Saws That Surprised You

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine just surprised me with it's inability to be started. Glad you got a good one.
Man! I must've gotten lucky with my ms250, it's one of the best starting saws I have.
I only have experience with one 250, so if lots of folks are having starting issues, it must be a real problem, just it is absolutely not an issue with mine.

What is it exactly that makes a saw easy or difficult to start?
Idk, my uncle always said "you're not holding your face right" maybe that's all it is.... but there's prolly a more scientific answer out there someplace.
For me, a saw that's hard to start is like a saw with a dull chain, they're no good anymore.... I just sell 'em off and buy a sharp saw! ;)

My most impressive saw I'd my little dolmar ps421. I remove the cat out of the muffler then opened the muffler up. Retuned the carb and she is a cutter. I put a 16" .325 bar and chain on it. It will out cut my dad's stihl 029 super. Plus I paid a little over $300 when I bought it. And it always starts on the 2nd pull.

...snip...

The Shindaiwa 360 is also surprising. Lightest, best balanced and most manoeuvrable saw I've ever touched, and it just screams through small stuff. Weaving the idle screw around the case cover is a major design flaw though, pain in the ass when you want to do minor carb work.

I have been using 36 cc Shindaiwa 360 for about 25 years for small stuff cutting and really like it!

When I bought it I was told by the dealer how many local wood carvers use it because it's built for professional use.

Shindaiwa 360.jpg

Again, the super mini/super ez/XL1 series of saws. Recently as a joke I put a 20-inch bar with full chisel chain on one to see what it could do. Well the joke was on me, it pulled it through a bar full of oak with no problems. In softwood the saw could probably handle a 24 inch bar or maybe even larger, a stupid amount of torque for it's displacement thanks to the reed valve setup.

IMG_20220930_093119.jpgIMG_20220930_093439.jpg

13 lbs with a bit of gas in it, and the plain xl-1 version is half a pound lighter.

I was going to start a thread very similar to this one the other day and never got around to it.

Of all the saws I have, the 562XP blows me away everytime I run it. It cuts above its weight class.

My Husqvarna 450 also blows me away from a performance standpoint. I know its just a "homeowner" grade saw, but it feels much more powerful than other 50cc saws I have run.
I have been very impressed with my Husqvarna 450, I got it after I returned my Husqvarna 440, The 440 was a very impressive saw when it ran, The thing would be cutting like a scalded ape and then quit like you turned a switch off, Very frustrating, Took it back and got the 450, The 450 for it's size is awesome! I have much bigger pro grade saws, But I reach for the 450 a lot because of my bad back. I cut the bigger stuff with my 372. I also have an older 262xp that flat boogies, That's an impressive saw for it's size.

My Husky 465 with a 24” bar saved our butts after Hurricane Michael. Cut up three huge oak trees. Again after a storm this summer. Eyeing a Stilh 400 if my dealer ever gets one in.

Latest posts

Back