Saws that will be future classics - What to stock up on now?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Obsolescence is what keeps the economy from going down in a flaming catastrophe

Engineering has it down to a science and an art at this point.

Just waiting for the solenoids for the gas control valve in the clothes dryer to show up so I can fix that pos. It’s a common issue, apparently..

Last time it was a fuse..

These electrical parts did not exist on gas dryers not that many years ago.

The only modern saws i like are the 261 461 7300 7900 haven't tried everything that's out there the solos looked like runner's too.
Because they are carbed
I'll probably like the 462 if i could get the carbed version.
Having worked on saws since the 80s
I'll never be one to get any saw that i can't
Fix myself.
My 1984 and up 2 series are still humming along.
Lol

In my opinion (and I might be wrong) present modern saws will be unmaintainable when they become classic - most already will have been replaced by then, and parts for individual survivors won't be readily available.
Dead stock of old McCulloch parts pops up here even now. And those parts still can be used since they were made to last as things were repaired rather than replaced in the old days (last century).
In recent years the model life span has shortened over all and parts inventory management has improved, and the parts' shelf life (quality) has decreased accordingly. Also, since saws have become ever cheaper the number of repairs (and parts needed) has decreased. The repair-friendly days are over.
To maintain classic saws in the future it may be a good idea to preserve the parts needed first (now)...

I think this is an interesting angle, and planned obsolescence is definitely a part of today's products. The question is, when the EPA outlaws 2 strokes entirely (and it's absolutely going to happen), which of today's saws would you rather have on hand than the battery powered saws that will fill their space?

I think this is an interesting angle, and planned obsolescence is definitely a part of today's products. The question is, when the EPA outlaws 2 strokes entirely (and it's absolutely going to happen), which of today's saws would you rather have on hand than the battery powered saws that will fill their space?
If we're strictly comparing to battery powered, the list of acceptable alternatives is long, and come in all colors. I could possibly even be talked into a Holzfforma in that scenario.:laugh:

I would prefer any older saw over whatever is available today where maintaining the tool as a classic is concerned. I have revived saws from the 60ies 10-15 years ago that just needed a carb cleaning and fuel line/filter replacement and they still run now, and some of those really have seen some (ab)use. Engines made after 1990 and especially at present contain parts that are possibly easier and cheaper to produce but also will very definitely fail (are meant to fail) in the (not so) long run. Money wasted if you already have a saw that works and can be made to work again and again if it fails.
One example is my 034 AV Super - I liked that saw (made 1989) so much 15 years ago I got 3 spare saws just in case. I am still cutting most of my firewood with the first 034, the other three saws are resting on the shelf (although they do work).

One thing that has really improved is AV. Even the smoothest of the 80’s and 90’s saws do not come close the the best recent saws. I never used to notice the vibes much. Well I did, but I ignored it. Now I really appreciate smooooth.

If we're strictly comparing to battery powered, the list of acceptable alternatives is long, and come in all colors. I could possibly even be talked into a Holzfforma in that scenario.:laugh:
No doubt! How many batteries would it take to replace my 066 magnum and 1 gallon of premix? I'm assuming more than i can carry.

Is this top handle known as being special? How does it compare to the well loved Stihl 201t?
It is more in the class of the Stihl 150t. Husqvarna also has a similar offering on their website now due to become available soon.

The design of the side handle may or may not be to your liking.
One may think that the battery choices are more special.

Funny, but the point of my post wasn't for "investment" purposes, or as a money maker. The point is to buy for personal use now while these saws are available, and have them for the future. Whether they go up in value or not is a secondary item. For me, its a matter of regret. If you have the money now, and you're not looking at it as an investment or cash flow generator, why not buy the saws you think are at the top of their game, and might not ever be sold new again?

So to that end, what are the best of the best saws available today that might not be equaled or surpassed by the saws of the future?
if most could go back in time! 55 chevy,67 Camaro,64.5 mustang ,52 chevy truck etc.,etc.

Back