Sawsnatchers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TREETX

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Has anybody ever had a bad experience with a sawsnatcher?? It is always in my mind when I drop something big.

A year ago I was dropping a 5 foot section of an elm spar and my saw stayed in a sawsnatcher. I keep it tied to me with a 5 foot leash. It yanked the hell out of me and broke the ring off my 020 w/out hesitation. 400lbs will do that. I know how I created it and what I did wrong. I was using a fast back cut to create a popping effect so I could get the piece to hop off and clear a roof. Risky for some but I know how cedar elm wood separates and how to use that to my advantage. The quick snapping cut prevented the cut from propperly hinging as desired but it created a perfect sawsnatcher.

I dropped an 18 foot section of a spar from a height of 15ft yesterday and could not get that thought out of my mind. All went as planned. In hind sight, several small cuts would have been safer but I wanted to skid the chunk out in one piece to save time.

I would like to know more about field experience people have with snatchers - I have already covered the academia end.

Thanks - Nate

The perfect solution I learned about with jumping off large horozontal limbs is to make the top cut about a ½" BEHIND the undercut, not in front of it. This creates a good release of energy when the lead pops off, and keeps the butt up a second longer before gravity speeds it to the ground. The butt end doesn't tend to hit as early, reducing divots. It also virtually eliminates sawsnatchers.

(home for lunch and kissies, got to get back up and finish)

Sawsnatchers? I hate those.

A couple years back had one. I refused to let go though, good thing I was secure so I didn't have to lend any brainpower for fear but it was a heck of a battle. Like you, it was a brand new 020T and dam if I was gonna loose her. I won, but my arm must've grown another five inches for a few days.

Latest posts

Back