Scared of heights?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chipper

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
The other day i was up in acer and had already topped it. With just the stalk left, I had only to block cut the remaining stalk which was about 50'. As I was lowering myself to the next cut, I had this deep fear inside me. Started to get a bit dizzy and tightened my saftey strap around the trunk. I have done this many times and have never had any feeling like this before, even when i wasn't properly tied in. Anyone had this before? Or am I just turning into a wuss? I love climbing.

It might be something as simple as head cold or allergy congestion. It can screw with your ears and affect your sense of balance or even cause vertigo at heights. As for the wuss, I wouldn't say that. You're up there at least. I'm afraid of heights when I'm on terra firma. :D

Thanks Mike. Sometimes I feel that I'm going sour. It is a gift to have a job that you love and I don't want to lose the ability to do it!

I'm still afraid of heights and I've been climbing almost three years, however it does not stop me! I know what you are talking about. :Eye:

I believe it to be normal. IMO, Its the 1,000 years of intellect trying to overcome a million years of instinct.
Just trust in your experience, check that you're tied in correctly, and safely, have a smoke, and get back cutting.
-Ralph

I'm afraid of heights. Seems normal for anyone who has the intelligence to understand that falling can cripple or kill you. Remind yourself that your rope and saddle are taking care of you, breath deep and go on. One nit to pick-Corn has a stalk. Trees have trunks, branches, leaders , or (a word that is correct but I dislike because it sounds small to my ear) stems. :angel:

Ayatolla

I love it. The higher, the better.

You couldn't be the AYATOLLA if you didn't! :cool:

any1 w/ any sense of mortality must have a fear of heights. except of course the blaster. but nobody here is even sure he is not actaully a machine. more likely he has forgotten what it is to be scared of heights. i have never heard of anybody not having that phobia to some degree. well maybe there are a couple androids out there. this fear is like any other- as you face it, it is defeated. the higher you work (on a regular basis) the further up the "ceiling" goes. newfie was right too. if you are sick (hungover)your perceptions can be distorted. your mind can play games w/ you. i bet if you were to chicken out and come out of the tree you could probly come back the next day and whoop that trees ass. the only difference being the frame of mind you are in @ the moment.

Thanks folks. Well, it can't be a hangover; I don't drink. So I guess it's just natural.

Pay attention to physiological responses such as:
1. Low blood sugar 2. Adrenaline fall off after dropping the top 3. Illness as previously noted 4. Blood pressure changes (cinching belt too tight keeps BP higher in the torso and head) 5. Visual dissonance in relation to vestibular input (focusing on close object to the exclusion of distant objects while moving, IE puking after reading in a moving vehicle, watching you saw as the tree rebounds from top drop) 6. Previously mentioned evolution wanting something under your feet, not just a saddle under your butt.

I would guess one or more of the above. I would firmly rule out the wuss factor.

Thanks ozy. I think that pretty much sums it up. Most of my worries are just natural and simply reassuring that I am human, i guess.

The day you do not have an appreciation for height and gravity is the day you should stop climbing (or jumping as was the case when I first heard this). It is all about overcoming an inate fear, through a combination of good training, good equipment, practice and faith in you own ability.

Jumper said:
The day you do not have an appreciation for height and gravity is the day you should stop climbing (or jumping as was the case when I first heard this). It is all about overcoming an inate fear, through a combination of good training, good equipment, practice and faith in you own ability.

That just about sums it all up.

I get those butterfly/headspin feelings on occasion. Usually happens when the wind is acting against me. check and double check your equipment and attachments and go back to working the plan. One other important thing to remember is to stay hydrated at all times.

i have no fear of hieghts in a tree.i'm with masterblaster "the higher the better".trust your equipment,your rope or strop won't suddenly break for no reason.also know your own capabilities,never get yourself in a position were your not sure or confident you can do it.never be afraid to admit defeat and let a more experienced climber do it.

anyhow it's not falling that hurt's it's the sudden stop at the end

i dont worry about my gear failing- it aint gonna. i worry about the tree failing. but that has little to do w/how far off the ground i am. there are usually other factors @ work...

Michael B said:
That just about sums it all up.

I get those butterfly/headspin feelings on occasion. .

No sheet! Try looking straight down 12,500 feet!!! Then you get on with the program. Nothing like concentrating on a job at hand to rid yourself of the spin. There is a reason military mock jump towers are 34 feet above the ground, which is more or less what most climbers work at.....high enough to believe sincerely you will splat severely if you fall, but not so high that the ground becomes abstract. Personally I always still appreciated the ground even from 2 1/2 miles up.

Latest posts

Back