Score and wood ID

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhoff310

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I was approached by a guy today who wanted to know if I wanted some wood. I told him I would be by after work and grab it. Here it is, I am not going to be able to take it all due to being behind on processing what I have in my backyard now. Here is the pics, what is is. Looks like a maple there is also some locust in the mix

Jeff

does have a strong odor, all oaks have a distinctive odor

red oak!?:dizzy: no way

i have no guess though, the bark looks a bit like ash on some of them, and like sassafras on others:confused:

I hit it with a maul today and it bounced right off. Finally on the 5th hit I managed to crack it about 4 inches from the edge, 2 more hearty swings I got one piece off. The piece I was swinging on didnt have any knots or anything else to prevent me from breaking thru it. I'm a big dude 5'9" 275 I can split just about anything with a maul but this stuff gave me a quick workout. The splits were fairly heavy for their size.
I will take a pic of the split so you guys can see the grain, I'm thinking maybe norway maple/ rock maple

Jeff

jhoff310 i have split a lot of wood and i know by looking at the bark that you my dear friend have a nice load of red oak and dont let anyone tell you different another dead give away is if it smells like cat piss than its red oak too just my two cents

happy cutting looks like a lot of fun great score :clap:

NOT red oak... The inside looks just WAY to light.

I'm gonna go with red maple.

Last edited:
Back