Looked for him most of the night and the next morning got a call from next hollow over. They found him by the road hit by a vehicle and he was in real bad shape.I ran and got him and took him to the vet. He was out and in shock. Lost a ton of blood front leg and shoulder almost gone along with other scrapes.The doc looked at him and quickly said he would try to fix him up but recommended putting him down. This is the strange part. Just at that point Chet opened one eye and looked right at me and licked his lip.Then back to sleep. I said fix him what ever it cost we gotta try. He came out of this with just a few scars, not even a limp. He goes every where I go. Sleeps beside me every night.Works with me in the shop and the woods. Hell he even has a beer with me at the end of the day.Out lasted the ex wife even.Sorry so long of story and theres much more but you get the idea.These animals can become a lot more than pets.They can truly be your very best friend. Don't miss out.

You have all covered it all but I would like to share. I have three lab mixed living in the house. I love them all but Chester is special. He was born here on the property and since then he and I have had a weird bond.When he was a little over a year old the people down the road had a forth of july party. They set off some very big fireworks that scared Chet so bad he took off. Looked for him most of the night and the next morning got a call from next hollow over. They found him by the road hit by a vehicle and he was in real bad shape.I ran and got him and took him to the vet. He was out and in shock. Lost a ton of blood front leg and shoulder almost gone along with other scrapes.The doc looked at him and quickly said he would try to fix him up but recommended putting him down. This is the strange part. Just at that point Chet opened one eye and looked right at me and licked his lip.Then back to sleep. I said fix him what ever it cost we gotta try. He came out of this with just a few scars, not even a limp. He goes every where I go. Sleeps beside me every night.Works with me in the shop and the woods. Hell he even has a beer with me at the end of the day.Out lasted the ex wife even.Sorry so long of story and theres much more but you get the idea.These animals can become a lot more than pets.They can truly be your very best friend. Don't miss out.

Good Story Ron! Thanks for sharing:clap:

best dog we ever had was half Chesapeake bay retriever and half German Shepard.. she lived to 18 and had 2 litters of pups and was the gentlest, smartest dog ever...

best dog we ever had was half Chesapeake bay retriever and half German Shepard.. she lived to 18 and had 2 litters of pups and was the gentlest, smartest dog ever...

Before my present dog (purebred Chessie) I had a purebred German Shepard. They are my favorite breeds (not to say or any way imply that there is only one or two superior breeds.) They are both really great animals but I bet a Chessie/Shepard mix would have a good combination of both breeds' strong, desireable characteristics. I never even thought of that.
Its really been enjoyable to hear everyone's personal dog stories. Especially from other fellow Chessie owners. This is turning out to be a great thread.

Get a Chesapeake Bay Retriever Why ?

1) They dont mind cutting wood in winter - colder the better
2) if you force fetch them they can stack firewood
3) No one will harm your kids or belongings - ever !
4) They never run away - no need for a dog fence

Wow that a long time! Must be the Chessie cause most German shepherd's are done at about 11-12 yrs old.

Wow that a long time! Must be the Chessie cause most German shepherd's are done at about 11-12 yrs old.

yep, amazed us all.. full of energy and life right till the end, the only thing was she couldn't handle cold for the last year or so.. only dog I have ever known to have a blanket and use it..

my choc lab is near me no matter what im doing .she loves to follow the lawn tractor . my jack Russel is the opposite she runs when I walk up from the basement with a saw in my hand.
good luck, theres nuthin better than a good dog except a good women . or a cold beer . or a good women with a cold beer walking your dog ....
md

I have had a lot of dogs over my lifetime. We have had three in the last year.

The first one was a gift for my wife. His name was Rooney. He was a ####zu and Terrier mix. He looked like an those little animals on Star Wars, an Ewok. Cutest little dog you ever seen. Not real smart though. That dog had a dominant personality and thought he was in charge of everything. My daughter decided she wanted a dog and brought home a Husky, Rott mix. That was one smart dog, and we named him Buddha. I liked that one. He was ugly as sin, and would bark his head off if someone came around the house. Those two were a funny pair. The little one and the big one, running around, chasing each other. Rooney was scared of the chickens, and Buddha only killed one, once. He was punished and never looked at them sideways again.

One day, I was pulling into the house and, like always, the dogs ran up to meet me. I parked the truck and went to feed the animals. While feeding the animals, I notice there is only one dog with me. I walk down to the driveway and see that I ran over Rooney. My tire tracks went right over him. About two weeks later, I ran over the Buddha in the same spot. I felt so bad. I wasn't driving fast. I went and buried them both and told the family what happened.

About six months later, I am called to a family fight. When I get there, I find there hadn't been a fight and everything was cool. There were some dogs around with three or four puppies. I was petting the dogs and playing with the puppies when the owner noticed me. He told me to take one or even better take them all. There were two white labs, a black and one multicolored dog. I told him thanks, but because I was on duty, I couldn't. He told me to come back after I got off and take one. So, I did.

Now we have Max. He is a black lab mix, and a chicken killing son of a gun. He is allowed to run the property, as long as one of us is with him. Other then that, he is in the house, or on a chain. He loves to cut wood and play fetch. I don't punish him for killing the chickens, I adjusted my lifestyle so he can be a dog. How do you fight instinct? If it has feathers and moves, he is on it. He is a part of our family and rides with me in the truck when I go places.

Get yourself a dog. You will enjoy it.

I have two dogs. They definitely keep each other busy. But remember that this can happen!

DSC01483.jpg

Here's my other dog and the kid snuggling up.

P2260004.jpg

Latest posts

Back