saws with sentimental value

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All the saws in my sig except the poulan, homelite, eager beaver.
10-10, 65l and the 280e were my fathers and the 041 is my stepdads and he has had it since new and none of these will leave my possession.

My dad gave me a brand new, in the box Husky 44 about 5 years ago (he used to be a dealer) before he passed away and I got a brand new, in the box Husky 61 and a brand new, in the box Jonsered 370 after he passed away. It really sucks that Husky discontinued the 44 (and all parts for them) in 2004, as it is my favorite saw. I'm reduced to prowling Ebay and other places for used parts. But, those 3, I'll never get rid of. I'll just run them until they die, clean them up and hang them on the wall.

I had an 028 given to me by a sweet and very old neighbor, (he was 86) who died shortly thereafter. So I can't bear to sell it, every time I see it it reminds me of that old feller that would give you the shirt off his back if you needed it.

My first "real" saw, a Husqy 162SE bought new in 1982.

I had just moved into my first house in October of '81 and was heating exclusively with wood. Spent weekends and many nights cutting and splitting. I was using a mix of cheap McCullochs bought at the local department stores. I had been drooling over the 162SE but couldn't even think about affording it.

My grandfather was hospitalized the night before Thanksgiving with terminal cancer. Every day I'd go see him and he always asked why I wasn't cutting wood. He'd actually yell at me for being with him instead of taking care of my obligations at home.

The day he passed in late January my aunt handed me a check with a handwritten note from him that said it was time for me to get back to normal, and a new chainsaw would certainly help me get caught up for next season. I don't think I ever mentioned the saw of my dreams, but somehow he knew... the check was enough to cover it with a little left over for "supplies".

I will never part with this saw.

I have a Stihl 050 AV.
My Dad traded a Half a Beef for it.
Growing up it was the "go to" saw for felling and bucking up firewood.
My Dad used it some in the log woods, when he had a Bucking contract.
After I got bigger, man I sure was proud when I could start it by myself.
I can remember when the oiler went out, and he made us kids pour bar-oil on the bar/chain every few cuts.
My Dad then bought a Alaskan so we could mill some boards.
We used that big Stihl alot milling.
One of my proudest memories was when I used that saw to get a large load of wood by myself.
Typical Highschool kid... I sure was tired after.

He passed away and now there it sits, It will never be ran again.
I will never get rid of it.

I have saws now that I use, but they are all replaceable.
Not the Big Stihl.

I'll sell anything I own for the right price except for the "old woman" and my dog.:hmm3grin2orange:

I'm like that with most possessions, but there are a few that are emotional involvement, and a few I literally don't think I could replace.

For example, my (now adult) son's first motorcycle, a PW50 Yamaha, is still in great condition and I doubt I could ever part with it. I can still see that little straw-haired 4-year-old buzzing around the back yard on it.

Another is a 2002 YZ250 that is inexplicably and irrationally fast - much faster than any other 250 (2-stroke) that I've ever ridden (been on a bunch of 'em). In fact, I literally think it would take the CR500 I used to have, and I know it walks today's 450 thumpers (really ticks their owners off too :msp_sneaky:).

This 395 I will never get rid of. Was the first saw I ever bought brand new all on my own. Had it almost 10 years now and never any trouble with it.

attachment.php

I'm thinking it might be time for a new bar.
New bar and chain. Cleaned her up and repainted the white felling marks and "H" logo. Does anyone know where I might be able to get a new Husqvarna sticker for the clutch cover?

photobucket-69368-1370474001463_zps1f658338.jpg

Grew up listening to the 306 running and it will never leave.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/oKwbWJEII-8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back