Saws that will be future classics - What to stock up on now?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now dont tell me that I already bought one!!!!! If it is correct I need a couple more.

Well you already know what happened when the MS200T went away. More small saws sold than big saws especially to the masses. A year from now a NIB 241 sold on eBay with the right hype in the add!

Well you already know what happened when the MS200T went away. More small saws sold than big saws especially to the masses. A year from now a NIB 241 sold on eBay with the right hype in the add!
Now you did it! Im calling all around tomorrow for a few more.

This is going to sound terrible, but any saw that has the ability to adjust or remove EPA compliance out of it, is a contender. Most conventional 2 strokes with an adjustable carburetor would be on my list, with a few exceptions. Some would be eliminated on power, weight, good ideas that the manufacturer ignored. I wouldn't say all strato saws would be out. But the current MTronic/ Autotune would eliminate them for me. Short list, 50cc Dolkita's, My early 2000's 066 mag, Pre-cat Dolmar 6400-7900's.

In the late ‘70’s there’s was a Husqvarna 240SG all metal crankcase, handle, clutch cover. It’s a fantastic chainsaw. The heated handles was awesome. The cutting speed was just right. It had one nut clamping the clutch cover. It’s like a rolls royce to me.

You wouldn`t have much use for one over on that side of Nadia but I could add MS241C to the nomenclature to make it easier for you to Google up, not needed for us Stihl snobs....LOL
Great little saws! I had an 028 and ran a 034 for a few days. The little ones went to AV mounts. Great saws. The 262 spanked the 036 on revs.

You get into the bigger Stihllsonberg's?

"Stomping" Tom Conner's wrote a song about picking tobacco in Tillsonberg Ontario.

"Tillsonberg.. Tillsonberg ..well mah back still hurt when I hear that word".

'Stihlsonberg' .'.Stihlsonberg' ..well mah hands still hurt ..when I hear that word

Word!

Great little saws! I had an 028 and ran a 034 for a few days. The little ones went to AV mounts. Great saws. The 262 spanked the 036 on revs.

"Stomping" Tom Conner's wrote a song about picking tobacco in Tillsonberg Ontario.

'Stihlsonberg' .'.Stihlsonberg' ..well mah hands still hurt ..when I hear that word

Word!

Stihls are light weight compared to what I run coming up through the years, 33 lbs were the common norm. My back does not ache from swinging an 066 all day, the 090 on the other hand I don`t much fancy toting it too far around the woods.

Word!
It's "Tillsonburg" with a "u"

I have family there so it matters :lol:

You would never know the way Tom sang it....LOL
Tom was great... my parents took me to the Tommy Hunter show in the local H.S gymnasium and "Stompin'" Tom Connors was one of his guests. I still remember him bringing out a chunk of plywood to stomp on so he wouldn't damage the wood floor of the stage.

That was a few years ago :innocent:

In my opinion (and I might be wrong) present modern saws will be unmaintainable when they become classic - most already will have been replaced by then, and parts for individual survivors won't be readily available.
Dead stock of old McCulloch parts pops up here even now. And those parts still can be used since they were made to last as things were repaired rather than replaced in the old days (last century).
In recent years the model life span has shortened over all and parts inventory management has improved, and the parts' shelf life (quality) has decreased accordingly. Also, since saws have become ever cheaper the number of repairs (and parts needed) has decreased. The repair-friendly days are over.
To maintain classic saws in the future it may be a good idea to preserve the parts needed first (now)...

What saws of today will be looked back on as classics? If you were able to buy a few and keep them tucked away untouched NIB what would they be? I like Stihls so I can't help but think that the 461 might be the last manual carb professional logger saw. Similarly, the 261 is in an amazing sweet spot of size/weight and power. Is the big 661 going to be replaced with a FI saw?
The 661, 462, 362, 261 can all be had with a standard carb.
I have a box...
https://photos.app.goo.gl/nVnvq5tMfHwrMEkJ9

There are far better places to stash your cash than a chainsaw. I've seen people with pictures of stacks of NIB saws and it's cool, but doesn't make financial sense. Save your money elsewhere and buy one of those from them if you ever need it. You'll come out $$ ahead every time.
Your right Tim, they shouldn't all be kept in boxes, I like free range saws :laugh:.

Modern throwaway craze. I’m an old school mechanic. Been washing parts for the oldman when I was six years old fixing lawn mowers around 10yo. I rebuilt starters, generators, alternators ect. I have plenty of used parts for my gm truck. I needed brushes for a starter. The auto parts store didn’t have them but he had a $45 rebuilt starter, it’s $45 vs $1.50 brushes. I had to go to a local automotive electrical shop for the brushes. We have become a remove and replace now. We don’t have real mechanics anymore plus no parts to rebuild. Just try to get parts for my 55 Willy’s jeep at the local parts store they use a computer to look up parts the computer doesn’t go to 1955. Thank god for online ordering but I plan ahead or stock up on common parts.

What about the older collectable saws do we rebuild them and run then too or stack then up like cordwood.

Modern throwaway craze. I’m an old school mechanic. Been washing parts for the oldman when I was six years old fixing lawn mowers around 10yo. I rebuilt starters, generators, alternators ect. I have plenty of used parts for my gm truck. I needed brushes for a starter. The auto parts store didn’t have them but he had a $45 rebuilt starter, it’s $45 vs $1.50 brushes. I had to go to a local automotive electrical shop for the brushes. We have become a remove and replace now. We don’t have real mechanics anymore plus no parts to rebuild. Just try to get parts for my 55 Willy’s jeep at the local parts store they use a computer to look up parts the computer doesn’t go to 1955. Thank god for online ordering but I plan ahead or stock up on common parts.
Bill you ain't no young buck, you better not get to close to the trash can yourself :eek:. Unfortunately even life has become that way, but I think there's another forum area for deeper discussions on that. What you're saying is true though, it's very hard to buy just a small component and fix the actual problem, now you have to buy a larger part/replace the whole thing. What's sad is many of the parts that go bad are just a cheap little part, if they were engineered a bit better they would last and the component would not need to be replaced. Many manufactures build things to hold together to the end of the warranty and that's it, and even if a few fail before it ends that's perfect because they didn't over build it :rare2:.

Back