School me on stihl ipl's

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gr8mac

Spring Fling
Reaction score
What's it mean when there is a right pointing arrow, then a bar, then a number. Is the number a serial number? Does it mean up to that point or after? I am lost. :)

It will look like this: (only no dash in the arrow)

Part no.
---->| 33 5644 765

Ttt

The numbers above are not real, just an example. Help me help me. Need to buy some parts. :)

The first number in Stihls serial numbers only refer to country of origin...that's why you see the "x" on the ipl...so disregard the first number in your serial number. What is the serial number on the ipl of the part you are trying to find...the serial break if you will.

Well I am looking at an 066 IPL. Trying to figure out what coil I would need. The serial number of the saw starts with a one. It is the Arctic model. Same with the generator. One has one wire, one had two. It all depends on the serial I just needed to know how to interpret. ;-)

The 1 in your serial number only means it was made in Germany...ignore it...only the other 8 numbers matter when looking at serial breaks. So if your number is lower than the one in ipl itsa bingo. Now there were several coil/flywheel combos for the 066...I believe there's a guy on here that can pretty much recite the part numbers that go together from memory it would seem. It may be beneficial to search those old threads out if the search function works.

gr8mac

I appreciate your question on the parts IPL arrow graphics because I became frustrated
when I asked some dealers about it and they were evasive. Either they didn't understand it
themselves or else they didn't want me to know. With that in mind, I hope my following
interpretation proves helpful.

Note that there are two types of arrow-serial# combinations:
--------->I serial# and I---------> serial#
Whereas, sometimes you can get several arrow-serial number graphics
in close proximity to each other on a given page, it is helpful to consider
them as headers that refer to the part listed immediately below them in the column.
For example: I---------> 1 48 752 456 indicates that the part # below this graphic
occurs in machines with serial #'s 1 48 752 456 and LOWER.
Similarly, --------->I 1 48 752 457 indicates that the part below this graphic
ocurs in machines with serial #'s 1 48 752 457 and HIGHER.

Sometimes you can get a combination of serial #'s as well as a date thrown into the mix.
The following example is taken from page 5 of my 2006 version of an IPL for a Stihl MS260.
(The leftmost # is the part #.)
--------->I 1 62 154 675,
2 62 187 361 (07.2004)
1121 020 1203 Cylinder with piston 44mm

Because the first digit of the serial# refers to the country of orign (1=Germany, 2=US),
the above info means that German machines with serial #s 1 62 154 675 and LOWER
and US saws with serial #s 2 62 167 361 and LOWER used a 44mm cyl-piston assembly.
The (07.2004) code indicates that the changes are described in the technical information
bulletin dated July 2004. The bulletin may or may not be appended to your version of the IPL.
If it isn't, ask you dealer to print out the bulletin from their computerized IPL.

As another example, consider the folowing. When the switch over was made from a
44mm assembly to the larger 44.7mm assembly, several other parts were also changed.
On some machines a cooling plate was added between the cyl exhaust port and the muffler
gasket. This is indicated in the IPL as:
I---------> 1 62 154 676 (07.2004)
1121 141 3200 Cooling plate

The version of the IPL I have is dated 2006. However, subsequent revisions were made.
For instance, the cooling plate referred to above was later changed to a different style
in Dec 2007 which obviously doesn't show up on my earlier version of the IPL.

Therfore, the moral of the story is that if you are using your IPL to order parts from
your dealer, ask if there were any technical bulletins associated with the specific
parts your ordering. Even better, rubber neck over the counter so that you can see the
computer screen for yourself. When you see a screen that shows different versions of the
same part, look closely for a superscript at the end of the description. When that description
is clicked on, a technical bulletin may pop up on the screen. Some inexperienced
parts people may not be aware of this feature.

Hope this helps.

Wow, this totally clears up this issue. Thanks for the information!!!!

Back